Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
God that was a faff.

Right my rear pro 2 is now a 10mm bolt through using a DT Swiss RWS axle, with entirely brand new bearings throughout (packed with grease as they were as dry as a camel's ballsack). If my lights arrive tomorrow then I'll give it a test ride.

Managed to make it a 2hr job even with the proper hope tools! Getting the freehub seal back on is a pain especially when you're expecting a nice satisfying *click* like in the official rebuild video.

Official vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdgUvv76H28 (this is a great vid but it leaves out a bit of information i.e what's a 'step' on the spacers, and which way round to install the disc-side seal (that you put meth spirits on).

This site also has some good up-close pictures:
http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/features/maintenance/hope-pro-ii-rear-hub-service.htm

Hopefully this'll work as a reference for anyone else!

Soldato
What they don't mention is how the official Hope bearings rust inside the freehub making them a real biatch to remove. The end caps were so badly seized I needed a vice to get one out.
The Freehub on mine was seized on. To remove the freehub I had to keep the cassette on and hit it from the non drive side with a screwdriver and hammer.

:o

Soldato
Nice to see people getting out on their bikes so early on in the year. Should really get my act together and get out on my replacement Hardrock... Have to agree about the comment on the tyres though, they do slip a bit when it's very wet :(

Last edited:
Soldato
They went for a "jack of all trades master of none" tyre on the Hardrocks by all accounts so the tread is not very deep to supposedly decrease rolling resistance :rolleyes:... TBH, the only time I had a problem was on a carpet of soaking wet leaves on a steep hill. Had to get off and push :(

Apart from that, I can't really fault it as a "starter" bike to get you into things without breaking the bank... Least it ain't some daft colour like, I dunno... Yellow ;):p

Soldato
They went for a "jack of all trades master of none" tyre on the Hardrocks by all accounts so the tread is not very deep to supposedly decrease rolling resistance :rolleyes:... TBH, the only time I had a problem was on a carpet of soaking wet leaves on a steep hill. Had to get off and push :(

Apart from that, I can't really fault it as a "starter" bike to get you into things without breaking the bank... Least it ain't some daft colour like, I dunno... Yellow ;):p

Very true. My Hardrock is my first bike since I was wee, so I wanted something that wasn't too expensive, but I could expand on. At the end of the day, the guys in the shop said the frame was pretty damn good, and you can change everything else on it anyway.

Good way to start I thought.

Soldato
Same reason here... Supposedly the frame is very good although I guess people in here with more experience could comment a bit better about that.

If I use it a lot then I am guessing, changing the fork and brakes (maybe gears ??) would make a cracking HT ??

Soldato
Not sure if anyone is interested in a bike stand (for cleaning/repairs) but just come across the ParkTools PCS10 at a cracking price £98.95 delivered (sells for upto £135 normally) - http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+...+PCS10+Home+Mechanic+Workstand_PARK-PCS10.htm

PARK-PCS10.jpg

ATM, they are doing a special offer on all their stuff and increases with the more you spend so, by the time you get to checkout its £98.95 delivered

Soldato

That's the one I've just ordered, should arrive tomorrow.

I'm back from my first night ride! Using a Magicshine MJ816 light ('1400' lumens one).

Massive fun, I mounted it on my helmet which was perfect, managed to get it angled just right so I could see far enough ahead - riding at night is certainly a good way to practise looking ahead on the trail. I honestly don't think you need anything more than this single light (for the front anyway), MAYBE if you were riding a new trail at night it'd be useful to have another mounted to the bars - but I'd be surprised if people did this often. On one of the descents I was literally able to hit it as fast as I do during the day - also my Enduro is ****ing awesome, I'd forgotten how plush the rear is with the DHX5 and the 10mm through axle upgrade seems to have stiffened things up nicely :D :D, anyway

The different modes are useful, although it is almost too bright on full power (I'm wary of blinding other people on the trail - one walker said it was bright and it was on low power :o )

For £90 plus about a tenner for the extension lead (which turns out I didn't even need thanks to the headphone hole in my camelback pocket) it's a fantastic purchase - now makes it possible to ride during the week instead of waiting until the weekend.

The build quality seems good and it's fairly light (battery pack is quite heavy) some people have had them going for 18 months (and still going) with the old battery (now they have an updated one), if it lasts that long then I'll be quite happy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom