*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

Soldato
OP
Nice :)

No gyms? Back garden. Raining outside? Get wet. No time to go for the pre-work run? get up earlier.

For me, this is key. It was actually around learning a new language, but I remember someone saying it's never that you don't have time, everything is around priorities. Getting up a bit earlier is a perfect example. It's all priorities. Some would prioritise sleeping over bettering themselves. Some would prioritise seeing their mates or going to the pub over a run or workout, that's just a matter of priorities.

Soldato
Actually why I started running, not so much that I enjoy it but I can simply cover more exercise in a shorter space of time and push come to shove, I can can it literally outside my door.

That way really little excuse not to do it :D

Don
Out of interest gents, did anyone find timing of eating a reason for weight loss? ie not eating after a certain time? I've religiously not eaten breakfast in favour of eating a lot at supper but after losing a stone I can't shift anymore, despite a calorie controlled diet. Thinking of maybe having breakfast and not eating after tea (6ish)

Soldato
Out of interest gents, did anyone find timing of eating a reason for weight loss? ie not eating after a certain time? I've religiously not eaten breakfast in favour of eating a lot at supper but after losing a stone I can't shift anymore, despite a calorie controlled diet. Thinking of maybe having breakfast and not eating after tea (6ish)

If no more weight is coming off then you're no longer in a calorie deficit.
Though if you're working out too then scale weight will be negated by muscle growth.
Have you re-calculated with your new current weight in mind?
http://jamessmithacademy.com/macro-calculator

Soldato
OP
Personally I'm not much of a believer in the IF thing. I believe it perhaps just helps some people create the deficit. I can't sleep well if I don't eat quite late and I can't cope without breakfast either. I still dropped 6½ stone in 7 months, just making sure I had a good deficit.

Soldato

I'm not sure eating times make much difference. I try to eat earlier but a lot of the time I'm eating really late. I've avoided most breakfasts but have had porridge and cereal a couple of times a week and sometimes a yogurt and a chocolate bar at 1 or 2am.

Soldato
Timing and macros definitely matters but not the way most people think. If you run your glycogen low and eat only enough carbs to fill them and no more, they will not lend to fat gain regardless of when you eat. Of course if you are active while digesting, you'll be less likely to fill glycogen levels.

When and what you eat also can dictate what you body wants to use as fuel but of course this is also heavily influenced by the fuel you already have available eg. Fat glycogen and muscle as well as the activity you are doing. Intense long term activity will use easier to break down sources such as muscle and glycogen over fat. This is why endurance runners look like they do. It is why Fasted running can often seem poor for trimming the last bits of fat or even counter productive as you lose muscle and gain fat when you load up afterwards.

For most people timings and macros don't seem to make a huge difference because their available fuel and level of activity leaves a large margin for error. For those going sub 10% and wanting to keep muscle naturally, the margin I small and timings is very important. That said, just because it isn't vital for your goal, doesnt mean you don't have as much to benefit from it.

I've learnt this from some of the best natural pros in the world, tried myself and seen what does and doesn't work. I also am in a job now where I'm surrounded by nutritionists and this is often a topic of casual conversation.

Soldato
Weighed in at 13 stone, 4lb and 8 ounces today, that's 23.2lbs lost since 2nd January. Things have slowed, the app said I should be at my target weight of 12.5 stone by late April, but I can't imagine losing 11lbs in the next 3 weeks. Still happy though, weight is coming down.

Caporegime
Weighed in at 13 stone, 4lb and 8 ounces today, that's 23.2lbs lost since 2nd January. Things have slowed, the app said I should be at my target weight of 12.5 stone by late April, but I can't imagine losing 11lbs in the next 3 weeks. Still happy though, weight is coming down.

You've done brilliantly. 3 solid months of weight loss! I'd probably ease down a bit now and just be happy to get 0.5lbs off each week, that should be a manageable target.

I've nearly killed myself the past month by eating >400g bad carbs (i.e. chocolate, cakes, pastries) almost every day. Today was the worst - 550g. I feel like a total wreck. But tomorrow is a new day. I'm doing an all day fast and then Tuesday going back on keto for a couple of months. If I can just manage to behave myself for more than a couple of weeks without going back to old habits, I should be totally finished with weight loss by the end of June. I feel like it will be a fitting end to this process - starting and finishing with keto.

Soldato
OP
It's been an odd week or two for me. I've cycled more in the last 3 weeks than I ever have before (600+ miles) but almost intentionally eaten more calories, not silly amounts, but up around 3,500 cals. My weight has gone up, just peaking over 15st again (so up around 6lbs) while my body fat has stayed down below 20%, so I think the extra weight might literally be the food in my system?!

Gym's re-open today, so I plan to head down shortly. That will be interesting. I might add some weight with muscle hopefully coming back and I also might cycle a bit less now the gym is an option again. We'll see I guess :)

Soldato
@ic1male thanks. I'm now losing just over 1lb per mth, so target should be achieved by July, though when it gets warmer I'll start cycling so that'll hopefully speed up the process.

I hope your diet goes to plan, it's disheartening when one has a blip but keep going and you'll get there.

Associate
I've got myself into a bit of a state since lockdown, and looking to change my lifestyle so that I can loose weight and keep it sustainable.

What's a good recommended app I can use to help track my weight? Also, I'm a lazy sod so how do I introduce a bit more mobility into my lifestyle? Can I use an app to help me out a bit with this as well?

Soldato
I've got myself into a bit of a state since lockdown, and looking to change my lifestyle so that I can loose weight and keep it sustainable.

What's a good recommended app I can use to help track my weight? Also, I'm a lazy sod so how do I introduce a bit more mobility into my lifestyle? Can I use an app to help me out a bit with this as well?

I use the free version of fat secret, which is pretty good

Back
Top Bottom