Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I ended up going from :

Shimano Deore hubs & Mavic XC317 rims to Hope Pro 2 hubs and DT 5.1 rims with an XT cassette.

Was going to go Mavic 719, but there ended up being lead times on those so I went with my alternative choice :)
Really like the wheelset though, tough, solid and hasn't skipped a beat yet.

The weight did increase, but I feel much more confident in my wheels now. Not felt any different riding though with the increased weight.

Soldato
Rockrider bikes are probably the best value bikes available which makes them a great buy to get into riding.

I wouldn't do anything too big on them though as this might happen : http://www.mtbe.co.uk/dalby-forest-day-out-with-pics-contains-bike-gore-t10094.html

When I first saw the pic, I thought someone had cut the frame to rob it :p

Associate
IMG_2690.jpg

Thought id post a pic of my Enduro.Only thing i plan on changing is maybe the rear tyre for somthing lighter and some superstar nano techs.

Over the past week or so ive fitted a joplin,KNC,SLX cassette,Spesh phenom saddle and the 2.5 high roller.

Also fitted some ultrafire P7s 900-lumen torches to the bars with the nights drawing in which are incredible for the price even though they do have a 1hr run time at full brightness:p

Happy with the way it is now so thought id post a pic:)

Soldato
That looks great... trust me though... get a coil shock on that bad boy and it'll actually feel like you have rear suspension :D best upgrade I've done after the adjustable post.
I've been thinking about sticking an RC4 on my Enduro but the weight is stopping me. The RP23 is a good compromise between plushness and weight, defo going to upgrade next year.

Soldato
IMG_2690.jpg

Thought id post a pic of my Enduro.Only thing i plan on changing is maybe the rear tyre for somthing lighter and some superstar nano techs.

Over the past week or so ive fitted a joplin,KNC,SLX cassette,Spesh phenom saddle and the 2.5 high roller.

Also fitted some ultrafire P7s 900-lumen torches to the bars with the nights drawing in which are incredible for the price even though they do have a 1hr run time at full brightness:p

Happy with the way it is now so thought id post a pic:)

Looks great! I'd angle the saddle down alittle if your trying for kids in the future. ;)

Soldato

Change that POS rear shock too. ;)

Looks great! I'd angle the saddle down alittle if your trying for kids in the future. ;)

It shows he is actually riding some proper trails. ;)

Me during a 30 mile training session ride @ Cannock.

Cool picture. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Change that POS rear shock too. ;)

I didnt plan on changing it but with all this talk about the crappy rear shock i probably will end up doing.

One thing about coil....Im 10st wet through will i see the benefits of the coil shock with me being a lightweight?

What coil would you guys recommend?

Thanks

Soldato
Purple_Head on here has a Pushed Van R coil on his. He said it's a completly different bike. Much much better. Andelusion got a DHX 5 with Ti Spring for his. He is pretty happy with it too.

I could never get the Special Ed shock set up right. It was either way too slow and sticky or would blow through the travel easily. It was always a compromise. The shock makes the back end flexy too. Not what you need on an FSR bike that loses some rigidity by the nature of its design. Albeit small granted.

Andelusion confirmed my thoughts when I asked him if the rear felt stiffer. He thought it was just him. lol

Yes you will notice a difference even if you are lightweight. Ichabod Crane weighs about 4 stone and gets on ok with his coil shock.

Air shocks have no place on an AM bike IMO.

Soldato
Air shocks have no place on an AM bike IMO.
Maybe, maybe not. Some DH riders at the World Champs at Canberra in 2009 were running air shocks. In my opinion if you need to ride up as well as down then a decent air shock is the way to go.
For sure the Specialized AFR shock isn't the greatest.

weescott - are you coming on Saturday?

Soldato
Aye, the new RS air shock might change that. Adressing the overheating problems that the Fox DHX Air had when it was seen as a possible DH shock back in 2005ish.

Unfortanatly I have had to cancel at the last minute for the weekend. A pal who I was going to share driving with had to cancel as he has to do Gritting. We had snow today. :( I was all set to meet Ichabod Crane in York and get a lift with him but he had a bad car crash today. He has muscle damage in his leg so he will be out of action for a while. It's not my place to say much apart from get well soon Mr and Mrs Ichabod Crane.
:(

Soldato
I can definitely echo the rear shox adding to the stiffness, I thought I was imagining it, but then was talking to weescott and he mentioned it, quite a surprise :D I noticed it when on tarmac, standing up and mashing hard.

You should look out on the bike forums (bike radar, singletrack mag, southern downhill, pinkbike*) classifieds for some second hand bargains, I got my DHX5 with ti spring for £180, the spring along would be over £200 new, anything like a DHX or Vanilla R could be had cheap just to see what the shock experience feels like. At 10 stone you should be able to get a spring weighted fine and there's tonnes of adjustment there on the DHX5 models.

*has a bad reputation but I bought my new forks from there - my first purchase, and the guy was genuine/polite, just stay out of the forum

Last edited:
Associate
I can definitely echo the rear shox adding to the stiffness, I thought I was imagining it, but then was talking to weescott and he mentioned it, quite a surprise :D I noticed it when on tarmac, standing up and mashing hard.

You should look out on the bike forums (bike radar, singletrack mag, southern downhill, pinkbike*) classifieds for some second hand bargains, I got my DHX5 with ti spring for £180, the spring along would be over £200 new, anything like a DHX or Vanilla R could be had cheap just to see what the shock experience feels like. At 10 stone you should be able to get a spring weighted fine and there's tonnes of adjustment there on the DHX5 models.

*has a bad reputation but I bought my new forks from there - my first purchase, and the guy was genuine/polite, just stay out of the forum

Yeah theres one going on singletrack ive got my eye on

Soldato
Chain looks a little slack :p
Yeah I spotted that so I looked at all of the other photos taken at the same point and in every photo the bike has the chain doing the same.

I'm happy with the chain length on that bike, probably just the length changing as the rear shock compresses :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom