*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

Man of Honour
I think the only thing I do that could be considered time-consuming is weigh my Huel still, but even that probably doesn't add more than 20 seconds. I wouldn't imagine I spend more than 10 to 20 seconds logging any meal. I set a few items up as meals in MyFP, so my evening routine of two apples, a protein bar and a bowl of cereal with almond milk is set up as one item. After a few months of weighing different things, you get a lot better at judging things too, so I don't weigh much now, even the Huel I can generally guess within 2 grams how much is in the scoop.
that's a good point, you can start spotting nutritional density after a while. I used to be happy with the same meals day in day out, in fact, when I used to play rugby and was trying to maintain my 100kg physique, and renting a flat in london on a low wage, and pay back silly debts I had clocked up, bulk cooking was my saviour. For a good 2 years or so I basically ate the same thing (more or less). I just used spices and herbs to change it up. I'm not exaggerating. It was mainly pasta, broccoli, chicken, rice, peas, carrots, fish, oats, eggs, protein powders. However I knew how much I was taking in after a while you just get into the habit of it. Not a fun way to exist really - but I had little choice.

You guys have got me thinking now, perhaps I should do a month's worth of logging and see just how much I do eat now (I should be around 3kcals for maintenance). I like a bit of a science experiment - in fact I've just had my 6 monthly blood test, so it might be interesting to do to see how it affects it. Presumably my fitness pal is still the app people use?

Soldato
Definitely noticing with the carnivore diet that my gut is way more chilled out. Thinking I must have been eating something I was intolerant of, no idea what in particular tho.

Also sleeping better and dreaming most days. Waking up after dreaming feels better than waking up after not dreaming for sure. (previously I hardly ever had dreams ever since I was a kid)

Last edited:
Associate
I get so frustrated with my fitness pal though, it just seems to get more sluggish & buggier with every update that comes. Just now I added a food and it had duplicated it the next time I opened the app. I have got a pretty old phone though so that could be contributing to it.

My calories started creeping up again towards the end of last week (ended on 3900 & 3400 calories Friday & Saturday) yet I just continued to track and eat lol. Completely wipes out any weekly progress. Time to stop making excuses and cut out biscuits/chocolates/crisps and hopefully have a bit of a reset. It's scary how fast the calories mount up with those items. One trip has been made to the shops for the week ahead, if it's not in the house I can't eat it :)

Caporegime
My calories started creeping up again towards the end of last week (ended on 3900 & 3400 calories Friday & Saturday) yet I just continued to track and eat lol. Completely wipes out any weekly progress. Time to stop making excuses and cut out biscuits/chocolates/crisps and hopefully have a bit of a reset. It's scary how fast the calories mount up with those items. One trip has been made to the shops for the week ahead, if it's not in the house I can't eat it :)

That's what concerns me as well. I'm finishing up keto tomorrow and will start adding extra carbs. But that will mean more calories eaten because the way things are right now, I don't want to swap fat for carbs (protein will stay the same). I love being able to have double cream in my coffee, putting butter on my vegetables and eating high fat yogurt. I'd have to swap all that out if I wanted a chip butty or something. LOL.

Man of Honour
That's what concerns me as well. I'm finishing up keto tomorrow and will start adding extra carbs. But that will mean more calories eaten because the way things are right now, I don't want to swap fat for carbs (protein will stay the same). I love being able to have double cream in my coffee, putting butter on my vegetables and eating high fat yogurt. I'd have to swap all that out if I wanted a chip butty or something. LOL.
You can't have it both ways unfortunately.

Man of Honour
I get so frustrated with my fitness pal though, it just seems to get more sluggish & buggier with every update that comes. Just now I added a food and it had duplicated it the next time I opened the app. I have got a pretty old phone though so that could be contributing to it.

Rather than cut them out, try reducing calories on weekdays to balance out weekend cheating. Or even fasting on one or two days in the week. Once you get into the habit, it becomes quite liberating being able to enjoy weekend cheating guilt free.

Associate
It'll certainly be an interesting transition. Hopefully it goes well for you, keep us posted!

Rather than cut them out, try reducing calories on weekdays to balance out weekend cheating. Or even fasting on one or two days in the week. Once you get into the habit, it becomes quite liberating being able to enjoy weekend cheating guilt free.
That's not a bad idea actually as I leave no room for error the way I'm currently eating so I will give it a try. I think that is key to be honest, just getting something to become a (good) habit and stick.

Soldato
That's keto done. Lost a grand total of 4.8kg in one month. Just 0.05kg in the last 48 hours so I feel like it's done its work. First thing I'm going to do - scoff a banana with some peanut butter. This is going to be sooooo good.
What happened to the 90 days of keto you mentioned only a couple of weeks ago?

Caporegime
What happened to the 90 days of keto you mentioned only a couple of weeks ago?

Got fed up. That was my original plan, I did 90 days a couple of years back so I knew I could do it if I really wanted to but I couldn't stomach it for that length of time this time around. I knew within the first couple of weeks that I'd not do it. I don't like how I can't eat much fruit/veg nor how it negatively affects my running. By now, I should be feeling this marvellous sense of well being and have tons of energy from reading all the articles on the web but I feel more knackered than ever. Not hungry at all but definitely knackered.

So now I'm going to more realistic and just tootle along with (hopefully) about 0.3kg loss each week pretty much with no foods off the table. Obviously, there can't be cookies with every cup of coffee or ice cream every night but every now and again should be OK.

Man of Honour
So now I'm going to more realistic and just tootle along with (hopefully) about 0.3kg loss each week pretty much with no foods off the table. Obviously, there can't be cookies with every cup of coffee or ice cream every night but every now and again should be OK.

I think this should be the main message with any nutrition plan.

Or whatever works for you in terms of what you're happy on and you can stick with.

Soldato
So this week i have been holding 1200 calories a day. No caffine, sugar or salt or processed foods.
1/2 plate veg, 1/4 plate long release carbs, 1/4 plate meat/veg protein.

I’ve been doing 3-4 hours of running, weights, HIT, sports, 2 hour walks etc. the garmin estimates around 3-4.5k calories burnt daily.

Should have second weigh this weekend but a visual indication is a decent reduction of weight.

Soldato
So this week i have been holding 1200 calories a day. No caffine, sugar or salt or processed foods.
1/2 plate veg, 1/4 plate long release carbs, 1/4 plate meat/veg protein.

I’ve been doing 3-4 hours of running, weights, HIT, sports, 2 hour walks etc. the garmin estimates around 3-4.5k calories burnt daily.

Should have second weigh this weekend but a visual indication is a decent reduction of weight.
That seems like a very extremely low amount of calories, can i ask how you got to that figure?

Soldato
That seems like a very extremely low amount of calories, can i ask how you got to that figure?

The diet as prepared by the nutritionist. Part portion size (small) and the proportions.

People have booked 1-10 weeks on that! Mrs lost 4kg.

Back
Top Bottom