Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I fancy trying clipless again, got my eyes on the Crank Brothers Candy pedals. I wasn't a huge fan of SPD due to the lack of movement i understand Crank Brothers allows more before disengaging?

Soldato
So where is the quality lacking, if its the bearings surely you can just use some better quality ones. Ive heard the newer stuff like the Mallet DH pedals are much better.

Soldato
So where is the quality lacking, if its the bearings surely you can just use some better quality ones. Ive heard the newer stuff like the Mallet DH pedals are much better.

The bearings and the cages are knackered on mine (2 pairs of candys).

In fact, I think I might still have them kicking around. If you want, i'll send you them. They wont be much use for riding on but it'll give you an idea of the release angles.

Soldato
No its fine, they do sound like best avoided. Shimano SPD just seem to work maybe a revisit can get a pair for less than £20. What about Time ATACs?

Soldato
No its fine, they do sound like best avoided.

As long as you dont expect them to last forever, you wont be disappointed in them.

As I said, I have recently moved to shimano. My main requirement at the moment is reliability leading up to a race in May. As soon as that is over i'll be swapping back to Crank Bros. To me, buying a new pair every 6 months or so is an acceptable price to pay for a pedal system I like better.

Soldato
Dont they have a 5 year warranty, cant you just claim a new pair every 6 months.

I would not accept them only lasting anything under a few years.

Soldato
I fancy trying clipless again, got my eyes on the Crank Brothers Candy pedals. I wasn't a huge fan of SPD due to the lack of movement i understand Crank Brothers allows more before disengaging?

If coming from flats, 100% do not go for the candys. Mallet or Mallet DH will feel an awful lot more stable!

Soldato
from what ive read / heard / seen

CB products are fine unless they have a moving part or bearing in

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/crank-brothers-yes-or-no
http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/dear-crank-bros

http://theteamrobot.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/breaking-news-from-team-robot_20.html

Jim Brownrigg, Crankbrothers' head of engineering elaborates: "To make sure that high-end wheel consumers would be completely stunted in any and all attempts to replace or repair their damaged wheels, we had to strategically optimize every wheel component to be slightly different than the part it's replacing, while being functionally identical to the wheels we launched in 2005. Eliminating all backwards compatibility was a big challenge for us, but with a lot of hard work we made it happen."

lol :D:D:D

Soldato
The XT is OK - but IMO the best "crossover" pedals are Mallet DH.

Maybe this is just me, not being able to clip in at all / doesn't suit me - but the Mallet DH is the closest I came to feeling comfortable on a clipped in pedal.

XTR trail - felt like I was on my tippy toes trying to balance on the pedal - I can only imagine the candy being far worse being so tiny.
Same with the Shiman DX (even though the platform was bigger).

Then tried Mallet DH after I got sick of it all (tried someone else's), and it felt rather good. The combination of using a softer soled shoe (Five ten clipped in shoe rather than the than the shimano shoes I owned), bigger platform of the Mallet DH, and more "float" they provide, I nearly felt at home on someone else's borrowed kit.

Soldato
The Mallet DH sound perfect. That's the exact feel i'm after, flats but attached. I don't mind spending time servicing stuff ie cleaning and greasing them.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the latest 5.10 clips (five ten impact vxi clipless) in will be even better than the ones i tried. Super lightweight and you can move the cleat backwards a fair old bit too.

Similar to how any bike I ride must give me that "in" the bike feeling (as opposed to feeling like I'm perched on top of it), I need to feel "in" the pedal... instead of trying to perform a balancing act on top :p

That's a good £200+ to invest though in the setup described above, so I can't be arsed taking another gamble... just in case I still can't fully commit to it. Wish I bought this combo to start with :(

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/c...-five-ten-impact-vxi-clipless-shoes-14-48787/

http://enduromag.com.au/site/enduro...s-mallet-dh-race-pedals-on-review-enduro-mag/

5 year warranty and apparently, they also are far better than all the CB crap that came before

Last edited:
Associate
YT's prices are incredible, it must be giving some of the competition some nervous moments. I'm not really in the market right now but if I was... the few bikes I'd prefer cost at least double the YT, it'd be really hard to justify them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom