*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

Soldato
For me this is the reason to do regular weigh ins. If I do just one weigh in a week, as you say it can fluctuate so much, I wont really know what my weight is! If I weigh regularly I can see where the trend is... if that makes sense?

I've always thought weekly was best, but now i've got a smart scale daily makes so much more sense so you can identify trends and correct/change things to suit.

Obviously weight isn't a very good marker, especially if you're a naturally heavier/bigger person like myself.

I think my ideal BMI weight is something like 82kg, and people have said I look too skinny at 95kg so to be in a healthy BMI I think i'd have to be nearly dead! :p

Caporegime
I've always thought weekly was best, but now i've got a smart scale daily makes so much more sense so you can identify trends and correct/change things to suit.

Obviously weight isn't a very good marker, especially if you're a naturally heavier/bigger person like myself.

I think my ideal BMI weight is something like 82kg, and people have said I look too skinny at 95kg so to be in a healthy BMI I think i'd have to be nearly dead! :p

People like to exaggerate a lot.

A lot of people who say they are naturally big and heavy are just fat. Unless you have been bodybuilding for 5+ years and used steroids. Take Eddie hall for instance he was fat even though he was big and muscular and now you can see his six pack whereas before it was just a balloon. He's now a much healthier weight and size and a defined six pack is proof of that for a muscular physique.

If you truly are skinny a topless picture of both your front and side will confirm if you are or not. My mate posts pictures like that to his social media on a yearly basis to track progress for instance.

A photograph or mirror when your naked will tell the real story. There's a lot you can hide in clothes. BMI isn't great but unless you are a proper bodybuilder it's probably not wrong.

Fat is stored evenly throughout the body so losing a couple of stone can mean minor changes in specific areas. I think you would be surprised for instance how much weight you can lose before a ring on your finger becomes loose. It's not all about waist size as that's the first place people look at and it goes from. Genuinely skinny People are skinny everywhere.

95kg is heavy you would have to be 6 foot 6 for that to be considered skinny.

Soldato
OP
Oh dear...

BMI isn't great but unless you are a proper bodybuilder it's probably not wrong.

It really is. I'm no body builder, but it has me overweight.

e6J3BkXh.jpg

I'm around 94kg, about 6'3, with a BMI of about 26.5...

Or actually, I found this, I think from the start of last years lockdown. I was probably in slightly better muscular shape than now (gyms having been closed for 4 months and all), but similar numbers -

4y9t5UUh.jpg

Yes, there is some fat, but 'overweight and fat'? I'm not concerned...

Caporegime
Oh dear...

It really is. I'm no body builder, but it has me overweight.

e6J3BkXh.jpg

I'm around 94kg, about 6'3, with a BMI of about 26.5...

Or actually, I found this, I think from the start of last years lockdown. I was probably in slightly better muscular shape than now (gyms having been closed for 4 months and all), but similar numbers -

4y9t5UUh.jpg

Yes, there is some fat, but 'overweight and fat'? I'm not concerned...

24.9 isn't far off 26.5. or do you disagree with those numbers?

If you did get down to 24.9 you would probably look a lot better.

I did say it's not great as it doesn't take proper muscle mass into account but it's not really wrong is it if you say you are carrying additional fat and it says you should weigh slightly less than what you currently do.

People exaggerate the whole I'm naturally big crap. Yes BMI isn't great but I also said a mirror and topless pictures usually tell a much better story.

In your instance I'd say you aren't far off what you should be but you certainly don't look unhealthy either. It's why they are classifying you as slightly overweight. You are just in the band by a small amount.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5f/a0/1d/5fa01d739f9deeaf02f63198ebd47e4d.jpg

Take a look at the picture above. Truly what difference do you think there is in bodyfat between you two? I'd say maybe 5-7%.

He looks around 12-14% body fat and you look around 19%.

Your target should be 15% body fat. Using proper measurements not scales. To measure bodyfat accurately requires calipers and a dip in a special water tank to see how much water is displaced. You may as well be using magic if you are using scales to measure body fat.

You are in good shape but you are also carrying additional fat. There does come a point where additional fat is good in terms of long distance cardiovascular exercise.

Iirc you are a cyclist it will be impossible for you to lose significant body fat and still cycle long distance.

Again you also iirc made the mistake in GD when I said before that losing weight is 90% diet and 10% physical activity and questioned the legitimacy until loads of others also piped in.

BMI says you are slightly overweight and I'd agree with that. It's beneficial though as you cycle long distance.

You are again confusing weight with fitness. You can be very fit and overweight. Especially when talking about carrying a small amount of extra weight like you are.

Being slightly overweight doesn't mean that you are unhealthy. You are confusing the two.

Soldato
Fell off hard this weekend, hard end to the week with emotional baggage led to drunken Friday, Papa Johns Saturday and a bbq and beers yesterday. Scales this morning higher than they were a few weeks back. I know a lot is water weight due to ingesting loads of salt last 2 days and should settle down mid/late week.

Did actually go for a 3 mile walk yesterday though, most i've walked in over 9 months, feet are killing today.

Soldato
OP
Again you also iirc made the mistake in GD when I said before that losing weight is 90% diet and 10% physical activity and questioned the legitimacy until loads of others also piped in.

I don't think that was me, given my big loss is around both cycling and eating better. It kind of annoys me a little when people try and lose weight just by dieting. That's a rather lazy way to do it I guess.

Being slightly overweight doesn't mean that you are unhealthy. You are confusing the two.

I personally don't think I am. We're discussing how much use BMI is, I still say 'not a lot', your waist measurement and body fat % are much more useful.

You may as well be using magic if you are using scales to measure body fat.

Again, I disagree. Yes, they might not be all that accurate, but they will still give a reasonable indication. I didn't loose fat and the body fat % went up, for example. Even if they might be 20% inaccurate, that's still a pretty good indication. For me, it's more about checking which way things are going rather than knowing a super accurate body fat %

Soldato
Fell off hard this weekend, hard end to the week with emotional baggage led to drunken Friday, Papa Johns Saturday and a bbq and beers yesterday. Scales this morning higher than they were a few weeks back. I know a lot is water weight due to ingesting loads of salt last 2 days and should settle down mid/late week.

Did actually go for a 3 mile walk yesterday though, most i've walked in over 9 months, feet are killing today.

Well done for being brave enough to get on the scales.

My "Not drinking" went out the window as we had a bbq for my mother in laws 70th, and so from 2pm till 1am i drank. A lot, although didn't really eat much either which didn't help.

Yesterday i had recover bacon butties and pizza for tea!

Today i decided to skip the scales :p

Caporegime
Not exercising is kind of the lazy way. Apparently I'm the one that's mixing up weight and health though, right? :cry:

There's a relief, I enjoy this thread.

Having to do 3 hours of cardio a day isn't a great way to keep your weight down long term.

Let's say you get hit by a car tomorrow what do you think will happen to your weight. There should be a focus on both with diet being the priority.

B&W

B&W

Soldato
Lol at the car analogy. 3 hour cardio a day who does that?

Eating in a calorific deficit and weight training 4-5 times a week is sufficient to loose weight.

Back
Top Bottom