Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Thanks, just wanted to double check really i know there pretty much standard.

Actually is it possible to mount bigger disc on these mounts, noticed some of the 185mm kits are cheaper than the 160mm kits. Does the IS mount/bracket that comes with these simply reposition the caliper to the correct position (would make sense).

Sorry if this is an obvious answer, i just know very little about bikes or where to look.

Yes. A different mount moves the caliper out so you can fit a bigger rotor.

I wouldn't be looking at any of those brakes you mentioned earlier as a replacement unless your current brakes are totally fubar?

Associate
is there a good app for android to track your route, speed and that?
i just can't justify spending £300 on one of these gps computer things.
they look good but it just won't be used that often.

Soldato
I use Runkeeper. If you download it from the Market in January, you can get it FREE (RunKeeper Pro) which normally costs $9.99 and its then free for life.

Means you can use it for all diff sports and it uploads to their website showing a map and stats (calories burned, avg speed, min/mile etc)

Soldato
Forks are set up slightly differently in that you may need to be stood up on the bike to set the sag. It's slightly more personal to riding style.

I have tried to setup my own forks but I don't see much difference. They are Suntour V3 80mm on the Hardrock. I turn the pre-load and it clicks plenty but doesn't seem to make much difference.

I appreciated that 80mm is not much travel but you'd expect it to iron out bumps on cyclepaths etc....

Soldato
I have tried to setup my own forks but I don't see much difference. They are Suntour V3 80mm on the Hardrock. I turn the pre-load and it clicks plenty but doesn't seem to make much difference.

I appreciated that 80mm is not much travel but you'd expect it to iron out bumps on cyclepaths etc....

WIthout meaning to sound like a ****, it could just be the forks are just rubbish. You don't get much forks at that price level.

Soldato
which bike?

Specialized FSR XC Pro
Specialized Camber FSR Comp
Trek Fuel EX6

i used to have the 2008 fsr cx pro (cost £1500 back in the day) and liked it a lot. but not sure if the camber comp would be better than the xc pro?im assuming not. (all the same price btw just under £1300)

Rereading this last page. Camber FSR Comp. FSR XC is or will be very soon discontinued.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just having a little think about where I can upgrade my bike and the gears seem like the first place I should start (4/5 year old Acera 8 speed), i'm not looking to spend a lot but I don't want to buy something that will only last a year. Do people rate the Shimano XT M772/M771?

I use the bike for riding to/from gym, an occasional bit of off-roading and the L2B this year.

Soldato
That looks quite appealing so i'll keep it in mind. Would you reccomend upgrading the cassette, chain etc with the derailleurs? The bike in question is an Avalanche 3.0.

It's up to you, but if you replace either the chain/cassette/chainrings. You *might* have to change them all depending on how worn they are.

FYI you can mix 8/9/10 speed parts but it's never going to have amazing shifting. Sometimes it's much easier to start from scratch so if anything doesn't work you only have yourself to blame. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom