Bill from FedEx?

Soldato
I got a bill through the door today from FedEx. Its relating to an order I made from Blizzard during their Blizzcon presale. It says I owe them £23.53 for some sort of customs charge.

The thing is I've already recieved the parcel. How can they charge me this after the fact? And what happens If I tear up the letter and refuse to pay?

Permabanned
I got a bill through the door today from FedEx. Its relating to an order I made from Blizzard during their Blizzcon presale. It says I owe them £23.53 for some sort of customs charge.

The thing is I've already recieved the parcel. How can they charge me this after the fact? And what happens If I tear up the letter and refuse to pay?

Ring them and ask? Does it look genuine?

Soldato
OP
It all looks above board to me. It has the full details of the order I made, a FedEx invoice and a booklet explaining duty and taxes invoices.

Permabanned

If the parcel came from outside the EU, it's subject to taxes. The courier usually pays the tax and fees themselves then chase the recipient for the money back.

Man of Honour
I assume the package has come from the US and you’ve been charged VAT and a customs handling fee. Looks like they send out the package and then billed you. Give them a call.

Soldato
My girlfriend had this once.

Ignore it and see if they come back to you about it, she ignored it and hasn't heard from them since. But in all honesty OP, they're completely within their right to do this. Sucks I know.

Soldato
That's how FedEx do it. Got stung on a guitar about 10 years ago and they did the same with me. Not a word on delivery, then a letter shortly after. They pay all the due taxes themselves on import.

Soldato
It would be nice if they notified you on receipt of the goods that there was a further bill to pay, though.

That would be a nightmare too :p

The customs work is done locally (but not the same location) to where the goods come into the country but all the billing paperwork gets done centrally. Seeing how the packages move around the hub and onto trucks means it would be a logistical nightmare to get the correct paperwork onto the packages.

Associate
Happened to me when I ordered a new phone from abroad but it was with DHL. Thought I had got away with paying the tax because I was expecting a bill at first and didn't get one but it ended up coming through a few days later after the phone.

Just best off paying it, there might be a surcharge if you don't pay it off within a certain time and such!

Back
Top Bottom