Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Transmission breaker
Don
Been working on getting my new garage sorted out after a house move!
Finally got 2 of the bikes in place. When we moved, we basically dumped the entire contents of the house into the garage. So we have been slowly unpacking/clearing it out over the last 3 weeks, and got enough space to get two of the bikes in for the first time.

GarageNBS006.jpg

Little more tidying to do, but really happy with the space moving up from a small single :)
Got to squeeze in 2 more bikes, yet, but they don't come out as often, so will not need to be easy access!

Man of Honour
Finally got 2 of the bikes in place. When we moved, we basically dumped the entire contents of the house into the garage. So we have been slowly unpacking/clearing it out over the last 3 weeks, and got enough space to get two of the bikes in for the first time.

GarageNBS006.jpg

Little more tidying to do, but really happy with the space moving up from a small single :)
Got to squeeze in 2 more bikes, yet, but they don't come out as often, so will not need to be easy access!
That's my dream right there. Not bothered about the house just want a big garage with all the bikes :D

Associate

GarageNBS006.jpg

i've got garage envy :D, my rather expensive ducati panigale v4 lives in a cold damp shed :o

Soldato
Might have a little look at some MT10's; I've always loved the sound of an R1 and one would be my dream bike but having had an SV650S and now an XJ6N(Naked) I feel like an MT10 would be a better option. My main concern though is I still don't have anywhere to store the bike to keep it sheltered; as a result the XJ is a bit neglected.

I should be getting somewhere soon, but... also they seem to be costing around £8k or so.

And, I've always said that I don't need anything bigger than the XJ, and I still don't; the bike is more capable than I am and I still love it, having had it for around 4 years now

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anybody have any tips on a private bike sale?

bymWae3.png

I'm looking at this Kawasaki ZX6R (2019) from a seller not too far away. I've no doubt the bike is well looked after etc only 2800 miles, been garaged etc

My concern is payment, I don't have an issue with bank transfer but if for any reason the payment got held up it would put me in a very awkward position, as the seller isn't going to let me have the bike without the funds having cleared. So cash would be better right?

Also is a written receipt sufficient as proof of sale, say for example the bike got reported stolen after I've paid for it?

Thanks

Transmission breaker
Don
The AA do a car buyers receipt template that I have used many times. I always use this when buying/selling.
I frequently use bank transfer to buy, only once had any delay and it has been near instant every other time.
Have the insurance prepared and ready to go the moment you complete the sale, that way you are covered from the moment you finish the call to the company.

Associate
Does anybody have any tips on a private bike sale?

bymWae3.png

I'm looking at this Kawasaki ZX6R (2019) from a seller not too far away. I've no doubt the bike is well looked after etc only 2800 miles, been garaged etc

My concern is payment, I don't have an issue with bank transfer but if for any reason the payment got held up it would put me in a very awkward position, as the seller isn't going to let me have the bike without the funds having cleared. So cash would be better right?

Also is a written receipt sufficient as proof of sale, say for example the bike got reported stolen after I've paid for it?

Thanks

Do a HPI check on it. About payment method, check with the seller what they'd prefer, i think most prefer bank transfer nowadays. To setup for the transaction, deposit a few pence into the sellers bank account before you do the actual transfer of funds, do it the day before or something and ask the seller to confirm they received it ok. Doing this smooths out the process of the actual payment as the seller will be already in your banking app as a Payee. I've only ever had 1 delay doing a bank transfer, it took a few hours.

If they want cash then make sure you get a written and signed receipt. Meet them at their home and not some layby etc. If it's not far away I'd view the bike 1st without cash on you, maybe take enough for a small deposit (get a receipt), just to make sure you're comfortable with everything. Good luck, nice bikes those zx6r's considered 1 for myself recently.

Soldato
Finally got the nod last week, that the S1000R is finally all fixed yay! BMW have had it since October the 14th, and had also damaged it whilst in their care; not 100% what/how they did it, but it has apparently been fixed. I did at least manage to get BMW to cover the cost of my MOT and storage fees as a goodwill gesture.

Unfortunately, I had a hernia repair on Monday, so I couldn't go rushing to get the old girl - probably shouldn't for a few more weeks, but the temptation is strong - and I don't think my wound is going to be an issue...

So here's hoping she's back to tip top condition, and there's no issues picking her up!

Caporegime
Bad stuff: getting annoyed with the trackers, they seem to be chewing through batteries like mad. We're already on our second pair of batteries, both her Vespa and my Aprilia. I may need to come up with some kind of solution to this, as I cba pulling them out every time to charge them.

Fun stuff: been doing a bit more riding again, even commuted a few times, just waiting for the weather to finally make up its mind. That said, a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday I said I was going for a ride. She told me she was bored and wanted to do something, but she didn't want to go for a ride. I told her to go shopping or something then and like a stroppy toddler she put her helmet on and said FINE in that passive aggressive way that women do.

So we take the bikes for a wash first, resulting in damp arses for the rest of the day. After 15 minutes of pootling about it begins - "I'm cold", "I'm thirsty", "I'm so uncomfortable because my arse is wet" so naturally I say FINE in that passive aggressive way that men do.

"**** no, you go home if you want, I'm having a ball".

Three hours later we pull up at home and it's safe to say she's been bitten again.

This weekend is a little while away, so I say I just want a nice chilled one after having my mom over for easter.

"You chill all you want, I'm hitting the road" :D

Guess I'm going riding this weekend. Yanno, kicking and screaming and all that :p

Associate
I've got that can, sounds sweet. Loud, but not too loud (try telling my MoT tester that though) and sounds best with the baffles out. The subtle popping whilst decelerating down through 3k revs is lovely. YMMV sound wise being a twin.

Soldato
Finally managed to get it in to a garage. I did take it out for a ride which takes me to around 970 miles in the last 12 months. I also last filled it up with fuel 126 days ago.

Feels like a waste but it's paid off so it's 'free' to keep other than £90 insurance..

Associate
Bah. Six months after I last took the Hayabusa out, mainly due to shoulder and upper arm issues that required physiotherapy, I got out there and really enjoyed myself on a short, 20 mile whizz around Wirral. Little tight in the upper back, but other than that a good ride out and a reminder that Brimstage Road has some deceptively tight bends :D

Twenty minutes after I get home, bike still cooling down on the drive so I don’t stink the garage out, postie arrives with a letter from Suzuki. Safety recall to replace the front brake master cylinder. There goes any hope of a run out to J&S for lunch, as we all know what the insurance would say if I took it out with a pending recall….

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Has anyone done any riding in Thailand? If yes, few quick questions:

- What insurance did you go for?
- Did you take your lid with you? (I was thinking of taking with me jacket, gloves and lid as a minimum)
- Have you ridden the The Mae Hong Son Loop?

Back
Top Bottom