Biggest jump in Gaming?

Soldato
What do you think is the biggest jump in gaming you have seen?

For me it would be Unreal in 3dfx. Sat amazed at the intro screen for about 5 minutes just watching the flyby :o

Half life in terms of newness like the intro, story and AI

Soldato
PC gaming doesn't really get big jumps because there are new CPUs and graphics cards out every few months. I would say from the megadrive/SNES to the PS1. that was when gaming game out of the back street shops and into the highstreet.

Soldato
PC gaming doesn't really get big jumps because there are new CPUs and graphics cards out every few months. I would say from the megadrive/SNES to the PS1. that was when gaming game out of the back street shops and into the highstreet.

I'd have to dissagree there.
when games on the PC shifted from software mode to 3D accelerator mode the jump was huge in my opinion.

Associate
What do you think is the biggest jump in gaming you have seen?

For me it would be Unreal in 3dfx. Sat amazed at the intro screen for about 5 minutes just watching the flyby :o

Half life in terms of newness like the intro, story and AI

Same here with Unreal Tournament xD :o

I still can't resist watching it :(

50 years have passed since the starting of deathmatch. Profits from the tournaments number in the hundreds of billions.

ahhhhhhh, im going to bed. >_>

Soldato
I was around when games started moving to proper 3d then to hardware acc with voodoo cards etc.....still the biggest jump personally was when I bought the first ever Geforce card (ie first hardware t&l) on the day of release and downloaded the quake III demo. Wow.

My m8's and I were just stunned, it made their pc's look like zx spectrum's over night.

Soldato
Yep 3DFX on PC kick started the modern 3D graphics as it allowed Quake1 + 2 & Tomb Raider1 + 2 & Unreal1 to quickly establish the PC as a dominant gaming platform and demonstrate 3D was the future (technically 2.5D but whatever!) but since then the consoles have gradually taken the lead but PC as always was there first.

Soldato
OP
Yep 3DFX on PC kick started the modern 3D graphics as it allowed Quake1 + 2 & Tomb Raider1 + 2 & Unreal1 to quickly establish the PC as a dominant gaming platform and demonstrate 3D was the future (technically 2.5D but whatever!) but since then the consoles have gradually taken the lead but PC as always was there first.

Console games are made using PCs so PC will ALWAYS be ahead. (unless a console if made that can program games, but then its not a console...)

im going to bed

Associate
If talking just about pc gaming then as has already been mentioned for me it was 3d graphics and in particular Quake - the immersion, style, sound and online gameplay made me think 'wow'. Then Valve refined the hell out of all the above with Half-Life and that got me completely hooked :p

Associate
Lol, seeing the title I initially thought - Sticky bomb jump for Demoman in TF2 has gotta be the biggest jump in Gaming.
But seeing as that's not what was implied, let's see.....gotta agree with the jump to 3d in Quake

Back
Top Bottom