*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

Associate
I may have to join in here as well. I am around 110 - 115Kg at the moment, but have also started with some hip pain, which my helpful father declared was probably Arthritis as it runs in the family. As per @Martynt74 above, I need to bring some weight off to try and reduce any possible further damage. Can I buy willpower from anywhere? ;)

Soldato
Not sure you stand a chance in that case.

My issue is i've come home to a full pack of Lotus Biscoff biscuits my mother in law got me, my daughter bought some big bag of crisps she doesn't like and my wife bought one of those large toblerones at the airport so that's all sat around taunting me!

I'm holding strong (so far), have bought some broccoli, courgette and spinach and made some soup. Probably need to get into the habit of having a larger soup portion and less bread on the side though.

Soldato
Food environment is a big part of success. It really comes down to if you're the sort of person who can portion that stuff out to fit your calories and not have an overwhelming urge to inhale the lot in one go or if you simply can't touch them without it turning into a free-for-all, in which case it's better to keep them out of sight/mind.

Soldato
Yup, if it's anything treat related I just buy it on the day I'm eating it, no chance it's surviving in the house for longer than a day.

Soldato
Willpower is useless, start building systems :D

Largely don't have tempting foods around the house to begin with ;)

That's bloody obvious.. But such good advice I argue with the wife all the time about NOT buying chocolate, cakes and biscuits.. She even like to buy a bar of chocolate and eat 1 tiny bit Then rest will sit about until I eat it..

I have binned so much food.. I find it (fairly) easy not to buy bad food.. But if its there I just eat it..

Soldato
Early days obviously, but last night my wife offered me a piece of toblerone and i said no. The resolve is strong!

On the downside, MFP tells me i was ~400 calories over for the day. Mainly since i've set my goal to lose 2kg a week and being as inactive as possible due to my ankle so it only allows 1500 calories a day. Breakfast and Dinner were healthy (porridge/soup), however tea was sausage/chips/beans/egg because we're trying to just do really quick meals that don't require too much time on my feet cutting/chopping foods. I also always massively underestimate chips when i'm cutting the potatoes and end up with more than i think and wasn't helped that my wife didn't like some of the sausages so i ended up having 5!

Still, being at 2000 calories in the day should still see a small drop i'd suspect.

Also going to start using my medicine ball for some arm based exercise to burn some energy and try and keep a slim bit of fitness.

Man of Honour
Early days obviously, but last night my wife offered me a piece of toblerone and i said no. The resolve is strong!

On the downside, MFP tells me i was ~400 calories over for the day. Mainly since i've set my goal to lose 2kg a week and being as inactive as possible due to my ankle so it only allows 1500 calories a day. Breakfast and Dinner were healthy (porridge/soup), however tea was sausage/chips/beans/egg because we're trying to just do really quick meals that don't require too much time on my feet cutting/chopping foods. I also always massively underestimate chips when i'm cutting the potatoes and end up with more than i think and wasn't helped that my wife didn't like some of the sausages so i ended up having 5!

Still, being at 2000 calories in the day should still see a small drop i'd suspect.

Also going to start using my medicine ball for some arm based exercise to burn some energy and try and keep a slim bit of fitness.
4lbs a week is a lot to lose through dieting alone. I'd aim for 2lbs at most.

Soldato
4lbs a week is a lot to lose through dieting alone. I'd aim for 2lbs at most.

Yeah, i think it's just old settings carried over from when i could run. I've always said i'm inactive and then add on the extra calories from exercise on top because my day to day activity is minimal otherwise.

1500-2000 a day feels about right for me though i think. Yesterday was 2000 and there was a large tea included and my wife had brought me a coffee with biscuits earlier on which i'd eaten. I would like to cut that out though for a few weeks just to get as low as possible so that when i can use my ankle more i'm putting as little stress on it as i can.

Soldato
I'm back on the bandwagon too, apart from obvious benefits, also as per @Martynt74 thinking, want to take my running up a notch and take the strain off my joints, it can't be good for them long term to run at this weight.

Associate
Yeah, i think it's just old settings carried over from when i could run. I've always said i'm inactive and then add on the extra calories from exercise on top because my day to day activity is minimal otherwise.

1500-2000 a day feels about right for me though i think. Yesterday was 2000 and there was a large tea included and my wife had brought me a coffee with biscuits earlier on which i'd eaten. I would like to cut that out though for a few weeks just to get as low as possible so that when i can use my ankle more i'm putting as little stress on it as i can.

How are you getting on with your cycling? If you up your mileage then that should help your weight loss. Or even cycling for an hour before breakfast should give you some results.

Soldato
How are you getting on with your cycling? If you up your mileage then that should help your weight loss. Or even cycling for an hour before breakfast should give you some results.

Not well at the moment, but that's because of my messed up ankle so i can't do a single thing which is annoying.

Prior to September i was running ~25 miles and cycling ~40 miles a week. Yes somehow still putting on weight which shows how rubbish my diet was!

Soldato
Not well at the moment, but that's because of my messed up ankle so i can't do a single thing which is annoying.

Prior to September i was running ~25 miles and cycling ~40 miles a week. Yes somehow still putting on weight which shows how rubbish my diet was!

could you do some core work? abs and arms? rent a wheelchair and find a steep hill etc? Anything is better than nothing.

Soldato
could you do some core work? abs and arms? rent a wheelchair and find a steep hill etc? Anything is better than nothing.

Haha the thought of doing hill reps in a wheelchair feels hilarious. I'd never even considered that'd be a thing.

I've got a medicine ball so have been doing some arms/shoulder work and will throw in some abs based stuff too. Not of it will be very calorie burny though i wouldn't have thought.

Associate
Haha the thought of doing hill reps in a wheelchair feels hilarious. I'd never even considered that'd be a thing.

I've got a medicine ball so have been doing some arms/shoulder work and will throw in some abs based stuff too. Not of it will be very calorie burny though i wouldn't have thought.
If you're a member at a gym you could get on a rowing machine and just use your upper body, or one of those arm bikes?

Soldato
If you're a member at a gym you could get on a rowing machine and just use your upper body, or one of those arm bikes?
What rowing machines does your gym have? Mine need your feet in the restraints to stop you pinging off the slide! Not very practical with a broken ankle?

Back
Top Bottom