Best way to discourage cat from doing its business in my garden

Associate
Got a neighbours cat using my garden as a toilet, front and back gardens, anyway, wife and mother-in-law managed to tread in some and walk it into the house at the weekend. When wife confronted owner of said cat she was just told cats will do what cats will do and had the door slammed in her face.

Anyway, as I have asked this elsewhere and have been told much the same thing from cat owners I thought I would ask here - I don't want to do what many non cat owners have suggested but do want to stop this cat /independent creature.

In the back garden we have one of those cat sensor deterrent things, doesn't seem to do a lot. Have also spent £50+ on curry plants and the crystal smelling deterrents yesterday, also cleaned up the mess left behind from last nights visit - caught 2 year old daughter trying to stick it in her mouth, so what do people reccomend for getting rid of cat?

Matt

Soldato
anything citrus smelling- cats hate the smell

bottles of water in the flowerbeds [is clear plastic bottles filled with water]- not sure if there's any actual science behind this one, but I've heard of it and it might work

tin foil- its better for when they're clawing something like a tree, they hate the feel of it, might be worth putting it on the ground where the cat does his business

your own cat [provided it's not a wimp who won't fight for his territory]- sadly this will simple add the problem of your own cat doing business in the garden

if you ever catch it in the act, shout and charge at it [obviously it'll get away], then it'll think 'oh dear, if I go into that place a giant will try to kill me, better not go there'.

Associate
Every time you see the cat in your garden, chase it away. It'll soon get the message

Did this with the cats that had got used to using our garden as a toilet from before we moved in (previous owner an old lady with no pets).

The garden seemed to be used as a toilet by all the neighbourhood cats our cat wasnt really able to defend it on his own so needed a little help (elderly cat, new territory).

Every time I saw any other cat in our garden, I would quietly put my shoes on, unlock the door, then suddenly burst out of the house making loads of noise running straight for the cat. The cat would then leg it as fast as it could. Once I almost caught one of them when in a blind panic couldnt get out of the garden quick enough!

Now the only cat ******** in our garden, is ours! :)

Soldato
Put some chilli powder down, that'll get rid of the urge :p

Or could try the CDs method put them on a string or something

Or filled water bottle(s)

Or sprinkler with sensor

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom