*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

Soldato
If you track your calories you will know what your eating so you have a level point for where you can go when things slow down later one. Although eating too little also isn’t good. You want to set yourself up with something sustainable, you might not start to feel any kind of diet fatigue for the first few weeks, once your body gets through it’s glycogen stores though things change.

Soldato
I’m about 5’8 and weighed in at dead on 80.0kg. I’ve been doing pretty much my own thing with regards to meals. Oh, and given up drinking booze for now.

Just weighed in this afternoon at 76.2kg. So I think it’s working! I’m pretty happy so far with the result. I’m thinking actually maybe I’ve cut my calories down a bit too much ?? Honestly though, I’m no hungrier which is great!
Are you tracking calories?

That's quite some weight loss but is likely changes in water retention if you've cleaned up your diet a bit, always drops fast for the first few weeks then levels off, you're in that lovely honeymoon period at the moment :)

Soldato
Ah I see. Thank you for the input guys. I am indeed tracking my calories. I’m gonna keep at it, for now.

I’m pretty much eating..

2 x wheetabix for breakfast

A plain ham sandwich for lunch with English mustard (no butter). With an apple and banana.

And for tea I’m eating a chicken breast with boiled new potatoes.

It’s pretty boring eating, but I’m happy as long as my weight is dropping !

Man of Honour
You'll be lucky to be ticking over 1000kcals a day by the looks of that. It'll work short term, but you've got nowhere to go once the weight loss stalls.

Soldato
Yeah that calorie amount is very very low. As a reference I’ve done my weight loss on a 1700 calorie daily target.

Obviously depending on activity and other stats yours will be different but what your eating, without any measurements given, is not going to top out about 1.2k max! Which isn’t going to be sustainable. A big element of dieting is mental, and that kind of low intake is going to crush anyone mentally before too long.

Man of Honour
Ah I see. Thank you for the input guys. I am indeed tracking my calories. I’m gonna keep at it, for now.

I’m pretty much eating..

2 x wheetabix for breakfast

A plain ham sandwich for lunch with English mustard (no butter). With an apple and banana.

And for tea I’m eating a chicken breast with boiled new potatoes.

It’s pretty boring eating, but I’m happy as long as my weight is dropping !
You'd probably be able to sustain that kind of low calorie in take if you swap the Weetabix for either porridge, 0% fat Greek yogurt/Skyr or eggs.

Lunch maybe consider swapping the ham for tuna, chicken or salmon. Or batch cooking a turkey mince chilli and have that instead of a sandwich.

If nothing else you'll find those more filling than your current choices for similar calories.

Soldato
You'd probably be able to sustain that kind of low calorie in take if you swap the Weetabix for either porridge, 0% fat Greek yogurt/Skyr or eggs.

Lunch maybe consider swapping the ham for tuna, chicken or salmon. Or batch cooking a turkey mince chilli and have that instead of a sandwich.

If nothing else you'll find those more filling than your current choices for similar calories.
Ah thank you. I’ll certainly look into those suggestions. A bit of variation would be good!

Soldato
@Mobius 1

Also worth noting that by swapping carbs for protein you can actually eat more calories. Since the thermic effect of protein means it generally costs 15-20% of its calories for your body to digest in the first place
Oooh okay. So maybe I can swap out one of meals for a Huel type thing then ? Maybe I could do that for lunch.

Caporegime
Oooh okay. So maybe I can swap out one of meals for a Huel type thing then ? Maybe I could do that for lunch.

I always try to get one drink of Huel in each day. Because you are restricting food, it ensures you'll be getting at least some quality nutrition. Have revised my intake down to 1800kcals now from 2000 to see how I get on as I was stuck.

Man of Honour
I'd be more inclined to eat whole foods than meal replacements. Generally cheaper for one thing and probably more satiating. But whatever works for you and what you can stick too.

Typical breakfast or lunch for me is:

2 whole eggs plus 2 egg whites scrambled.
Ostrich steak or homemade turkey mince burger.
Half tin of taco beans.

Around 500 calories or less. 62g protein 25g carbs 12g fat.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Salads are great for adding loads of volume to a meal without adding many calories. Just be careful with sauces and dressings. Use zero or low calorie alternatives.

Chillies are also great made with lean mince and bulking out with chickpeas and kidney beans. Since the rest of the ingredients are tinned tomatoes, onion, garlic and apices. All of which a very low in calories.

Soldato
While i'm very aware weight fluctuates throughout the day easily by 2/2.5KG depending when you weigh, last night really hit it home.

Went for a pee before bed, missus had left scales in the bathroom. Was curious so weighed myself - 83.9KG, went for a pee, back on the scales, 83.4KG - a whole half kilo lighter.

Also not sure if I have a huge bladder :D

Soldato
While i'm very aware weight fluctuates throughout the day easily by 2/2.5KG depending when you weigh, last night really hit it home.

Went for a pee before bed, missus had left scales in the bathroom. Was curious so weighed myself - 83.9KG, went for a pee, back on the scales, 83.4KG - a whole half kilo lighter.

Also not sure if I have a huge bladder :D
I think i need a new set of scales, ive gotten on mine before and after ablutions and sometimes gained weight, and often not lost anything, when ive clearly left 0.5kg go!

Soldato
Salads are great for adding loads of volume to a meal without adding many calories. Just be careful with sauces and dressings. Use zero or low calorie alternatives.

Chillies are also great made with lean mince and bulking out with chickpeas and kidney beans. Since the rest of the ingredients are tinned tomatoes, onion, garlic and apices. All of which a very low in calories.

Unfortunately the low calorie versions have sweetness etc in which confuse the body. At the retreat the in-joke was chilli flakes on everything (we had two Thai attendees). It works.

If you look at the plate as four quarters, 1/4 protein, 1/4 carb and 1/2 veggies or salad.

You'll be amazed how your tastebuds change. Now I find grapes very sweet, and I find chips or battered fish etc really have no taste and the taste of fat isn't attractive.

One snack (part of your daily calorie count) could be a thin rice cake with teaspoon of peanut butter and 1/2 a banana. Oddly it works really well something about the fat and the sugar stops the glucose spike from the fruit.

A breakfast could be 100g of unsweetened coconut milk, 50g of fruit (strawberry, blueberry, grapes), pinch of mixed seeds and 25g of unsweetened musli (no sugar). That works really well. Or small unsweetened porridge made of almond milk with some fruit in it. The idea is it releases energy steadily without a spike.

Back
Top Bottom