Big headphones in public..look a fool?

Soldato
Does anyone here wear big headphones in public? And if not, do you think people who do look like idiots?

Recently bought some of my first 'proper' headphones in years (Sennheiser HD202's), and I'm absolutely loving them, to the point where my old in-ear ones are awful in comparison. Problem is though I feel uneasy about going out in public with them, and as though people would be laughing at me as I walked by.

Is it just a case of MTFU and stop being so self-conscious or am I right in thinking I'd look a complete tail?

Ta :)

Soldato
No you're not cool enough to do that unless you wear skullcandy or dr dre beats.

Noob.

===

Nah but seriously. I don't wear headphones out just because they're awkward, also they are more likely to leak audio as well which is inconsiderate to other people if you use public transport or are in closed spaces with people. Just get a decent set of IEMs.

===

And also, when you're finished using them. Put them in your bag or whatever, do NOT wear them around your shoulders, then you really do look like a douche.

Last edited:
Soldato
I used to wear some small on ear headphones a couple of years ago. I got lots of looks but it might have been because they were wooden as well.

Soldato
Largest I've gone are a pair of Sennheiser PX100, which is pretty small and discrete. Sound is decent but being open, the quality will naturally suffer in a noisy environment.

Really, these days IEMs are the best option: small, discrete, noise isolating and excellent sounding. There's good quality IEMs at pretty much any price range, so unless you have some issue with putting things into your ears, it's your best option.

The only larger headphone I'd consider wearing outside is something like the Sennheiser HD25, which sounds excellent, isolates well and doesn't make you look like an attention whore.

Soldato
Who cares? I have hearing aids in my ears, I don't really have any "half-decent" cost efficient alternatives. Think about that.

Back
Top Bottom