Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I foolishly took apart my right x9 shifter thumb screw too.

Bent the spring good and proper too.

Took me seriously about 6 hours of ****ing around with it over the course of a couple of days until it finally screwed back in without trapping it. The downshift is a bit saggy now and I keep meaning to get a new one.

Soldato
Riiiiight... it's beginning to make sense! So if I went to ZTR Arch rims, I need a conversion kit and some tubeless ready tyres?
Arch rims just need to use the yellow Stans rim tape, and stans valves plus sealant. They don't need the Stans rim strips.

You then use normal tyres, just follow the instructional videos on the stans website.

Last edited:
Associate
Aye.

They are UST, not tubeless ready. /pedant

It depends what tyres you are using. If you use normal or tubeless ready tyres then you will need sealant. If you are using UST tyres you don't. But some UST tyres could benifit from sealant as well. eg Mountain Kings.

I put a scoop of stans in my Deemax wheels (near enough the same as the 823 rim) just so I've got some in there if something pierces the tyre. You don't need sealant to seal true UST tyres and rims though.

Thanks guys....Ill get some stans then.

Associate
calling all avid brake users, which pads do you find work best?
i know its a fairly vague question and it completely depends on riding styles etc
basically im looking for replacements for my elixir r brakeset and was wondering what people recommend? :confused:
im looking for probably organics (i think) as i'd like good braking from cold but would a kevlar pad be better for me?
not too worried about pad life but would like discs to last and not get chewed too much if that makes any sense :p

Soldato
It's the same for any SRAM shifter - Google it and loads of people have done the same, including me on an X9 shifter.

I did try googling it but could only find people taking apart the X9s which are similar...but not similar enough to help :(

If it's the circular spring then it's a real PITA to put back in. Been there broke that. :p
Yep the circular spring, a MASSIVE PITA, I won't do it again in a hurry :D

I foolishly took apart my right x9 shifter thumb screw too.

Bent the spring good and proper too.

Took me seriously about 6 hours of ****ing around with it over the course of a couple of days until it finally screwed back in without trapping it. The downshift is a bit saggy now and I keep meaning to get a new one.

I've spent about 5 hours over the last 2 evenings trying to get them both back together. Whilst I did get the rear one back together I wasn't happy with it and took it apart AGAIN! :rolleyes: Now I can't get it back together again...or the front one!! I've got sore fingers so I've given up.

Luckily I ordered a set as a backup from Merlin this afternoon for £38, which hopefully will be with me tomorrow so I can be riding my bike this weekend.

Atleast I've managed to put some new brake pads in tonight without destroying anything...though my back brake needs a bleed. Bloody hard work this biking lark :p

Soldato
Update!!

Something about fixing stuff that give you that one more go feeling. I've done it!

I looked at the pics of the X9 rebuild and whilst the parts are not quite the same the spring does go in the same place. WHY didn't I see it before??? Still took a bit of fiddling and some tape to get it to stay in place whilst bolting it all back together but both shifters are back on and front and rear both shift properly, even the indicators work properly!! Not that I ever look at them of course :D

Anyone need any brand new X7 shifters hat I haven't received yet? :p

Soldato
Wondering if someone could be of assistance here. I'm pretty sure earlier in this thread that someone posted a video of a downhill race from the 90s where all the riders were crashing/bikes breaking as they went round a corner. Could someone possibly link me to it?

Soldato
haha i know downhill was new back then but surely the laws of physics wherent ! what was with all the high seats and low bars .

did no one think to look at bmx or at motorbikes and at centers of gravity

mat would have showed them the way... seems completely 'wrong' that this was being filmed in the same year

Last edited:
Soldato
I wish I had BMX skills. :(

wish I still had my bmx skills!
sold it last year :( after getting worse and worse at it every year lol

n562195036_1140940_1024.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom