Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I also have noticed the nights drawing in a bit more quickly now. How many of you guys are able to ride right through the winter? Do trail conditions prevent this somewhat or do you lap up the wet and tough conditions? I tend to ride after work so after the clocks go back it becomes difficult. Night rides with torches are good, but...not the same are they. You can't go as fast I find.

Another thing.... why do MTB manufacturers use such silly names for their gear? Terms like "stiffy" "handjob" "fatboy" "b1tch sticks" etc. I've actually had to turn down getting a product that was in stock, in my size and colour I wanted because it had something daft written down it (I have kids that will see it so...)

Soldato
CRC are doing 29% off brake components inc pads just now,

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s?q=hope+m4

I grabbed a set of Clarks organics for £4.99, should arrive today and I can replace my knackered OEM ones. Ok so they aren't the most amazing pads in the world but I just wanted a straight replacement for the original Hayes Stroker Ryde ones. :)

Are Clarks better than Superstar for pads? The prices are about the same, but Superstar pads are always that price.

For some reason my Shimano pads that came with my Deore brakes have lost all braking power. I have tried sanding them and cleaning with mucoff brake cleaner to no avail, so think I need some new ones.

Soldato
Lots of love and hate for superstar pads.

I'm in the love camp - never had any issues with them and lasted pretty well considering i'm very bad for dragging my brakes all the time!

Soldato
I'll be honest and say I've no idea what pads are better than others. I did Google a few different types before plumping for the Clarks ones and the only conclusion I could come to after doing a bit of net research was that everyone has different opinions about types of pads, which ones are good/bad etc. For every review saying 'Pad brand and type xxxxx are superb' you can find an equal amount of reviews saying the complete opposite and that 'Pad brand and type xxxxx are noisy, squeal, lack power and feel, eat my rotors'.

As I'm only fairly quick and don't go nuts on the trails on my hardtail Cube I just wanted an inexpensive replacement for the OEM pads that have served me well over their lifespan. I wasn't too fussed on price and as long as performance was up to standard in comparison to the OEM pads I would be happy. So I figured that if these Clarks organic ones at a fiver were good then I've scored a goal. If they were rubbish, noisy or didn't brake well then I'd hardly lost a fortune. Might be a bit of a simplistic way to look at it but then I've only been MTB'ing for 3 years so I'm none the wiser really. :D

Soldato
Random product impression:

www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Wheelsets,44/Spank/Oozy-26AL-EVO,11538

I got a set of these during the week, and from first impressions they look like they are set to be my new go-to recommendation AM wheelset, pushing Stans flow off their throne.
I've seen plenty of spank wheelset in the last few years (part of Maklu full builds) as well as components (stems bars etc). None of which has come close to the quality of finish on these.

The beadnip shape is also so good for running tubeless setup, I can't see these tyres burping at all, so definitely better than the Stans Flows in that respect. Got some Hams Dampfs and Nobby nicc combo on there and th wheelset is comi in so light, even at 650b size.

Off to Morzine this coming week, but will be tearing up Bike park Wales on them as soon as I'm back

Ps: Also got some Sank Spike pedals for the DH bike, OMG, didn't realise a pedal can be that sexy!

Comparible with the Crossmax SX weight wise. I'm on my 3rd freehub now. Well I will be when the part arrives. It's on backorder. :(

Fox F120's on the Blur are off to TFTuned tomorrow. Flexing like mad and making a knocking sound.

Fatty is breaking his bikes! :o

Caporegime
I also have noticed the nights drawing in a bit more quickly now. How many of you guys are able to ride right through the winter? Do trail conditions prevent this somewhat or do you lap up the wet and tough conditions? I tend to ride after work so after the clocks go back it becomes difficult. Night rides with torches are good, but...not the same are they. You can't go as fast I find.

Another thing.... why do MTB manufacturers use such silly names for their gear? Terms like "stiffy" "handjob" "fatboy" "b1tch sticks" etc. I've actually had to turn down getting a product that was in stock, in my size and colour I wanted because it had something daft written down it (I have kids that will see it so...)

I was out last winter in -8 (then add windchill to that!!), camalbak frozen by the time I hit the top of the climb and ice patches all over the trails. Was also pitch black, had only been riding a few months so it was awesome to me. I loved it.

Try to not let weather dictate wether I can ride or not. Plus lights are cheap these days, think mine was £60 and as bright as my mates £300 light.

I

Caporegime
I'll be honest and say I've no idea what pads are better than others. I did Google a few different types before plumping for the Clarks ones and the only conclusion I could come to after doing a bit of net research was that everyone has different opinions about types of pads, which ones are good/bad etc. For every review saying 'Pad brand and type xxxxx are superb' you can find an equal amount of reviews saying the complete opposite and that 'Pad brand and type xxxxx are noisy, squeal, lack power and feel, eat my rotors'.

As I'm only fairly quick and don't go nuts on the trails on my hardtail Cube I just wanted an inexpensive replacement for the OEM pads that have served me well over their lifespan. I wasn't too fussed on price and as long as performance was up to standard in comparison to the OEM pads I would be happy. So I figured that if these Clarks organic ones at a fiver were good then I've scored a goal. If they were rubbish, noisy or didn't brake well then I'd hardly lost a fortune. Might be a bit of a simplistic way to look at it but then I've only been MTB'ing for 3 years so I'm none the wiser really. :D

I had some clarks on my Juicy 3s, swapped them out for some Avids as I got fluid over the clarks and well the clarks were much better.

Soldato
Night riding is great. You might not actually go as fast as you do in daylight but it feels much faster.
Frozen trails are usually faster (and grippier - as long as there isnt ice on top) than dry summer conditions.
The clocks going back and the switch to night riding is quite relaxing. No more rushing home from work to try and squeeze in 45 mins before it gets dark. You can take your time and go out whenever you want.

Caporegime
Night riding is great. You might not actually go as fast as you do in daylight but it feels much faster.
Frozen trails are usually faster (and grippier - as long as there isnt ice on top) than dry summer conditions.
The clocks going back and the switch to night riding is quite relaxing. No more rushing home from work to try and squeeze in 45 mins before it gets dark. You can take your time and go out whenever you want.

Yeah it feels very quick!

Though our trails had ice over the top of it, first experience of the rear wheel sliding was erm pretty surprising!

Soldato
Yeah, ice on top makes things interesting. I nearly ended up in the canal last year :(
Some trails are better frozen though, deep mud which is difficult to ride through in the warmer months freezes solid and you can float over the top of it.

Quite looking forward to some winter riding at the moment, i'm sure the novely will soon wear off tho.

Do you think we'll get enough snow this year to justify buying a fatbike? :p

Soldato
I continue to commute on the road throughout the winter (I too love those crisp, dry and cold pitch black mornings :D ) but usually save the MTB'ing for the weekends in the daylight. I want to try a bit of night riding on my local trails this year though, my road bike lights are more than up to it so quite looking forward to having a go.

Caporegime
I continue to commute on the road throughout the winter (I too love those crisp, dry and cold pitch black mornings :D ) but usually save the MTB'ing for the weekends in the daylight. I want to try a bit of night riding on my local trails this year though, my road bike lights are more than up to it so quite looking forward to having a go.

It is one of the best thing's I've ever done, pitch black is best as it obviously helps the lights work to there full affect.

Soldato
Yeah, ice on top makes things interesting. I nearly ended up in the canal last year :(
Some trails are better frozen though, deep mud which is difficult to ride through in the warmer months freezes solid and you can float over the top of it.

Quite looking forward to some winter riding at the moment, i'm sure the novely will soon wear off tho.

Do you think we'll get enough snow this year to justify buying a fatbike? :p

I'm very tempted to get me a Fatbike anyway! I think they look fun! :D

Soldato
They dont actually seem to be as slow as they look. I know a guy who has one and he has no bother keeping up with us. He has also taken it on 100+ mile rides.

I think it would make a great addition to the fleet, but they are still a fairly new concept and very expensive for what they are.

Soldato
Yeah, I'd like someone to make some suspension forks for them :p I'd like to get one, but be able to put my own wheels in as well (get some built) so it could be used as a Fatbike or a standard Hardtail.

I might have to look into an On One Fatty in the near future! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom