Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Guys, I need some help trying to find some accommodation at Glentress. 3 of us are going on the weekend of the 30-31st August (busy period I know) and want somewhere decent like a guest house, but I have no idea where's good and where's not etc. Any ideas please?

May not be exactly what you are looking for but I can't recommend it enough. It is shared accommodation but it was clean and tidy and properly geared up for mountain bikers. Six of us stayed and all of us will defiantly be going back soon. Ten minute ride to Glentress and Ten minute car journey to Inners.

Edit:- Forgot to link Doh! Kailzie Bunkhouse Dorinda is the lady who owns it and can't do enough for you.

Last edited:
Associate
Did you get a tour of the many strange hens?

Yeah, she is a champion hen breeder apparently. Some right weird looking things. :eek: Honestly can't recommend it enough Baj. When you get back from your ride, you just hose the bike down and hang it up in the secure lock up. I would take a security chain with you for added protection, just in case.

BaJ

BaJ

Associate
The people who look after the bunkhouse breed rare hens, some of which look very odd. I got a tour last time I was there.

Those who have stayed at Kailzie, is there a pub close by? My group like a few beers after a days riding and it really helps if there's one in walking distance. Looks like the bunkhouse is in Cardrona but I can't see any in that village!?

Associate
Those who have stayed at Kailzie, is there a pub close by? My group like a few beers after a days riding and it really helps if there's one in walking distance. Looks like the bunkhouse is in Cardrona but I can't see any in that village!?

Nope. On the Saturday night I was last there with mates we just got a takeaway curry and some beers in. It makes for a much cheaper weekend but it'd be easy enough if you wanted to get a taxi there and back from Pebbles which has some "interesting" nightlife.

Associate

On the Friday we drove in to Peebles and had a couple of beers in Town, then Tesco to get the alcohol in for Friday night as we were having BBQ. The other group of lads walked to the nearest drinking hole for food and beer. They reckon it was a 20 minute walk. Bony's We were having the BBQ and doing the usual drunken bunny hop competition when they rolled in at about 00.30 ish, so open plenty late. On the Saturday we went to Peebles and it cost us about Two pounds each return, so cheap as chips. I can really recommend the Crown pub in peebles for food and beer. I think we only managed to find Three pubs but there is a Curry house and an Italian (nico's i think) So don't expect a full on rave up. :D

Associate
OOF, looks nasty, luckily no arm was broken...

Hmm, I'm quite particular about rebound speed and only 7 clicks of rebound sounds crappy to me.

Aye, nothing broken at all. Think the bystanders were all amazed I walked away from it. I took an impact underneath my left armpit, on my ribs, & have never been winded as badly before in my life! :D

@weescott, Ignoring the obvious marketing BS from Spec, a MTB specific Ohlins shock is a dream come true. I don't know about you guys but I've never used either extreme of the rebound setting on any shock I've ever had. Can't see why 7 clicks would be an issue.

Soldato
Aye, nothing broken at all. Think the bystanders were all amazed I walked away from it. I took an impact underneath my left armpit, on my ribs, & have never been winded as badly before in my life! :D

@weescott, Ignoring the obvious marketing BS from Spec, a MTB specific Ohlins shock is a dream come true. I don't know about you guys but I've never used either extreme of the rebound setting on any shock I've ever had. Can't see why 7 clicks would be an issue.

Issue is I bet the extremes will be there, not the fine tuning you really want in the middle ground. I'd be happy to be wrong though.

Soldato
Yeah if the 7 clicks are all in a usable range then its not an issue. If its only 7 clicks from no rebound damping to super slow slow then it will be rubbish. Though I'd like to think that a company with the experience like Ohlins wouldn't make such a big mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom