1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Discussion in 'Biker's Cafe' started by IC3, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

Got mine checked at the local garage, it’s 181 kg with a full tank.

47 kg is a huge difference. I’m a stickler for light bikes though and it’s probably not an issue for normal people.

The local mechanic always thought I was nuts and I think I’ve just proven it to him when I explained it was to prove a point to people on the internet.

2. arfoll

Wise Guy

Ahaha 181? Cycleworld seems to have clocked it at 184 so you might be missing a few bolts on yours ;) also internet requires pics with a loaf of hovis otherwise it's not real. Just saying.

Anyways my point wasn't that an s1000xr is the same weight or even class as an 890r, though I now need to find some scales as this simply won't do! I was actually using it as an example of why manufacturer weights shouldn't be used to compare ;) At least BMW's dry weights seem pretty optimistic!

I still think for the kind of bike it is the XR feels light.

3. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

I have a titanium exhaust instead of the steel one and it’s in single rider configuration so it’s missing the pillion pegs and passenger seat, so that seems about right.

4. tom_e

Man of Honour

I need to stop watching bike channels on YouTube, it's just making me want to buy another bike. We're supposed to be saving for a wedding and the mrs will kill me :o :D

In other news got cut up on a roundabout the other day on the way to work, luckily managed to keep the bike upright and avoid going headlong into oncoming traffic by a gnats chuff but they did do a number on one of my end cans which will now need replacing :rolleyes:

5. *Rich*

Wise Guy

First KTM bike....people say they're unreliable, i said they can't be surely? Look at the price of them!

2 Weeks into ownership and it's in the dealer with a leaking radiator....been with the dealer for nearly 2 weeks now.

6. tom_e

Man of Honour

Which model did you go for?

7. BUDFORCE

Wise Guy

Daaaaaaaaamn.

I doubt you could but I'd be tempted just to tell them to keep it a get a refund

8. chaparral

Capodecina

I have also heard many people say the same about Ducati bikes and there also very expensive to buy

9. *Rich*

Wise Guy

I got a Superduke GT. To be fair it’s a great bike, very practical for my needs.

Hopefully get over this hurdle and actually get some riding time before winter hits us.

10. Lakeland

Soldato

I’ve been eying up the 790 adventure r but I do wonder if buying a bike made during Covid is wise!

11. InvaderGIR

Capodecina

Mild annoyance today. Been waiting nearly a month for an order of some Covec jeans as they were on back order at SBS (as like 90% of jeans seem to be right now) and they finally showed up this morning, tried them on and...they are a larger waist than I ordered and so are loose on me. The label says 32" waist but I measured them and they are for sure 34" which explains why the bagginess, they also have some stretch so I suspect a 30" would be fine for me.

Just means a return, not the end of the world really but irritating as looking at SBS I don't think I'll be able to get any replacements that actually fit for over a month.

Downside to stores not being open / SBS having to postpone their Bristol store opening until later in the year due to everything meaning no simple in-store try before buy.

12. Captain

Capodecina

13. tom_e

Man of Honour

Looks great :D

14. tom_e

Man of Honour

Got a test ride booked on a Striple and a Striple R, anything in particular I should be looking out for when it comes to buying one?

15. Captain

Capodecina

There’s not really anything that goes wrong with them, out of the 2 I had, I preferred the R version as the suspension was better and you got smoother throttle response.

What sort of budget you looking at?

16. tom_e

Man of Honour

Looking up to about 5.5k seems to get a 2015 r with low miles

17. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

There are a few really common issues, but nothing major other than the reg/rec issue on all models that's very well documented.

The biggest ones are:
    1. The reg/rec fails regularly, so test the battery voltage before and after the test ride, as well as when the engine is running
    2. The automatic cam chain tensioner stops functioning, but don't buy one with a manual tensioner as people set these too tight to "stop the tappety sound" and destroy their engines
    3. The gear indicator sensor is prone to failing
    4. The headlights can crack easily
    If you weigh more than 70kg then the standard model will be under-sprung for your weight.

18. tom_e

Man of Honour

Sounds very similar to the Bird then. I'm well over 70kg :o

19. khemist

Soldato

Does anyone know where i can find some sato racing inner weights?, with or without the bar ends, can't find any stock on their website or in UK, I need them so i can fit bar end mirrors.

20. mattup

Hitman

I had a couple of KTMs. The first one was 690 Duke, that I had every possible upgrade on including the race cam, cat delete and akra. Great bike but loosened fillings! The second was an 1190 adventure. All sorts of issues, oil leak, fuel pump filters and multiple trips to the dealer. When it was good it was fine but it was inconsistent.

Both bikes clearly built to a budget. Poor fastener quality and lots of cheap plastic.

You pays your money and takes your chances.

would I buy another? No.

Matt