Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Motion control just means that it will ride nice under your settings until it takes a big hit and a blow off valve opens up for bigger hits. Just how the damping works.

The red rebound at the bottom is how fast the fork comes back up to you, I like mine fast but you can make it slower depending where you ride.

The blue Compression knob is how fast the fork goes through it's travel,you can set this slow or however you like but if you hit something big the motion control should help absorb big hits. I think when you turn this fully the fork locks out?

The black knob on the top will turn and the fork will reduce in travel, drops the front end making it better for climbing or tighter more technical trails.

c27e6df6.jpg

So here the blue one when fully turned locks the fork, when turned fully the other way allows the fork to take bumps quickly, half way it'll bump up and compress abit less for the same sized bump?

The black on here when turned all the way in one direction will make the fork feel more rigid and only compress alittle and the other way will make it feel more spongy and will compress a lot further?

dd4fa685.jpg

This one on the bottom is what you were saying about the fork coming back, does that mean that when fully turned clockwise it'll make the fork spring back out to its full length quicker?

8e6e8765.jpg

And this on the otherside of the bottom I'm guessing is just a screw to keep it together? :D

Sorry for all the daft questions I just want to know what the bits do before I go changing anything :)

Soldato
Pretty much that but the rebound just works on the return of the fork. It should come up pretty fast with it off and feel sluggish with it on. The black cap is just a small cap with an allen key in it.

Soldato
Rebound is how quick the fork rebounds, so yes, how quick it goes back to full travel (or sag at least). Too slow and it'll bog down in repeated bumps and not have the full travel available to deal with them. Too fast and it'll bounce back and make the bike feel nervous and erratic.

The black dial on top is the U-Turn dial which allows you to alter the travel and length of the fork depending on what you're riding.

Associate
I was thinking about going down to Dalby Forest next weekend, however i have never been before and am currently saving up funds for my new bike.

The bike i am currently riding is a Univega Alpina Racelite 500, with Michelin country Gravel tyres, nothing special at all but it serves its purpose for now.

Am i likely to struggle on the harder trails on this bike, i wouldnt say i am a great rider but i do like to push hard (too hard sometimes) or is it worth holding out until end of august early september when i get the new bike (looking like a Genesis Core 10, Ridgeback MX5 or a Carrera Fury) so that i can fully appreciate the trails?

Associate
Rebound is how quick the fork rebounds, so yes, how quick it goes back to full travel (or sag at least). Too slow and it'll bog down in repeated bumps and not have the full travel available to deal with them. Too fast and it'll bounce back and make the bike feel nervous and erratic.

The black dial on top is the U-Turn dial which allows you to alter the travel and length of the fork depending on what you're riding.
Pretty much that but the rebound just works on the return of the fork. It should come up pretty fast with it off and feel sluggish with it on. The black cap is just a small cap with an allen key in it.

Great, thanks for the help guys. Guess it's just a case of me seeing how I prefer it to be set up now I know what's changing what!

Soldato
DHX 5.0 @ 215mm eye to eye
Vivid 5.1 @ 222mm eye to eye

I measured the BB height at 14.5" unsprung with fork set @ 160mm. The head angle will also be slightly steeper but I would have to get the correct weight of spring to see how it feels and if it's to my taste.

I'm hearing good things about the Vivid. It would be nice to try it on the Heckler.

coils.jpg

Soldato
I have 661 Filters that I used with MG1's. They work fine. Also used them with Eggbeaters no problem. If you use the shoes with the cleats still in when on flats they can scrape some pedals, although I don't think it was tha bad with the MG1's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom