Biennial MOT tests

Soldato
OP
So, after speaking to a DVSA inspector, it seems very likely that MOT's will be every two years for some cars.
What I could gather is that the failure rate is taken from main dealers and they're making a case that those cars do not need MOT'ing every year.
Now, I've spent most of my working life in main dealer workshops, and what happens there is that many of the cars are serviced first, then go for MOT.
If faults are found on the service that'll fail the MOT, then the customer is informed and the faults are corrected, hence the very low failure rate.
Where I work now, we always MOT the car first and then (if the repairs aren't too expensive) service it.

The whole thing is still apparently going to public consultation, so no idea what will actually happen.
My guess is that it'll be something like..
First MOT after 3 years, then every two years until the car is 7 years old, then back to every year, or something similar.

Anyhoo, that aside..
A customer brought a car in today that they'd just bought from auction and was complaining of it pulling to one side and also grinding when on right hand lock.
It had brand new pads and discs fitted and it's almost unbelievable that who fitted them didn't notice a certain problem.
I'll let you guys figure it out..

yA8PXtI.jpg
Ms45f4r.jpg
ZQInme3.jpg

Some people really shouldn't be allowed near a tool kit!

Soldato
So, after speaking to a DVSA inspector, it seems very likely that MOT's will be every two years for some cars.
What I could gather is that the failure rate is taken from main dealers and they're making a case that those cars do not need MOT'ing every year.
Now, I've spent most of my working life in main dealer workshops, and what happens there is that many of the cars are serviced first, then go for MOT.
If faults are found on the service that'll fail the MOT, then the customer is informed and the faults are corrected, hence the very low failure rate.
Where I work now, we always MOT the car first and then (if the repairs aren't too expensive) service it.

The whole thing is still apparently going to public consultation, so no idea what will actually happen.
First MOT after 3 years, then every two years until the car is 7 years old, then back to every year, or something similar.

Anyhoo, that aside..
A customer brought a car in today that they'd just bought from auction and was complaining of it pulling to one side and also grinding when on right hand lock.
It had brand new pads and discs fitted and it's almost unbelievable that who fitted them didn't notice a certain problem.

yA8PXtI.jpg
Ms45f4r.jpg
ZQInme3.jpg

I'm no mechanic, but it doesn't quite look right. At least the bolt was tight though :D . How does anyone consider that good, it's not even like it would have taken any more time to do it right as the bolts must have been loosened to get that off to apart with.

Soldato
I'm more astounded about none MOT's on 40 year old cars... of all the cars that NEED MOT's it's OLD CARS, insanity! so right now this is anything older than 1982... so from the 1970 to and during the 1980 produced some of the worst rot boxes known to man hahaha

Soldato
I'm more astounded about none MOT's on 40 year old cars... of all the cars that NEED MOT's it's OLD CARS, insanity! so right now this is anything older than 1982... so from the 1970 to and during the 1980 produced some of the worst rot boxes known to man hahaha

i believe the assumption is anyone driving a car that old is doing so as a classic enthusiast and is likely to both not drive their car much, and keep it in pristine condition.

Man of Honour

Anyhoo, that aside..

yA8PXtI.jpg
Ms45f4r.jpg
ZQInme3.jpg

Either completely the wrong discs, or venteds when it should have solids.

Don't worry, the wishbone will machine it away ;)

Soldato
OP
The disc is correct as are the suspension arm and bottom ball joint.
The problem is that someone has removed at some point the BBJ and has only used one of the 3 bolts to connect it again.
2 of the bolts are fitted to the arm but not to the ball joint, so its gone well out of alignment and is rubbing on the disc when on right hand lock.
Not all dangerous then.
Sadly I see stuff like this all too often.

Soldato
It wasn't even pivoting as that single bolt was done up so tight.
There was no movement, even when the disc was grinding on it :rolleyes:
I meant with one bolt in theres a chance to pivot when doing it up and misalign the other holes. If two bolts were bolted correctly, the 3rd hole would have no choice but to be in the right place. If you get what I mean.

Soldato
OP
I do, but I'm still amazed that anyone could be that stupid, despite seeing such poor workmanship more times than I care to remember.
Don't most people learn to do stuff right when Building Lego or Meccano? Surely common sense comes into play at some point?

Soldato
I now work with classic cars that are MOT exempt. Should see the state of some of them. Recently done brakes on an old Lancia, great big rust holes in it, with yellow chalk marks around it from the last MOT failure several years back.

I think the classics should at least have an MOT pass as their last MOT, if it fails then it should need to pass after that, rather than being able to drive off without a worry. Yes, in theory you're not supposed to drive it with known defects, but that doesn't stop anyone.

Man of Honour
I do, but I'm still amazed that anyone could be that stupid, despite seeing such poor workmanship more times than I care to remember.

The quality of workmanship at the VW commercial dealer I got my pickup from was incredibly bad (wrong tyres, packing things with grease instead of using a gasket, panels only held on by one bolt, etc.) - fortunately the Nissan main dealer who originally sold it have been sympathetic in resolving some of the issues the VW dealer caused.

I had steering issues with the truck awhile back including play in the steering wheel... took it to 4 garages who were like "we've checked all over it's fine we can't find anything wrong" - took it back to the Nissan dealer saying I wasn't happy and sure there was a problem and they got the master mechanic or whatever on it and he found play in the intermediate shaft u-joint in 2 seconds flat - something I'd discovered for myself but lacked the experience to know how much if any play was normal or not. Which leaves me somewhat stunned how many places couldn't identify the problem.

Soldato
The quality of workmanship at the VW commercial dealer I got my pickup from was incredibly bad (wrong tyres, packing things with grease instead of using a gasket, panels only held on by one bolt, etc.) - fortunately the Nissan main dealer who originally sold it have been sympathetic in resolving some of the issues the VW dealer caused.

I had steering issues with the truck awhile back including play in the steering wheel... took it to 4 garages who were like "we've checked all over it's fine we can't find anything wrong" - took it back to the Nissan dealer saying I wasn't happy and sure there was a problem and they got the master mechanic or whatever on it and he found play in the intermediate shaft u-joint in 2 seconds flat - something I'd discovered for myself but lacked the experience to know how much if any play was normal or not. Which leaves me somewhat stunned how many places couldn't identify the problem.
I think a lot of garage are just useless, the pictures posted in this thread prove it. The vast majority of motorists just don't notice the job is poorly done.

Soldato
OP
I’ve said it before on here, but the problem at main dealers is the bonus system they use.
For example, a tech will start earning bonus after completing say 8 hours of work, and after that will get £16 per every hour of work completed after that.
Whilst this was great for me working as a PDI tech/MOT tester, as I could easily get 5+ hours bonus a day, it’s not so easy for a service or diagnostic tech.
Those guys earn a higher salary, but rarely make good bonus.
The solution..
Rush through jobs or (I’ve seen it a million times) just don’t fit the awkward service items (diesel filters/plugs etc) and just lob them in the bin.
It’s very demotivating for the techs that like to do things right, but in doing so, don’t have chance of earning bonus.
What makes it worse is that all the dealers have the bonus charts up in the tea room, so everyone can see who’s earning the money.
Frustrating to see others earning £1500+ a month more than them because they’re doing the job right.
Horrid system.

Back
Top Bottom