Bioware's Anthem

Soldato
They're actors following a script, seems to be an increasingly common thing these days, The Division did the same thing. Companies seem to do it to try and suggest people roleplaying as the characters or something, whereas of course we gamers know that comms are usually more like

player 1 : **** my mouse is all over the place
player 2 : afk bio
player 1 : damnit, what an ******* , 1 player down already then
player 3 : IS MY MIC LOUD ENOUGH??
player 4 : Jesus !! turn it down
player 2 : bk , what we doin?
player 3 : Sorry
player 4 : **** come on guys, lets get going, I've only got half an hour
player 1 : wtf did you join for if you only have half hour??
player 3 : *plays some rock music down the mic at max volume*
player 4 : christ , turn that **** off !
player 3 : **** you
Player 3 has left the game
Player 1 has lost connection
player 4 : Well this was a waste of ******* time
Player 4 has left the game
player 2 : k guys, I'm ready to go......guys?
Great times!

Associate
Doesn't look that bad, I'll be keeping an eye on it, but frankly Bioware lost my automatic preorder "it's Bioware, I know it'll good" privileges several games ago.

Caporegime
Did EA seriously look at Destiny and because purely due to being published by their arch nemesis Activision, that they went and told Bioware to copy paste the whole thing?

I'm reserving some judgement until it comes out, not impressed as it stands.

Man of Honour
Did EA seriously look at Destiny and because purely due to being published by their arch nemesis Activision, that they went and told Bioware to copy paste the whole thing?

If they:

-Make game mechanics intuitive, well thought out and skill progression/unlocks rewarding.
-Good definition and focus to group/teamplay mechanics especially UI stuff
-Make combat discrete and focused from the surroundings i.e. look at how City of Heroes did it with stand out groups that had defined definition from their surroundings and a sense of boundaries to the combat.

I think it could be successful.

The video didn't really inspire me to that end though - they'd do well to look at games like Hellgate London and City of Heroes and what they did well and where they fell down.

Permabanned

Feels good to have heard this from someone else now. The whole thing looks like destiny and just isnt what I wanted from a new Bioware IP. I just dont understand why everyone is saying they are blown away from this? I must be missing something huge judging by the reaction to it?

Associate
If the finished version of this resembles what we were shown at E3, then it looks brilliant. I'm just cautious that we'll receive a downgrade over time; trailer by trailer. But I'm definitely keeping an eye on it.

Associate
Reminds me quite a bit of Huxley.

Not necessarily a bad thing though as long as it doesn't turn into the mess that Huxley became in it's development hell - Megacity just became a very bland staging area where you just ended up with "kill 10 rats" style questing and the battle areas were very bland arenas seemingly not much larger than a UT style map.

Anyway on topic if Anthem is truly an open world between hub and game area then it could be quite awesome (and live up to the demo AI) - keeping my eye on this.

Associate
I'm a big fan of Digital Foundry; their insight and explaination is excellent.
None of their initial findings surprised me; especially considering it's supposed to be a 'pre-alpha' build, so plenty of time for further tweaking. The checkerboarding is also going to feature in many titles on X1X; especially titles of this scale and grandeur.

Soldato
Bioware don't make RPG's anymore.

I don't expect much from this. Especially after the massive failure of ME:A. Whats even worse to think about is they sacrificed the Mass Effect franchise for this game.

:(

Back
Top Bottom