*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

Man of Honour
But you don't count the weight of the milk. I poured until the cereal was literally spilling over and it was still just under 4 servings. I would suggest that this state is not how 'most people' eat their cereal. I don't think I would have tried to get milk into this bowl... I weighed (as I have before) my large serving in a bowl and it was 90g, so 2.25 servings. I would suggest it is quite easy for a lot of people to be doing this.

But we're giving advice to people with normal behaviour and the point was around not realising you're eating a lot. To behave as quoted and not realise your eating a lot is frankly baffling...
I realise that.

I was responding to the point made about how easy it is to consume large amounts of calories without actually realising just how many.

Man of Honour
But we're giving advice to people with normal behaviour and the point was around not realising you're eating a lot. To behave as quoted and not realise your eating a lot is frankly baffling...
And yet there's plenty of people who stuff themselves with takeaways 7 days a week but because they only eat one meal a day or however else they rationalise it to themselves they can't understand why they're morbidly obese and can't seem to lose any weight.

When it comes to eating people are weird.

Soldato
OP
I was responding to the point made about how easy it is to consume large amounts of calories without actually realising just how many.
Yes, hence my comment that your point was correct, but the example is exaggerated a little. Most people probably have twice the serving, maybe, maybe 3 times.
**EDIT** Actually, thinking about it, thinking back to working with lots of people, having breakfast with them, most people are around 1½ servings. Bigger people maybe 2+
When it comes to eating people are weird.
Definitely. I get that some people just don't care, but yes, I've seen some people eat huge servings and then talk about how they don't understand they can't lose weight. Mind-boggling.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yes, hence my comment that your point was correct, but the example is exaggerated a little. Most people probably have twice the serving, maybe, maybe 3 times.

I'm not going to get into an argument as to whether or not you think I can't or didn't eat, what equates to six recommend serving sizes of cereal.

Lets just move on.

Soldato
OP
I'm not going to get into an argument as to whether or not you think I can't or didn't eat, what equates to six recommend serving sizes of cereal.
I was not trying to dispute that. Look again. I was shocked you were eating that much, but I was commenting all along around what people might be serving themselves and not really think about...

As you say, lets move on, people eat more than they think/realise...

Last edited:
Soldato
@barmyllama Im with you on this one mate, i really love a big bowl, so i have some ikea deep bowls and when i load up to the brim my portion of crunchy nut corn flakes is easily 150g not including any milk which i could easily top off the bowl using 600-700ml.

My current portion is 100g and 300ml which does make the bowl appear to look full but as the widest part is at the top the added weight is easy to fit in!

Lets not even go there if i fill the bowl with Alpen!!! we are talking 300g at least..... its mental how many calories can be eaten without realising it.

This year has been a total journey for me in terms of portion sizes and relative food value. The number one thing i learnt this year was track your food, track your food, track your damn food! everything for at least 1 month, otherwise you will never truly learn to respect food and just how much is what!.

Man of Honour
@barmyllama Im with you on this one mate, i really love a big bowl, so i have some ikea deep bowls and when i load up to the brim my portion of crunchy nut corn flakes is easily 150g not including any milk which i could easily top off the bowl using 600-700ml.

My current portion is 100g and 300ml which does make the bowl appear to look full but as the widest part is at the top the added weight is easy to fit in!

Lets not even go there if i fill the bowl with Alpen!!! we are talking 300g at least..... its mental how many calories can be eaten without realising it.

This year has been a total journey for me in terms of portion sizes and relative food value. The number one thing i learnt this year was track your food, track your food, track your damn food! everything for at least 1 month, otherwise you will never truly learn to respect food and just how much is what!.
Don't eat those types of breakfast cereals anymore and haven't for years. Usually Skyr or Greek yogurt mixed with berries. Sometimes I might add porridge oats the day before for overnight oats.

In fact there's loads of foods I used love that I don't eat anymore.

Even beans on toast or a fish finger sandwich I'd now count as a cheat meal.

Back in the days of massive bowls of cereal for breakfast I'd regularly eat 9-10 rounds or bread a day, with butter spread so thick you could write your name in it. That would be six rounds of sandwiches taken to work and 3-4 rounds with an evening meal.

I'd also stick almost anything between two slices of bread and butter. Pies, faggots, mini pizzas, potato waffles with cheese, mashed potato, even pot noodles. Butter would be dripping down my fingers while I filled my face.

Probably don't anymore than four slices the of bread a week now. No butter on it either.

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't eat those types of breakfast cereals anymore and haven't for years. Usually Skyr or Greek yogurt mixed with berries. Sometimes I might add porridge oats the day before for overnight oats.
Similar here, Crunchy nut is an occasional treat. As long as its all tracked for me and within my daily limits its all good pretty much.

Soldato
We got mini bowls for this reason. Portion control much easier now and they're the right amount for not feeling hungry after. My parents recently gave me some of the bowls we grew up with. They were a lot smaller than what you buy now and volume held is approx the mini bowl of today. No wonder we're all struggling with weight! I would strongly endorse getting a set of the smallest IKEA bowls if you only have the large (standard) ones

Last edited:
Soldato
I think that's why I rate porridge so highly, I weigh 40g into a bowl, add 220ml of water and that's me done. If that was cornflakes or something then I'd be overfilling a bowl and overdosing on sugar!
I do miss crunchy nut cornflakes though!

Soldato
I think that's why I rate porridge so highly, I weigh 40g into a bowl, add 220ml of water and that's me done. If that was cornflakes or something then I'd be overfilling a bowl and overdosing on sugar!
I do miss crunchy nut cornflakes though!
I've found a mini bowl with one and half weetabix and a small handful of crunchy nut cornflakes makes a good but not too unhealthy bowl of cereal.

Also works with plain cornflakes and some sliced banana

Last edited:
Soldato
I've found a mini bowl with one and half weetabix and a small handful of crunchy nut cornflakes makes a good but not too unhealthy bowl of cereal.

Also works with plain cornflakes and some sliced banana
Yep, and I totally agree with you about bowl/plate sizes today, they just seem to be getting bigger and bigger. A standard plate size years ago is probably similar to a side plate these days lol.

Soldato
Crunchy Nut Cornflakes are disgusting things! (Although i accept i may be in the minority here)

No such luck on my long run causing extreme weight loss, although in reality i think at best it's only likely around 1kg based on pure calories in/out given how much i eat mid/post run. Luckily nothing big for a little while so can now just focus on regular running and diet.

Back
Top Bottom