Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I did something last night that could be seen as an EPIC FAIL.

I was trying to put in a new gear cable for the rear mech and couldn't get the cable in the shifter as the little stopper on the X7 shifter had forced its way inside. I couldn't get it out so had to take apart the shifter....... As soon as I opened it, and not knowing what was inside, the spring flew out and hit me in the eye :( But atleast I got the stopper out...

Anyway, I tried and failed many times to coil the spring back up and put it in so thought it would be a brilliant idea to open up the front shifter to see how the spring went in. PING! That flew out too. So there I am with 2 shifters in peices and no clue how to put them back together :(

A few hours passed and lots of swearing and still no futher forward I decide it might be better to just buy new ones. I was just about to hit buy on a set of X9s from CRC and thought I'd have one last go at putting the spring back in. Well I got it back in and the cable fed through and the rear does shift now. I'm not convinced its 100% correct but it may just need a bit of fine adjustment. Still got to do the front shifter tonight, hopefully I'll managed to get it all back together and working but I'm not too confident.

A lesson and warning for all, never open the casing of an X7 shifter (probably any type for that matter) without knowing what's in there.

This has been a public service announcement brought to you by ME!

Soldato
The difference is the bead hook. The UST system has the best seal between the rim and tyre of all the tubeless systems. Tubeless ready rims might not have sealed eyelets or have the UST bead hook.

UST tyres have thicker sidewalls and don't require sealant. The downside is they are heavier.

Tubeless Ready tyres have thinner sidewalls and require sealant. But some will have the bead hook (eg Stans or UST) making them less likely to 'burp' off the rim, which is what some ghetto tubeless setups can do.
So is UST the name of the tubeless system, or a manufacturer of tubeless bits?

I'm assuming that despite the weight penalty, UST is the way to do it if you can afford all the kit?

Soldato
UST is Mavic's own patent. Overall weight can be negligable when you take tubes/tyres/wheels into consideration. As far as I know UST tyres on UST rims are pretty much failproof when it comes to compatibility. Stans tubeless system is generally lighter but compatibility of tyres can be an issue.

I have the new Nobby Nic UST & Tubeless ready tyres to experiment with on my UST wheels. Also need to convert my Stans rims to tubeless at some point too. So many variations to try. :s :D

Underboss
Need to get back in the saddle after 6 years away, so ordered a new bike !!!

Ordered the new GT Avalanche 1.0
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-avalanche-10-disc-2011/

Specifications

Top Features of the GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc 2011
Frame: Hydroformed, 6061-T6 Aluminium, Triple triangle design, W/ Zero stack head tube, disc mount, replaceable derailleur hanger
Fork: Rockshox Tora 302, 120mm travel, steel stanchions, magnesium leg, W/ rebound adjust & lockout.
Chainset: Shimano FC-M442, 44/32/22t
BB: Shimano BB-ES25
Pedals: GT Slim Line flat pedal, cast alloy
Front Mech: Shimano Deore, FD-M590
Rear Mech: Shimano RD-M772-SGS, XT Shadow, 9SPD
Shifters: Shimano Deore, SL-M590, Rapid Fire
Cassette: Shimano CS-HG30-9, 9 SPD, 11-34t
Chain: HG53
Rims: Alex TD24, 32h
Front Tyre: Maxxis Mobster, 26x2.35”
Rear Tyre: Maxxis Mobster, 26x2.10”
Front Hub: All Terra alloy disc, W/ quick release
Rear Hub: All Terra alloy cassette disc, W/ quick release
Spokes: 14g Stainless
Nipples: Brass
Front Brake: Shimano BR-M445, W/ 180mm Rotor
Rear Brake: Shimano BR-M445, W/ 160mm Rotor
Brake Levers: Shimano BL-M445
Handlebars: All Terra 6061 Aluminium riser, 685mm width, 25mm rise, 31.8mm clamp
Stem: All Terra 1 1/8th threadless, 3D Forged, 4-bolt W/ CNC face plate, 31.8mm clamp
Grips: Dual density, GT Wing W/ Waffle
Headset: FSA No.11n 1 1/8th threadless, Zero stack
Saddle: WTP Pure-V Sport
Seatpost: All Terra alloy micro-adjust
Seat Clamp: All Terra alloy QR

gt-aval-1-d-2011-zoom.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
It's confusing isn't it? So I take it Stans are not UST given that Mavic own the patent, but they're tubeless ready, so you need the tape, gunk and tyres?

I was checking out some wheels on the Merlin website the other day and like the look of the ZTR Arch rims.

Permabanned
Need to get back in the saddle after 6 years away, so ordered a new bike !!!

Ordered the new GT Avalanche 1.0
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-avalanche-10-disc-2011/

Specifications

Top Features of the GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc 2011
Frame: Hydroformed, 6061-T6 Aluminium, Triple triangle design, W/ Zero stack head tube, disc mount, replaceable derailleur hanger
Fork: Rockshox Tora 302, 120mm travel, steel stanchions, magnesium leg, W/ rebound adjust & lockout.
Chainset: Shimano FC-M442, 44/32/22t
BB: Shimano BB-ES25
Pedals: GT Slim Line flat pedal, cast alloy
Front Mech: Shimano Deore, FD-M590
Rear Mech: Shimano RD-M772-SGS, XT Shadow, 9SPD
Shifters: Shimano Deore, SL-M590, Rapid Fire
Cassette: Shimano CS-HG30-9, 9 SPD, 11-34t
Chain: HG53
Rims: Alex TD24, 32h
Front Tyre: Maxxis Mobster, 26x2.35”
Rear Tyre: Maxxis Mobster, 26x2.10”
Front Hub: All Terra alloy disc, W/ quick release
Rear Hub: All Terra alloy cassette disc, W/ quick release
Spokes: 14g Stainless
Nipples: Brass
Front Brake: Shimano BR-M445, W/ 180mm Rotor
Rear Brake: Shimano BR-M445, W/ 160mm Rotor
Brake Levers: Shimano BL-M445
Handlebars: All Terra 6061 Aluminium riser, 685mm width, 25mm rise, 31.8mm clamp
Stem: All Terra 1 1/8th threadless, 3D Forged, 4-bolt W/ CNC face plate, 31.8mm clamp
Grips: Dual density, GT Wing W/ Waffle
Headset: FSA No.11n 1 1/8th threadless, Zero stack
Saddle: WTP Pure-V Sport
Seatpost: All Terra alloy micro-adjust
Seat Clamp: All Terra alloy QR

gt-aval-1-d-2011-zoom.jpg

Beautiful bike mate, I've got the same on but from about 2 years ago now. Recently turned it into a singlespeed though as I can't be bothered with all the gears. :p

Will post pics soon.

Soldato
A lesson and warning for all, never open the casing of an X7 shifter (probably any type for that matter) without knowing what's in there.
It's the same for any SRAM shifter - Google it and loads of people have done the same, including me on an X9 shifter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom