*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

Caporegime
Friday checking in. On the 28th Feb I was 89.25kg (farthest left dot on the graph), on course to hit 85kg by end of April.

MSjaBAk.jpeg

Caporegime
Haha it’s a constant battle for me with pastries here as every supermarket has a big fresh bakery section.

I still eat a pastry every morning for breakfast, but instead of 2, I just have 1.

Not cutting any food out at all. I’ve also had chocolate this week, packet of crisps, even drinking some juice, still put 1 sugar in every coffee.

Soldato
I still eat a pastry every morning for breakfast, but instead of 2, I just have 1.

Not cutting any food out at all. I’ve also had chocolate this week, packet of crisps, even drinking some juice, still put 1 sugar in every coffee.

I think my problem with pastries is calorie to filling ratio.

They’re always high calories but one never feels enough. Then you eat 2 and are hugely over!

Caporegime
I think my problem with pastries is calorie to filling ratio.

They’re always high calories but one never feels enough. Then you eat 2 and are hugely over!

That’s the problem with them, I could easily devour 3 in a sitting too but that also means 1,000 calories easy in under 5 mins, could be as much as 1,500 calories if it’s one of those with icing on top. When I’m on holiday I would get a full English and put a croissant on the side…because they are not really filling foods and so easy to eat.

iaI5WLG.jpeg

I went for a walk today, due to rain I was “stuck” in the shops killing time and wait for it to blow over and lingered longer than I wanted so by the time I got home I walked 8km and that was only 550 calories. It wouldn’t make a dent into that 3 pastries.

I guess this is where MFP really helped, I “trust” that I am getting enough calories, and thus energy and then tell myself this hunger I’m feeling I just got to suck it up for an hour or 2 until the next meal.

At dinner I eat normally, a couple of times I had pasta, 2 servings’ worth even, covered in Parmesan.

jbwPa6O.jpeg

Soldato
23 mile bike ride today. Garmin/Strava reporting 1600 calories burnt over 1h25m. Absolutely glorious weather and scenery too!

Major plus points include it being the fastest ever time over the usual route, personal bests in just about every uphill segment on Strava and Noom thinking that I can have up to 3000 kcal and still be in the weight loss zone :cry:

Going to do the same sort of distance tomorrow down to Stratford if the weather is still good.

Soldato
23 mile bike ride today. Garmin/Strava reporting 1600 calories burnt over 1h25m. Absolutely glorious weather and scenery too!

Major plus points include it being the fastest ever time over the usual route, personal bests in just about every uphill segment on Strava and Noom thinking that I can have up to 3000 kcal and still be in the weight loss zone :cry:

Going to do the same sort of distance tomorrow down to Stratford if the weather is still good.
Weather for Stratford is looking pretty good tomorrow (I'm not far away) been great here today.
I've relaxed the diet for this weekend, I find it helps me to do that occasionally rather than trying to be super strict all the time.

Soldato
Weather for Stratford is looking pretty good tomorrow (I'm not far away) been great here today.
I've relaxed the diet for this weekend, I find it helps me to do that occasionally rather than trying to be super strict all the time.

Weekends I’m much less strict too. I definitely make much more progress when I think and plan a bit rather than eating whatever. Massive bonus of cycling is being able to eat pretty much what I want!

Weather being fine really helps, Arley arboretum was beautiful today.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
23 mile bike ride today. Garmin/Strava reporting 1600 calories burnt over 1h25m.
That seems a little high, no? Do you have a power meter or a HRM? I was riding with someone almost the exact same weight as me last weekend in Mallorca. I was a little surprised when he declared he'd burnt over 5k calories the day before, given I had burnt only something like 3,100. It turns out he didn't have a HRM or a power meter and he'd not set his correct weight in Strava.

Obviously, we're all different, but I think if I rode 23 miles at that speed, I'd probably expect to burn around 1,000 cals (1,100 in fact), so just curious. (And also maybe a warning to hold back on an almond croissant perhaps :cry:)

Soldato
That seems a little high, no? Do you have a power meter or a HRM? I was riding with someone almost the exact same weight as me last weekend in Mallorca. I was a little surprised when he declared he'd burnt over 5k calories the day before, given I had burnt only something like 3,100. It turns out he didn't have a HRM or a power meter and he'd not set his correct weight in Strava.

Obviously, we're all different, but I think if I rode 23 miles at that speed, I'd probably expect to burn around 1,000 cals (1,100 in fact), so just curious. (And also maybe a warning to hold back on an almond croissant perhaps :cry:)

It definitely overestimates calories! No HRM or power meter so can’t take it as gospel!

/puts down almond croissant :(

Last edited:
Soldato
A slightly colder ride to Stratford this morning, but very pleased to do two rides on consecutive days. Made excellent time to Henley, but slowed a little to Stratford. Just under 1h30m total. Not bad at all considering it’s been almost a year since I’ve ridden my road bike.

Meant enjoying lunch that bit more, my brother is a fantastic cook!

@AndyCr15 - 1757 kcal to make up :cry:… or is that Strava making up kcal!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
or is that Strava making up kcal!
Definitely don't believe Strava without a Power Meter :p

I'm kinda dreading stepping back on the scales after this family holiday. I was reasonably restrained through Christmas and came out the lightest I ever have. I was reasonably restrained on my annual Mallorca cycling trip with all-you-can-eat buffets... but then flowed straight into this family trip and there are biscuits, cake and chocolate everywhere and it's all gone to pot!

Still, I have almost 3 months to my next cycling trip, to get the weight back down. :cry:

Soldato
A slightly colder ride to Stratford this morning, but very pleased to do two rides on consecutive days. Made excellent time to Henley, but slowed a little to Stratford. Just under 1h30m total. Not bad at all considering it’s been almost a year since I’ve ridden my road bike.

Meant enjoying lunch that bit more, my brother is a fantastic cook!

@AndyCr15 - 1757 kcal to make up :cry:… or is that Strava making up kcal!

Don't let @AndyCr15 ruin it for you. Get that 6 pack of Almond Croissants!

Strava/Garmin seem to work on around 800/hr for cycling which feels a little high to me. My main assumption is to add on half of what it tells me. Although based on my weight loss results this clearly doesn't happen!

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't let @AndyCr15 ruin it for you. Get that 6 pack of Almond Croissants!

Strava/Garmin seem to work on around 800/hr for cycling which feels a little high to me. My main assumption is to add on half of what it tells me. Although based on my weight loss results this clearly doesn't happen!
how many pastries did you have ????LOL

1h of cycling will be around 500 cals - ofc depends on other factors
but as said above, dont trst garmin watches, wahoos etc without power meter...

better to work when thinking yuo've lost less calories than too many...

4 days of easter gave me extra 3lbs...shameeeeeee on me LOL

had a great cycle in Kent on Saturday - lovely weather, and sticked in to 2 gym sessions in - lounges with dumbells killed me yesterday..

back to full diet mode now

Soldato
Haha none over the weekend. But had to stop via Aldi on the way home and hadn't had lunch so was starting and got a chocolate pastry thing!

The weird thing i have both HR and power meter, but the readings still seem high to me.
in that case your reading should be shown correct on wahoo/garin device those are connected to.

meter calibrated ?
your height and weight put in to the app ?

there is a lot of factors that will go to the calories burnt.

I miss my power meter...

Soldato
Yeah everything is updated, it always just seems high. Although given the amount of exertion maybe it's right!

If anything then i should be shedding weight at a massive pace since i try not to eat them all back!
just quickly checked one of my old rides on old bike with PM
148km, 5h 55mins moving, 25km avg speed, avg power of 182w gave 3600cals burnt
so approx 600 per hour

Back
Top Bottom