*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

Soldato
Stronglifts was a decent starting programme for me. Didn’t over complicate things but pushed you to make decent progress fairly early on.

I think going with strength and weight loss can work easy enough. It’s all just about maintaining that calorie deficit and you’ll have more than enough fat stores etc to keep you going.

Soldato
OP
If your gym is quiet enough, you could superset for the slight extra cardio gain. Bench press one set, straight over to the opposite action and seated row one set. Have 20 seconds rest then back on the bench press. Then bicep curls and tricep press alternates. Hopefully you get the idea? I liked this as it would keep my heart rate higher through the workout. I don't do it these days as my gym is just too busy and someone will sit on the other bit of equipment halfway through :cry:

Soldato
If your gym is quiet enough, you could superset for the slight extra cardio gain. Bench press one set, straight over to the opposite action and seated row one set. Have 20 seconds rest then back on the bench press. Then bicep curls and tricep press alternates. Hopefully you get the idea? I liked this as it would keep my heart rate higher through the workout. I don't do it these days as my gym is just too busy and someone will sit on the other bit of equipment halfway through :cry:

Good idea. Circuits are probably a better choice though as they are best done on the gym mat area, where you could just grab some free weights and create a little mini circuit. Still hitting weights but as you say, really keeping up that cardio.

Soldato
OP
I feel like circuits lean more towards cardio? I was using pretty large weights when I used to do this, not as easily done in a gym mat area. Maybe in the free weight area with a bench though... good idea.

Soldato
Hi all! I've come with the dreaded question that is no doubt asked constantly...but I'm currently on a bit of a weight loss journey, 6'3 and 105kg, it is almost entirely centred around my stomach annoyingly however my build around it is relatively average shall we say - I absolutely want to keep losing weight but I would like to start at the gym as well with a very simple goal of just refining my body shape, slightly bigger arms, toned stomach as the weight reduces etc so I'm not looking for anything out landish at all.

Now I know traditionally to build muscle you have to be in a calorie surplus which is counter intuitive, but given my modest goals is there any kind of workout regime that would see me develop modest gains, tightening up the areas that could do with it as I lose the weight? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as honestly everything online is centred around becoming a bodybuilder, something I have absolutely no interest in doing.

Thank you :)
A few things worth mentioning.

If you are overweight and a beginner to lifting you very much can reduce bodyfat and gain muscle at the same time. Its not as efficient as a bulk / cut cycle but it is very much possible.

To achieve the best results doing so you need to be a in small calorie deficit and be prepared for the weight loss to slow down, average 0.5%-1% total bodyweight per week in loss at the most.

Strong lifts as suggested is a great little routine, you want to pad it out a bit with 2-4 assistance exercises after the main 3 lifts, and for deadlifts you want to do a minimum of 3x5 instead of the 1x5 often set out, as this is far to low to be getting any learning volume in even! Also for deadlifts you start at a working weight of 60kg(using 20kg plates on the bar), to help have the bar at a decent height off the ground and so you dont lag behind in its progress compared to squats.

In terms of expectations, a reality check here for you, you wont tone your stomach and notice it until your BF % is low double digits. The biggest thing about visable abs will always be weight loss, so if you train hard for the next 5 years but dont go below 20% BF, you could have a really decent set of abs, you're never going to see them.

TL/DR Aim for a 200-300 calorie deficit, track your food and be 100% honest with yourself, track EVERYTHING, train 3-4x per week, take creatine 3-5g per day (absolutely great supplement everyone should take for so many benefits above and beyond muscle growth).

Soldato
OP
you wont tone your stomach and notice it until your BF % is low double digits. The biggest thing about visable abs will always be weight loss, so if you train hard for the next 5 years but dont go below 20% BF, you could have a really decent set of abs, you're never going to see them.
True. So often you hear people talking about wanting to tone up and there they are lifting weights, when to be very honest, they need to drop some weight first (IMO).

take creatine 3-5g per day (absolutely great supplement everyone should take for so many benefits above and beyond muscle growth).
That's interesting. Obviously, I've heard about it, but why do you suggest everyone should take it? (I've heard about it but don't know much about it)

Soldato
That's interesting. Obviously, I've heard about it, but why do you suggest everyone should take it? (I've heard about it but don't know much about it)
It’s one of the most studied supplements that has a long list of benefits including:
Muscle function
Muscle performance
Muscle growth
Evidence supporting help in reducing/fighting neurological disease
Potentially reduce risk of stroke
Improve brain function
Reduce fatigue / tiredness

Most import take away is that it’s safe to use, pretty much no negative effects. So even if you only notice some of the benefits, it’s worth it in my view.

Soldato
When and how is best to take it?
When doesn't matter, how is as simple as pop it in a glass of water / juice. It comes in tablet form as well. The only thing that matters is dosage, 3-5g per day and this should get you to a saturation point that is then sustained. No need to front load or anything.

Man of Honour
More or less back to weight I was before my holiday (72kg) and had planned on cutting further, with a target of 70kgs or just under in mind. However, we booked another week away yesterday. So I may just hit my target only to go backwards while I'm away.

Caporegime
How's everyone getting on? I'm still hovering around 76kg and I have a really annoying bit of belly flab that I can feel bouncing up and down when I'm jogging along the road. I'm still trying to get to 68kg but the chocoholic in me is always trying to thwart progress. :D And I still never got round to doing any weights.

How's everyone getting on? I'm still hovering around 76kg and I have a really annoying bit of belly flab that I can feel bouncing up and down when I'm jogging along the road. I'm still trying to get to 68kg but the chocoholic in me is always trying to thwart progress. :D And I still never got round to doing any weights.
I think weights will really help.

You can also apparently burn fat faster when you are sitting down in comparison to someone who doesn't have lots of muscles.

Soldato
OP
You can also apparently burn fat faster when you are sitting down in comparison to someone who doesn't have lots of muscles.
Whilst this is true, I don't think it's the best reason for lifting weights. I just used a BMR calculator for example. If you gain 2kg from 60 to 62kg's, you burn an extra 20 calories a day. Adding 2kg isn't easy either. (Yes, it might be a bit more if you lose some fat and gain some muscle too).

Depending on age, I think the better reason is slowing the muscle atrophy that gets worse as you get older. Similarly, cyclists should go running once a week as they get older, as your bones literally start to get softer if they aren't put under strain. (Yes, I've been reading :cry: In this case it's called 'The Mid Life Cyclist'. Very interesting)

Whilst this is true, I don't think it's the best reason for lifting weights. I just used a BMR calculator for example. If you gain 2kg from 60 to 62kg's, you burn an extra 20 calories a day. Adding 2kg isn't easy either. (Yes, it might be a bit more if you lose some fat and gain some muscle too).

Depending on age, I think the better reason is slowing the muscle atrophy that gets worse as you get older. Similarly, cyclists should go running once a week as they get older, as your bones literally start to get softer if they aren't put under strain. (Yes, I've been reading :cry: In this case it's called 'The Mid Life Cyclist'. Very interesting)
Oh it's definitely not the best reason but it can be one of the incentives :p

Putting muscle on when you age is important for women (and I presume men) because when we go through the menopause, we don't produce as much oestrogen.

So we're more likely to get fractures and bone breakages.

Getting old is **** basically :(

Soldato
When and how is best to take it?

Did you ever try it? I started around the time you had the conversation, however wouldn't say either myself of my wife have noticed much difference.

For reference i went with this, unsure if there are better qualitiy products that are worth using instead.

Also will check out that book. I read tons of running books, so a bit of variety will be nice!

I'm just back from my holiday. My next goal is to re-tackle the 47 mile run in Spain again and then onto a 100 mile event in July. This time last year i had a badly sprained ankle, so am hoping that without that as a set back i can crack on with training and prepare for next years better than i did for this years. What i do need to make more effort for though is shed a little weight. I don't look too bad at the moment, but at 95kg it's a lot of weight to drag up mountains for nearly 15 hours. I ran the last 8 miles of the route whilst on holiday and it's pretty difficult and so anything to help preserve my legs will be helpful!

Back to MFP!

Last edited:
Associate
I weigh too much.. Around 2 and a half stone too much.

I don't eat a great deal meal wise but I do have a tendency to snack, whenever I enter the kitchen I grab something and go.

I don't have any gym equipment or a gym membership but I do want to lose some timber... What is the best way? Meal replacement shakes? Walking? Running?

Help :D

Caporegime
Walking definitely. If you haven't done much perhaps trying starting with the NHS Active 10 app. Otherwise, go straight for 10,000 steps or about 90 minutes a day. No point in going mad, the best health benefits are between 7,000-10,000 steps.

You can also do calorie counting with an app such as MyFitnessPal or Cronometer. Use this calculator to see how many kcals you should be eating. https://www.jamessmithacademy.com/macro-calculator/

Back
Top Bottom