Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Dude, if you get wind of a spare ticket that day, plllleeassse hit me up. I'm meant to be coming too but spent the night puking my guts up when I was supposed to be booking. So gutted. Still doing FoD the day after though.

I usually just buy a whole bunch if a few of us are going, but had to reel it in this time around as I wasn't sure when I'd be employed next :p

I'll keep an ear to the ground, Ian's also been asking (for you) and no one has any. Will keep you posted though if anything changes.

Good fun up at Rogate today - Reign is so gooooood

10993422_10205469775131155_6358625603408867668_n.jpg

10406446_10205469781771321_871691408434017552_n.jpg

10991167_10205469787611467_3105792671988241822_n.jpg

10978714_10205469785091404_8177196232344700398_n.jpg

Soldato
Supercow how do you weedy skinny arms not snap from dem jumps?

Well, the jumps were tiny for one and wouldn't snap a thing, but mostly I got 99 problems but my gunz aint one.

Respectable :) hmm

light enough to pedal around all day then...

Well, yea - never going to be an XC whippet, but that's not the bikes I like. Overall weight doesn;t make such a big difference (within reason), most of it is in wheelset. If you have the same light wheelset on two bikes that both have good suspension that pedals well, but one is a couple or so pounds heavier than the other overall, I sincerely doubt you will notice any climbing difference

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, yea - never going to be an XC whippet, but that's not the bikes I like. Overall weight doesn;t make such a big difference (within reason), most of it is in wheelset. If you have the same light wheelset on two bikes that both have good suspension that pedals well, but one is a couple or so pounds heavier than the other overall, I sincerely doubt you will notice any climbing difference

Just trying to spec up some new potential bikes you see.

Gotta sell (potentially) the Intense first.

Soldato
They look like pretty big jumps! Props

Nah, not being all bravado, but they're pretty negligible. One of the drops look fairly big when you push back up, but they're all the baby jumps.

aaah was going to brogate but no one was about

bored of bimbling trails and uphills now - just going to ride rogate and tidders all year for me :p

I'll let you know next time I head up - Woburn Sands a bit far for you I suppose?

Just trying to spec up some new potential bikes you see.

Gotta sell (potentially) the Intense first.

The weight has more to do with your components, than frame. You hardly find THAT much difference between AM bike frames (all without a pound, 2 at the absolute most between them - but that's pretty much an extreme example). Granted, it's nice to have a light frame as well, so you don't need to be AS picky about your expensive components. Like I mentioned earlier, when it comes to weight, for me it's more important to get a light (but strong) wheelset, then light frame and the rest to follow (can upgrade the rest when money allows).

Soldato
Like I mentioned earlier, when it comes to weight, for me it's more important to get a light (but strong) wheelset, then light frame and the rest to follow (can upgrade the rest when money allows).

Nice pics! Looks a lot of fun.

What kind of weight is decent for a wheelset?

My bike came with alpha enduro's I think they are about 1900 grams per wheelset.

The carbon ones are like 1500 quid and shaving like 4-500 grams off max!

Soldato
1600 to 1800 imo is pretty light for an alu wheelset on an AM bike and should still be strong enough, particularly set-up tubeless.
1900 isn't light, but certainly not too heavy - the wheelset in that pic is around 2100, plus whatever the cheap cassette / rotors and Schwalbe Super Gravity set of tyres on is.
Go tubeless (if they are compatible?) and you will feel the difference straight off the bat.

I went on an XC ride the day before these pics were taken, and I managed easily (the tyres roll fairly well for what they are)

500 grams off a wheelset is enormous though. The difference in bike handling is significant. I'm still unsure about carbon rims / wheelsets as they are super stiff and can transfer that over stiffness through to the ride, resulting in being pinged around a bit or feedback through the suspension.

Edit:

http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=12722816

Very good weight at 1850, I wouldn't change them for the sake of changing. Put some yellow rim strip and valves on there, cup of stan's jizz and you're ready to rock boobless.

Last edited:
Soldato
1600 to 1800 imo is pretty light for an alu wheelset on an AM bike and should still be strong enough, particularly set-up tubeless.
1900 isn't light, but certainly not too heavy - the wheelset in that pic is around 2100, plus whatever the cheap cassette / rotors and Schwalbe Super Gravity set of tyres on is.
Go tubeless (if they are compatible?) and you will feel the difference straight off the bat.

I went on an XC ride the day before these pics were taken, and I managed easily (the tyres roll fairly well for what they are)

500 grams off a wheelset is enormous though. The difference in bike handling is significant. I'm still unsure about carbon rims / wheelsets as they are super stiff and can transfer that over stiffness through to the ride, resulting in being pinged around a bit or feedback through the suspension.

Edit:

http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=12722816

Very good weight at 1850, I wouldn't change them for the sake of changing. Put some yellow rim strip and valves on there, cup of stan's jizz and you're ready to rock boobless.

Haha stans jizz :D

Sweet yeah I won't change them.

My frigging chain snapped on saturday when I was 4 miles into the woods. The sram shifter I have got lets me triple upshift, and when I tried it going up a hill something went wrong and snapped the chain (kmc 11).

I've got a shimano xtr chain on know which feels a lot better quality. And a chain tool for if it happens again!

Oh I have also noticed that backpedalling on my 42 granny cog causes the chain to come off, but I have lookeed into it an apparrently its quite common on 42 1x11 setups due to the angle between the chainring and gear. Normal?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom