best way to scrap a car these days?

Soldato
Leave the car in your local council estate over night. Open the doors and windows, leave the interior light on. It'll be like insects to a light bulb.

The thing will be striped by sunrise.

Soldato
I just got a car picked up from my work car park.

Got £150 for an older almera with no exterior lighting, no interior,siezed rear drums(with puncture) and the gearbox that doesn't work right.

Going straight into the crusher so stripped as much as I can to sell on the owners club.

The guy asked what I had been offered and I, stupidly, said nothing...I just wanted it away. So could have got more for it I guess?

Soldato
OP

Got £150 for an older almera with no exterior lighting, no interior,siezed rear drums(with puncture) and the gearbox that doesn't work right.

Going straight into the crusher so stripped as much as I can to sell on the owners club.

The guy asked what I had been offered and I, stupidly, said nothing...I just wanted it away. So could have got more for it I guess?

£150 is £150 dude

Soldato

Unless you were prepared to take a lot more off of it and sell on the bay, I doubt you'd have got much more for it, £150 is about the going rate for a scrapper vehicle at the moment.
It's done pretty much by weight so wouldn't have mattered if everything was seized broken or buggered. :D

Soldato
What's the equivalent price for age / mileage / spec on auto trader?

Does it run?

Get it stolen.
Claim on the insurance.
Profit.

More seriously, ebay is probably your best bet. Failing that, word of mouth to someone who might see a use for it - seems like you may already have an interested party here :D

Soldato
Unless you were prepared to take a lot more off of it and sell on the bay, I doubt you'd have got much more for it, £150 is about the going rate for a scrapper vehicle at the moment.
It's done pretty much by weight so wouldn't have mattered if everything was seized broken or buggered. :D

Aye that's what kieran said to me - it's going straight to get crushed.

The guy turned up and laughed at how little was left of it and agreed that was the best way to do it.

I only bought it for £200 iirc so getting near to breaking even.......

Soldato
What's the equivalent price for age / mileage / spec on auto trader?

Does it run?

Get it stolen.
Claim on the insurance.
Profit.

More seriously, ebay is probably your best bet. Failing that, word of mouth to someone who might see a use for it - seems like you may already have an interested party here :D

Worth a punt-o :D

Soldato
My mum has a 2000 Reg punto 1.2 that popped the head gasket, my dad drove over there and fixed it whilst it was parked on the road outside her house on the same day, so it can't be that big of a job on one of these?

Soldato
OP
My mum has a 2000 Reg punto 1.2 that popped the head gasket, my dad drove over there and fixed it whilst it was parked on the road outside her house on the same day, so it can't be that big of a job on one of these?

it's not for someone who knows what they are doing and has the time.

i went and saw the car last night, it's not in vgc at all tbh. there is a light on the dashboard of a steering wheel (power steering problem? that is on - don't think it was in city mode so not that) the drivers door check strap is on its way out), the exhaust knocks - want's adjusting, there's a nasty scratch/dent on the nsf wing and door, there's a small bit of black trim missing from the rear bumper, there are the usual small scratches on the paint, the drivers seat is worn and interior needs a valet.

i am going to bring it over to my house later and will photograph it so scubascorpion and others can see what it's like. i am being honest when i say i have no idea how what the problem is to be causing the steering wheel light to ignite? and don't want to sell something to anyone on here that may be more trouble than it's worth. will have the photo's up before 16:00 all being well.

it's far from a complete dog :D

Soldato
OP
car is now at mine. asked my brother about steering wheel light on dashboard, he says it only happens now and then (hmm?) usually if car has been stood.

have shown damage referred to, to wing, door not major but not nice either but on the plus side, there's lots of tread on the tyres and the car has never been crashed. i will take some of the interior once i've given it a quick hoover and then list it's pro's and cons, scubascorpion so you can decided whether it is for you or not.

dsc02791ng.jpg

dsc02792g.jpg

dsc02793n.jpg

dsc02794v.jpg

dsc02795bu.jpg

dsc02796o.jpg

dsc02797vi.jpg

dsc02798w.jpg

[
dsc02799i.jpg

dsc02800k.jpg

dsc02806t.jpg

dsc02805nb.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Meh, that'll buff out :D

Trust me your details / address if you want to sell it for £150 and I'll get it picked up.

Soldato
OP
the good points

fsh - main dealer serviced until 2005
2 owners total
spare red key (somewhere)
MOT - til january
Mileage - 91000
half a tank of fuel
good tyres
sensible colour
blaupunkt cd changer in boot
spare tyre intact and vgc

the bad points
head gasket failure
intermittent steering light on dash
bodywork isn't A1 but not awful, the usual light scratches, along with the deep scratch to wing and door
interior needs a valet and drivers seat is worn
exhaust needs refitting
car will need to be transported away

scubascorpion, please try and let me know if you would like this or not by this time tomorrow (or as early as possible tbf) as i will list it on the auction site with a reserve of £150 if not tomorrow evening. i would prefer to see it go to someone who will repair it but cash is king and it has to go to the crusher, so be it. there is road tax til january which i would be willing to keep on the car for a price, probably £5-£10 if this is required elst i will get the remainer refunded. :)

Soldato
OP
Meh, that'll buff out :D

Trust me your details / address if you want to sell it for £150 and I'll get it picked up.

please read my post above listing the good and bad and let me know if you're still interested. if we can come to some quick arrangement, i'll keep the tax on the windscreen for you and you can have it for £150.

ok. £150 and it's yours, will forward you my details :)

Soldato
Yep, that's fine.. I'll take it. :D

I can see you live at 22 somewhere...

Trust me your details and I'll get a mate to pop over with his transporter, the cash and take it away

Done, replied, DEAL. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
El Punto of fail is now in my possession and I shall endeavour to get my grubby paws inside it tomorrow to see if I can find out what's wrong with it.
Runs on three cylinders when cold LOLOL not a good start but hey ho, probably moisture in one of the cylinders from the HG failure.

Cheers Chris much appreciated. :D

Soldato
Does anyone know the best place in London to get a car collected for scrap?

Do many places pay for scrap AND collect? I can see plenty that offer to collect for free (this seems to be their main selling point) but don't appear to pay anything. The ones that offer to pay don't look particularly legit, although that may be me being a snob over website design.

Back
Top Bottom