*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

Soldato
Another 22.5 miles in the saddle today. Certainly didn’t feel guilty about the ice cream at Churchfields farm! What’s really great is that my general fitness must be pretty decent, I haven’t done this sort of mileage in a week for years!

I need more annual leave to facilitate cycling and then eating almond croissants to recoup lost calories.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok, am down to 102.8kg this morning.

I'm also aiming to cut down on fat. I've been having some short sharp stabbing pains which only last a second or so in my chest for the last few months. From googling the symptoms it's unlikely to be heart related, but given MFP always says i'm over my fat targets i think it makes sense to try and chill out a bit on the butter/eggs/nuts for a few weeks and see if anything changes. I cba going to the doctors for any cholesterol checks and i'm fairly sure blood pressure must be ok as my HR is naturally quite low from all the exercise and i don't have issues with various intensities.

My wife has also given me to the end of May before insisting we go clothes shopping for me. I constantly wear sport shorts/half zip mid layer type running tops when we go out and it's not exactly a nice look! She wants me to get some nicer shorts and t-shirts, but given some of my older clothes are now noticably tight, i'm resisting going shopping now. She's given me 8 weeks to sort my **** out before just forcing me!

Soldato

I'm also aiming to cut down on fat. I've been having some short sharp stabbing pains which only last a second or so in my chest for the last few months. From googling the symptoms it's unlikely to be heart related, but given MFP always says i'm over my fat targets i think it makes sense to try and chill out a bit on the butter/eggs/nuts for a few weeks and see if anything changes. I cba going to the doctors for any cholesterol checks and i'm fairly sure blood pressure must be ok as my HR is naturally quite low from all the exercise and i don't have issues with various intensities.

My wife has also given me to the end of May before insisting we go clothes shopping for me. I constantly wear sport shorts/half zip mid layer type running tops when we go out and it's not exactly a nice look! She wants me to get some nicer shorts and t-shirts, but given some of my older clothes are now noticably tight, i'm resisting going shopping now. She's given me 8 weeks to sort my **** out before just forcing me!
Go get the cholesterol checks done, and a blood pressure - having data is good, assumptions not so much.

Man of Honour

In the nicest possible way this is some stupid ****. Cutting down on fat for a couple of weeks is going to do nothing if your heart is about to pop.
You also can't assume anything about BP from heart rate or perceived fitness levels. Just go and get a check up.

Caporegime

Mate, if you're getting chest pains go and see a doctor. Yeah, most likely, those pains aren't being caused by a heart problem but if they are then you need to get that looked at ASAP.

Soldato
Mate, if you're getting chest pains go and see a doctor. Yeah, most likely, those pains aren't being caused by a heart problem but if they are then you need to get that looked at ASAP.

I think i'm probably over selling the pains. It's more just a weird feeling. Yes i accept i probably should get it checked. The pharmacy here does cholesterol/glucose/BP so i might go there rather than messing with the GP

Soldato
Also, some cholesterol problems are just hereditary and cutting out certain foods is going to do next to noting and medication is indicated. Have a ready of Peter Attia's Outlive for a far reaching and easily consumable book on longevity.

Soldato
Yeah, will do more research after getting results. It's probably a combination of things

Weight Gain of ~8kg in the last 6 months
Fell of my bike in December - Whilst i didn't feel anything in my chest at the time, it could be some residual impact from that
Worsening diet with higher fat content (Proper butter and around 10 eggs a week)
Increased alcohol consumption

1,2 and 4 are easily addressed and should help me monitor it. At the moment it certainly doesn't feel like something that's an issue but it's only started the last 2-3 months and the above are likely factors.

Soldato
I'd recommend taking Attia's book with a hearty pinch of salt (preferably not literally :p ). In particular, he makes a whole load of frankly extraordinary claims about diet and diet science.
He doesn't really say a whole lot about diet in the book from my recollection... mainly saying he has walked back some of his thinking on fasting, and that he prefers now to keep out of the diet zealot space... he seems much more focused on exercise interventions / pharmacological where required? I may be remembering incorrectly mind you

Caporegime
Not a big loss this week.

u07tMlLh.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Quite hopeful for tomorrows weigh in. This is probably one of the better weekends I’ve had so far with no excess booze and a bike ride Friday and yesterday.

We are heading out for lunch later but it’ll include a 30km bike ride which should offset the big menu of the day meals and half bottle of wine!

Snacking has also been fairly limited with MFP showing me under target for both days. So hopeful not to have the usual Friday>Monday spike.

(Awaits a big jump in weight :rolleyes:)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I believe it can sync data in from other services (I know it can on Android anyway) and mine goes back to 2010, long before I had the Withings scales.

Yesterday I'd weighed in 3 lbs down, so clearly some of the temp weight was still there on Friday. At the same time, the morning after a big ride my weight can be a little below reality. Things should have levelled out by Wednesday, so we'll see then how I've come out of two trips and Easter.

Soldato
Yep, as suspected, despite a decent weekend this morning i jumped back up to 103.5kg. Luckily i've been in here long enough to know better than to panic, and i'm happy with how i've eaten/drank/exercised which is about the first time in ages for a weekend. Strava shows over 7 hours of exercise too for last week, so that's getting me back to the levels i want to be at.

EDIT - Had 3 dumps so far this morning. I imagine that's where the stored up weight was :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep, as suspected, despite a decent weekend this morning i jumped back up to 103.5kg. Luckily i've been in here long enough to know better than to panic, and i'm happy with how i've eaten/drank/exercised which is about the first time in ages for a weekend. Strava shows over 7 hours of exercise too for last week, so that's getting me back to the levels i want to be at.

EDIT - Had 3 dumps so far this morning. I imagine that's where the stored up weight was :p
keep up with training

it takes time for initial movement - and not taking bowel movements here...

Back
Top Bottom