• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

BF4 Retail CPU scaling measured

BF4 is not running smooth at all with my system! I have the graphics maxed out at 1080p and left the resolution scale (supersampling?) at 100%. This game stutters and jerks quite a bit :(.

Specs:

i7 3770k (stock 3.5GHz with 3.9GHz turbo on all cores)
3GB R9 280X Gigabyte Windforce OC graphics card (factory oc'd to 1100MHz)
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 RAM (2x4GB)
Windows 7 x64

Surely my PC should be able to run this game relatively smoothly maxed out at 1080p? All the latest drivers are installed too.

How much AA are you using? I doubt you'd be smooth at 4x MSAA.

I doubt overclocking will help as even if i set everything to low details the framerate still skips and stutters. It might be a driver issue or a game bug as i'm not the only one experiencing it... And there's also that weird out of focus colour bug that happens quite often.

Well, BF4 is the king of buggy games, and AMD is the king of buggy drivers, so try changing them to start with.

I heard it runs better on Windows 8, but Windows 7 should still work.

Well, BF4 is the king of buggy games, and AMD is the king of buggy drivers, so try changing them to start with.

I heard it runs better on Windows 8, but Windows 7 should still work.

Actually from my own experince, the AMD drivers for BF4 are pretty good particularly in crossfire (AMD's frame latency according to the press and Nvidia were once major issues), its the game thats killing system stability for most. The rumour is that in single player the game runs the same on win7 and win8, but that in 8 multiplayer is 10% faster. (Shockingly) I dont whether I believe that but that was pre AMD driver release and most of the benchmarks reference Beta performance comparisons.

I think Mantle will make any difference dedundant.

I doubt overclocking will help as even if i set everything to low details the framerate still skips and stutters. It might be a driver issue or a game bug as i'm not the only one experiencing it... And there's also that weird out of focus colour bug that happens quite often.

I've seen a lot of post on this forum where PC power users report that overlocking to 4.5Ghz+ removes the cpu bottleneck in single+multi gpu use for sandybridge, Ivy and Haswell. (i5/i7's)

Is the colour bug the EMP scan?

Is the colour bug the EMP scan?

Not sure? I can be playing a conquest match and sometimes the screen goes out of focus every few seconds with weird colours (like looking at an old 3d picture without the glasses)... It's really annoying!

Anyway, i can confirm that multiplayer appears to run fine with everything maxed at 1080p, but the single player campaign suffers from major frame drops no matter what settings i use.

Interesting pattern, what happens for underclock ?

I play BF4 often on older CPUs (Yorkfield), I find that 1 of eight cores is higher as in this group at about 80%, and the others are lower, Generally running about 60% overall. Funny thing though, if I roll it back to 2.8Ghz, the consumption is about the same ? fps drops a little and the game has less "ornamentation". Above 4Ghz, suddenly there are a lot more particles, sliding doors and explosions are more speccy. The GPU has no trouble rendering it, but CPU must be required to generate the artfacts.

Still 40% idle seems a bit much, it may be there is not the thread load to fill the others.

The grapics quality does not change much either but it seems AA improves after time ?

When changing maps, one core hits the ceiling for a second or so, so the game may be testing the rig.

I suspect frostbite may be undergoing some updates, as well as the game components.

Back
Top Bottom