Bike security

Associate
So as some of you know after around a week of owing my first motorbike it was stolen as i stupidly made it very easy for the thieves, well never again. I have a plan for securing it at home.

I'm gonna get a huge chain (Almax Immobiliser or Pragmasis Protector) and hopefully have a ground anchor placed in my front garden. I've just bought an Oxford Boss Alarmed dick lock and I'm just wondering what else I should get?

I'll need a portable chain to take with me but is it worth investing in an expensive one or are they merely deterrents and get a cheaper one. An Abus chain can be up to say £250 but I'm wondering if that'll be any more useful than a £60 quid Thatcham approved Mammoth one given that I rarely have somewhere to chain it to and I'll also have the alarmed disc lock.

I'm also thinking about purchasing a GPS tracker, I don't know if the cheap chinese ones are worth it or if I should go for the more expensive ones and is security marking like Alpha Dot worth doing?

Plus is there anything else I'm missing?

Caporegime
most modern bikes have built in immobilizers now,could get an alarm?

as for alphadot/datatag its not worth it imo,most bikes wont be traced once stolen

almax chains are bolt cutter proof but they are very heavy,its possible to carry it in a rucksack though I carry mine when I know im gonna be leaving my bike parked up for a length of time

you want plenty things that get attention like noisy alarms

when parking up out and about try and park where its well lit and busy,supermarkets near the entrances ect,and always chain it up to something solid

Last edited:

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Dont bother with a alarm, they are more trouble than they are worth.

Disc lock front and rear, ground anchor and a good chain. if you cant get a ground anchor get a large bin. (The ones outside supermarkets work well for this (cough cough) and fill it with concrete stick a steel pipe through it for your chain the higher the better and stick a trailing plant pot on top (tomato work well)

Ground anchors are only good if you have a very good chain to a determined scumbag. Keep the chain off the ground at all times if you can.

Associate
OP
I just realised that simple cover will help with security a bit. I'm also thinking about setting up a cheap CCTV camera to cover the front garden too. I'm going a bit mad but I've pretty much lost a month's wages and that is incredibly painful.

Ground anchors are only good if you have a very good chain to a determined scumbag. Keep the chain off the ground at all times if you can.

Not sure I'll be able to keep the chain off the ground with the ground anchor I'm planning on using

bcXqz3W.jpg

but it shouldn't be too much of a problem as supposedly the chains I'm planning on using at home are uncroppable.

Soldato
Bikes are often stolen to order, for parts or to meet demand.
125s and Sports bikes are most popular, in all three categories. Tatty or heavily customised bikes are harder to sell.

You also get joyriders, but they tend to be kids so are restricted to whatever they can handle - Typically 125s and below, rather than big, heavy fast things.

If a thief really wants it and has the tools (such as a plasma torch), they will get it... but that's what your insurance is for. Your job is to make it harder and more hassle than it's worth for the average/casual thief.
Usually, thieves will just come along and lift the bike into a van, so work around that to start with...

Cover - More useful when parked on the street, but if they can't see what's under there it means they can't just drive past and case it/clock it. Having to stop and take the cover off takes time and could set off alarms.

Disclock - Additional security, especially if you get one with a disc detainer lock. Actually pretty hard to cut, impossible to pick or jimmy with a screwdriver.
You can also get alarmed disclocks from companies like Xena.

Immobiliser - Stops someone from screwdriver-ing your lock and riding off. May also be set up to limit hot-wiring. Some can be problematic though and fail even when you're riding.

Bike alarm - Makes a loud noise if someone messes with your bike. No-one else will care, but it's most useful if YOU are nearby and can get out there with a cricket bat, or something!!
Loud noises do still attract attention and can help deter thieves. The combined sounds of a bike alarm *and* a disclock alarm may well be enough to get other people's attention, too.

Chain - Put this through a part of the bike that isn't easily removable, ie the frame rather than just a wheel. Keep the chain well off the ground so they can't use the floor to brace bolt cutters. Again, try and get a lock that has a shrouded bolt and a lock that is hard to pick/force. Chaining it to something not easily movable like a lamp post (NOT a bollard that they can lift it over) is a good idea.
You can get tailpacks to carry heavy chains (some come with them included), which are bags that affix to the rear seat by strapping under, then having QR clips to take it off easily if you need.

Again, it won't stop a determined thief, but you will be insured (I hope) and this is more about making sure you don't find yourself stranded or generally inconvenienced.

Soldato
I wouldn't bother with a normal alarm, people ignore them and it'll just **** off your neighbours. If I ever have an alarm it'll be a silent one, they come with fobs etc that alert you so you can check which scrote is attempting to steal your bike and pursuade them otherwise with a large baseball bat or similar... :D

Associate
OP
What about the carry chains? Obviously the one I'll use at home with be either 16 or 19mm and secure but too big to take with me but what do I buy for short trips out?

Do I go cheap and just assume that anyone out with the equipment to take on a 12mm chain will have my bike no matter what or is that naive and it's worth spending £80+ on the big brands?

Associate
OP
Looking at the website it's probably 16mm, I'm not sure I'll be able to carry that much weight around with me but the thing I suppose I worry about the most is that there is so rarely anything to chain the bike to anyway.

What I may do is just buy the 16mm for home and see if I fancy lugging that about with me.

Associate
OP
In central London I can only really park in designated motorcycle parking and it's hit and miss if there is anywhere to chain it to.

Plus I'd planned on using lamp posts particularly on my road but they're right next to houses rather than right next to the road so the chain would span across the pavement which would be a trip hazard.

Even my underground parking space at work I don't have anywhere to chain the bike to but as I work nights I tend to put my scooter/motorbike where the bicycles park and chain it up there as they've all gone home.

Soldato
it depends on the bike, if it's a very desirable bike then you'll need a lot of protection and need to be careful. Does make sense to have a commuting bike that's a bit more normal if you have a shiny weekend toy, like my neighbour has never locked his XJ600 as no-one wants to nick it :p

In London I just put on a light weight chain that's easy to carry and a front disk lock as well, all you can do here is stop them easily wheeling it to a van. Overnight it's double Almax + thick bike cover. In London again don't park it on quite or badly lit streets. Try and keep it very public.

Back
Top Bottom