Bioware's Anthem

Associate
I enjoy games that absorb you in to a world of escapism where you feel involvedd in a narrative.
This not being one.
What Games do you enjoy? Production line simulator?

Anything from Fallout to Wow to Rimworld to ACO to Mutant year zero. Basically all kinds of game. whether it be FPS, RPG, MMORPG, Turn Based, Sim they all are based on rinse and repeat processes.

Permabanned
Rin
Anything from Fallout to Wow to Rimworld to ACO to Mutant year zero. Basically all kinds of game. whether it be FPS, RPG, MMORPG, Turn Based, Sim they all are based on rinse and repeat processes.
That don't just feel like repetition...
Which this line of conversation is starting to feel like.
Just like that track by Hot Chip
Over and over and over and over
Like a monkey with miniature cymbal
The joy of repetition really is in you...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
One thing I'm finding very striking about the alpha..it appears as a total marmite game. Some are saying the game is absolutely incredible, day one purchase, massively hyped etc then the other opinions are the absolute extreme opposite.

We like different things, I get that. But it's polar opposite.

You see this a lot more often lately as some of the big publishers are making heavy use of what is being termed "influencers" a more hybrid approach to shills, etc.

Another aspect is that new/younger players might not have experienced some of the older games that do the same kind of experience (and potentially did it better) so they are more impressed as it is new to them.

Soldato
I'm not much of a movie watcher but have recently been trying to watch more movies, and last night happened to watch Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron... and it reminded me so much of what this game looks like...

The explosions and effects and stuff were really impressive, there was a lot of action and things going on constantly... but I had pretty much zero investment in anything that was happening and a lot of the time didn't really have a clue what was even going on... it felt like Just Another Marvel Movie(tm) that didn't necessarily do anything wrong but was just bland and pointless and completely interchangeable with any of the other Iron Man/Captain America etc. movies... That's what these big AAA games are increasingly becoming - safe and run-of-the-mill and uninspired... Some people obviously love it so long as they get their explosions and stuff to look at, but others see straight through how shallow it all is and both groups end up wondering what the other's problem is

Associate
Ah, well this is a bit of a downer. I’ve been looking forward to this game but there’s nothing but negativity towards it from testers. Fingers crossed that it gets better before release thein, I guess.

Soldato
I'm replacing the trusty old card in my sig. with a new shiny in a week and I have a choice to make, my new card comes with a code for either Battlefield V or Anthem. I'm sort of leaning towards Anthem at the moment as I'm a sucker for spaceships and mechs.

Qel

Qel

Associate
I'd probably go with Anthem too if you're interested in it. BF5 was already fairly heavily discounted over Xmas/New year and whilst those offers seem to have finished now I imagine they'll come up again soon enough.

Soldato
I'm not much of a movie watcher but have recently been trying to watch more movies, and last night happened to watch Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron... and it reminded me so much of what this game looks like...

The explosions and effects and stuff were really impressive, there was a lot of action and things going on constantly... but I had pretty much zero investment in anything that was happening and a lot of the time didn't really have a clue what was even going on... it felt like Just Another Marvel Movie(tm) that didn't necessarily do anything wrong but was just bland and pointless and completely interchangeable with any of the other Iron Man/Captain America etc. movies... That's what these big AAA games are increasingly becoming - safe and run-of-the-mill and uninspired... Some people obviously love it so long as they get their explosions and stuff to look at, but others see straight through how shallow it all is and both groups end up wondering what the other's problem is

You've up the Marvel/Dc shallowverses perfectly. Just lots of noise, repetition, cut and paste carachters and no story worth engaging with.

Soldato
Just not feeling anything for this game. It has no personality and seems like an EA boardroom concept, a design to maximise microtransactions and loot box systems.

Also it sounds way too noisy and the FX are too much, every released video looks the same.

Soldato
Just not feeling anything for this game. It has no personality and seems like an EA boardroom concept, a design to maximise microtransactions and loot box systems.

Also it sounds way too noisy and the FX are too much, every released video looks the same.

I agree. It seems like its a box ticker that tries to take all of the worst bits from all of the other successful franchises in that it has or will be:

- 3rd person so that players can see their character
- Loads of customisation options ergo micro-transaction possibility
- Persistent online playing area
- Grind, grind and more grind no doubt
- Probably content bare at release with more subsequent content released in the months after if successful enough, if not then dropped like stone

V F

V F

Soldato
I agree. It seems like its a box ticker that tries to take all of the worst bits from all of the other successful franchises in that it has or will be:

- 3rd person so that players can see their character
- Loads of customisation options ergo micro-transaction possibility
- Persistent online playing area
- Grind, grind and more grind no doubt
- Probably content bare at release with more subsequent content released in the months after if successful enough, if not then dropped like stone

Multiplayer gaming really has become so dire because of all this.

Back
Top Bottom