Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Associate
4 years they stay on your license for.

:eek: What?! You can't be serious?

Correct me if I am wrong but as this will go on your licence as a motoring offence I think you have to tell the insurance company for an extra year as they ask if you have had any claims or convictions in the past 5 years.

You also need to tell your insurance company before you then ride the vehicle again as should you need to make a claim its grounds for them not to pay out :(

Soldato
Yer 4 years they're counted for in terms of totting up (reaching 12points and losing license) but insurance ask for points int he previous 5 years.

Hopefully this will slow you down and take it easy. Better to get points then to throw it down the road and injure yourself. It's why I'm glad I got in to biking when I was 30, if I'd done it 10 years ago I'd be dead :p

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
IC3: What road was it? Where was the Police car? Just so i know :)

It was in Stevenage on Gunnels wood road, the car was a dark coloured S80 Diesel with this exact colour.

ccea0a43e4e1995af432837954bac9ca.png

Soldato
Dark coloured volvo/2-3 year old high spec saloon/estate? That should be ringing major alarm bells.

That Volvo screams unmarked police car.

If you were doing double the 40 limit you got away lightly. You'll need to stick every single speed limit now, apart from maybe NSL SC roads. Don't get too comfortable, all it takes is one hidden scamera van, and a few mph above the limit... like this one for instance...
wbyfF9B.png

Dual carriageways with stupid limits is where they love to lurk too as people often speed there.

*Touch wood* I've only ever been caught speeding once, many many year ago - was late for job interview, saw the camera but though it was a red light camera. Was doing 34mph in a 30 limit so got a speed awareness course, so technically my licence has always been clean. Oh and 44mph on my clocks is 41mph or 42mph max real GPS speed so I highly doubt I'll get anything through for the picture above.

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Really? I've been driving and riding there number of times and barley ever see undercover cops. I usually slow down a peak through the window if I see Insignia, Vectras, Volvo's or BMW's.

I didn't see what car it was from behind, his lights were dazzling when I looked back he was so close. I was going 40, it was freezing I only had jeans and casual footwear with my jacket without the linear. I only overtook the cars and gave him way. Than I hear sirens so slow down before the roundabout and you can see him slamming the brakes right next to me... that's when I knew it was for me.

Oh well... I just need to take it easy now, I'm just shocked that its 4 years for them to clear. I might get an offroad bike next year and have fun in the dirt. I know couple people who do offroading, my mate said he can lend me his bike to see if I like it.

I do admit it was stupid, but a guy nearly went into me before over there as I was just cruising 36-40mph at night.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
I don't drink, I take it slow in town and in streets with parked cars. I had a child jump out couple times before from behind a car or on a crossing. Right in front of me, I had to emergency brake. She was on her phone totally unaware of what was going on, didn't even say sorry... just walked off. When I go to a shop or for a walk with any of my little cousins, its either hold my hand or you aren't going anywhere. I don't think she realised what could have happened if I didn't slow down to like 15-20mph, I probably wouldn't have had stopped in time as that child run out in the last minute and stopped right in the middle in front of me.

Its like that accident where the mother was on her phone and the stroller rolled onto the road with 40mph speed limit whilst the light was green for the oncoming traffic. Those mothers really don't realise the danger, do they? :mad:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Best to pull over and let them pass if they are close behind like that

Have a look on Google maps, there isn't anywhere safe to pullover, there were 3 cars in front of me and if I braked hard he would have rear ended me. I could see the shadow of my bike underneath he was that close! :mad:

I've been nearly rear ended by couple idiots, one actually bumped into me. No damage to my bike, but it made me nearly drop my bike. It was whilst I had the KTM, we settled on an agreement without getting the insurance & police involved.

Caporegime
They usually check you out first over the radio,then either overtake and drive off or sit behind you

I'd certainly be wary now just take it steady till you can let em pass,I get tail gaters if anything I slow down till they overtake me or turn off

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
I think he got started following me closely after the roundabout, I hear tyre squeals as I did the roundabout doing 40. He was young too, that didn't help. I usually find older coppers to have more brains, they aren't as formal.

Like I said, 3 cars with gaps not big enough to squeeze in safely and as soon as I slowed down to 30-40 I heard sirens...

How does the law work if you have a foreign license? Do you've a ghost license account for points or you don't get points? I know someone who has been caught speeding whilst really drunk driving dangerously, his license got banned for a year. But I don't know whenever he got points, because UK government can't put points on to a foreign license, they can only ban you from driving within the UK.

@Clovis, did you get points with your fine or did you do speed awareness course?

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
The cars were on the left lane, I wanted to let him pass as I was cold enough already doing 40mph. Overtook them back to the speed limit and boom sirens, slowed down to a near stop before the roundabout and he slammed the brakes that's when I knew it was for me... I should get dual action cams for rear and front, I wonder how many views I would get for a video with the title 'undercover cop tailgating a motorcyclist'. :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Ah I read your FB post as you passed them on the left, rather than they were in the left lane.

Oh well you live and learn **** all you can do about it now.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Nah, I don't do left lane overtakes, there were 3 cars on the left lane with gaps in between them that I couldn't fit safely without making one of the car drivers brake harder. So I overtook them and slowed down to the speed limit. A minute later I hear sirens and see blue flashing lights...

By tailgating he pretty much encouraged me, at night you never know if the guy tailgating you is not drunk or if its a teenager in his corsa trying to race you forcing you to speed up by tailgating.

Time to change the subject, I'm sure 90% of the people on here bored of this already. :p **** happens. Good thing I slowed down, if I was constantly accelerating it would take him longer to catch up and I would have lost my license.

Back
Top Bottom