Bioware's Anthem

Associate
me and a few friends tried playing this - one couldn't even connect / one kept getting random crashes. I played for about 20 minutes after the initial 20 minutes of trying to connect.

Pros:
Looks good
Performance is decent
Ground movement/animation all feels nice

Cons:
Argh my eyes, first game I've ever gotten a headache playing
Aiming is horrible
Awful flying controls

A cross between division and destiny, but both of them had far better first impressions.

It is alpha, so a lot can change obviously.

just "finished" the alpha and couldnt agree more with above!

at least it played well and looked good.

Soldato
https://gamerant.com/anthem-streamer-alpha-nda-break-origin-library-loss/

Ouch

I thought you could discuss stuff just not post pictures videos ect ? i never read the TOS though so could be wrong.

8. Confidentiality
All Alpha Materials and information you provide EA in connection with the Alpha Program are EA “Confidential Information.” Confidential Information includes: (1) Information about, within, or sent through the Alpha Materials and the Alpha Program, including (a) the performance, capabilities and content of the Alpha Materials; and (b) Feedback from you, other Alpha Program Participants, or EA employees; and; and (2) Information about EA’s products, services or business operations.

You may not share, publish, disclose, distribute, transmit, post or make available, directly or indirectly, Confidential Information to any third party, until EA publicly releases the product(s) or content you are reviewing. However, you may disclose the existence of the Alpha Program and that you are a member of the Alpha Program.

We can't talk even talk about it :( apart from to say we're testing

Soldato
The gameplay seems solid enough but not having the inventory and loot system in the alpha means I'm not really sure I can get a real feel for the game since that is one of the core gameplay loops. Progression and loot will determine whether it has the ability to keep me coming back.

Man of Honour
Cons:
Argh my eyes, first game I've ever gotten a headache playing

What caused the headache, I ask because no game has ever given me a headache before but when I watched a gameplay video of Anthem a week or so ago, the motion blur gave me such a powerful headache that not only did I have to stop the video but I was still suffering from it almost a whole day later.

Associate
Similar, had a terrible headache after playing. Disabling the motion blur did nothing either, it was still blurring all over the place.

On the plus side, it ran and looked great. Everything max 3440 x 1440 getting 100+ fps without issue on an RTX2080ti and 9900k.

Flying was **much** better using a control pad and terrible using keyboard and mouse.

Associate
Lol, have only just got kicked out of the game.
Was still in the tutorial and stuck exploring a place I don't think I was supposed to be able to get to, Alpha indeed. :D
As someone who's played a fair amount of Warframe it feels similar but a bit more spacious if that makes sense.

Associate
Did anyone take note of frame rates?
The Origin in-game fps counter didn't work for me and I didn't want to use Fraps in case it caused problems.

Associate
I was getting 50-70fps on ultra 4k but i dropped settings down to medium (because of my head feeling like it was going to explode). At medium i was getting about 70-80.

Associate
Hmm, decent enough.
I didn't notice any major slowdown at 1440p ultra settings either, though I admit I've happily played the first Assasin's Creed at 24fps in the past. :eek:

Soldato
What caused the headache, I ask because no game has ever given me a headache before but when I watched a gameplay video of Anthem a week or so ago, the motion blur gave me such a powerful headache that not only did I have to stop the video but I was still suffering from it almost a whole day later.

I'd seen quite a few videos and it has been fine. The blur and horrible motion I think, hard to nail down exactly. I tried a few different settings and all just felt off slightly.

I've been gaming since rtype on the spectrum zx 48k including nearly every 3rd and first person shooter, but I've never had any trigger a headache or any kind of motion sickness before

Man of Honour
I'd seen quite a few videos and it has been fine. The blur and horrible motion I think, hard to nail down exactly. I tried a few different settings and all just felt off slightly.

I've been gaming since rtype on the spectrum zx 48k including nearly every 3rd and first person shooter, but I've never had any trigger a headache or any kind of motion sickness before

Yeah I'm the same, been gaming since 1981 but never had a headache, but that video gave me a hell of one, actually made me feel physically sick and the headache stayed into the next day. That wasnt even playing the game, was just watching a video in full screen of it. Its interesting to see so many others reporting headaches too.

Soldato
That's horrific! Some people are reporting its at least semi playable on a joypad, never tried myself.

Yeah, it is the Frostbite engine, which is usually v good.

Screams bad console port at this stage, perhaps some weird resolution scaling that's off? I'll check back on the beta.

Back
Top Bottom