BIR Curry Anyone?

Associate
OP
That sounds a good idea, when you say highest heat, I think our oven goes to 250 degrees C, how hot do you go and how long do you leave it to cook for (roughly) ?

Definitely agree about marinating!

Mines goes to gas mark 9 which I believe is around 240c. Just until its done to your liking, normally 15 - 20 mins to cook right through.

Mate when I saw that I thought you had blatantly just got a takeaway and took a photo of it, the fact you made it yourself, basically shows me you succeeded in that quest of BIR!!!

Totally agree, you can almost smell how good this one would be. I like the sauce to meat ratio here.

Soldato
Planning tikka masala next, had to get some extra spices for that. Might do a naan bread as well should be able to get that done reasonably well in my pizza oven.

Going to treat myself to a cheap aluminium pan as well. 28cm should do. Only got nonstick stock ones otherwise and a iron pan.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Planning tikka masala next, had to get some extra spices for that. Might do a naan bread as well should be able to get that done reasonably well in my pizza oven.

Going to treat myself to a cheap aluminium pan as well. 28cm should do. Only got nonstick stock ones otherwise and a iron pan.

I presume your pizza oven gets really hot? What tikka you cooking, chicken?

I don't have a aluminium pan, just a stainless steel one from ikea. Yes I think the sticking and scraping is key to getting the real flavour.

What recipe you planning to use? Dan Toombs book?

Soldato
I presume your pizza oven gets really hot? What tikka you cooking, chicken?

I don't have a aluminium pan, just a stainless steel one from ikea. Yes I think the sticking and scraping is key to getting the real flavour.

What recipe you planning to use? Dan Toombs book?

Yes will be Dan Toombs, pizza oven stone gets to about 450c, and yes probably chicken, really like chicken in curries. I like mutton but its hard to get.

Soldato
Had some more spices and herbs delivered today so was able to make my Tandoori masala.

Get some chicken cooked later in the week and make the tikka masala on Saturday. What's everyone else got planned this week?

Soldato
Cooked a nice Vindaloo last night using a new base gravy recipe with a few extra ingredients i've never tried before. It was spot on in terms of flavour and heat (perfect balance) and I think on a scale of where I am for a BIR now, it's around ~70%. Still tastes as good as my local takeaway, but not quite a decent sit-in BIR restaurant.

Soldato
Made a quick chicken stock for tomorrow's curry as well. Left over chicken carcase, 8 chicken thigh skins and bones left over from making some chicken tikka.
Some shallots garlic and ginger that were past there best, star anise and few cloves.
Just reducing it by half now. Half a cup required for tomorrow's chicken tikka masala. Freeze the rest.

Determined to pack as much flavor as I can into it this time.

Soldato
Chicken Tikka Masala. Went down a treat.

06MXO4xlJFefSwNzN_ZF_PezCNtYURMoz7pidSrnEWEDslYXtQh5Gf1nWPR0NpgsfIqKAnxSwaBvf__izpLWImq2uUahUFh9R2SATChf9CuVtv5jWtO4VRDU1uvn5sx2koMOwP6BRfyAgqah8iXUz9zxBJ95rDWCmQl__JLyTEG0s2s8M-UB-K0_GpwSJQkh-TiPhB6Ih1I2uOaedPjNcP4mx5vnhYFKe4mt9KEiKuLpUdm03xjvih52myd6g6GYzGgziYCcmFCYtI8XmZRiUuQtXVIpxjnzKySHzj7txEQ-8MeuEwdg1qBu_QouXrr_zG5ewv9Ul3PIqlBRSSTxE58jIdI1thg3tgNuZsTL8oEIuvicEK6oiuohHp9ntgm24thNm7NVC9BMd8KbQ_sNb7-seeq14-pzTcRpldc24yRuGVR48GdVYxQeY2Oigf1sbBYoY1TOlTsvCnG_sm4s5CWKsoT7bB1q8bojIeHWHSpej0LnRpwpk-SsXtlzTdOpbwHcwKibiVje4VGepYX5WCVKZvHIOCSEI4htk_lXuGG3CANcX7dyQdtoY-mip-E5jUE9aKIhGcn0-eEwnTJ1V2yZZtYRSpaz06ScToE=w621-h463-no

Going to try Rogan Josh next.

Associate
OP
Cooked a nice Vindaloo last night using a new base gravy recipe with a few extra ingredients i've never tried before. It was spot on in terms of flavour and heat (perfect balance) and I think on a scale of where I am for a BIR now, it's around ~70%. Still tastes as good as my local takeaway, but not quite a decent sit-in BIR restaurant.

Do you use seasoned oil? You might find it will give you an extra 10%, maybe more!

Made a quick chicken stock for tomorrow's curry as well. Left over chicken carcase, 8 chicken thigh skins and bones left over from making some chicken tikka.
Some shallots garlic and ginger that were past there best, star anise and few cloves.
Just reducing it by half now. Half a cup required for tomorrow's chicken tikka masala. Freeze the rest.

Determined to pack as much flavor as I can into it this time.

Was this your own idea?
Chicken Tikka Masala. Went down a treat.

06MXO4xlJFefSwNzN_ZF_PezCNtYURMoz7pidSrnEWEDslYXtQh5Gf1nWPR0NpgsfIqKAnxSwaBvf__izpLWImq2uUahUFh9R2SATChf9CuVtv5jWtO4VRDU1uvn5sx2koMOwP6BRfyAgqah8iXUz9zxBJ95rDWCmQl__JLyTEG0s2s8M-UB-K0_GpwSJQkh-TiPhB6Ih1I2uOaedPjNcP4mx5vnhYFKe4mt9KEiKuLpUdm03xjvih52myd6g6GYzGgziYCcmFCYtI8XmZRiUuQtXVIpxjnzKySHzj7txEQ-8MeuEwdg1qBu_QouXrr_zG5ewv9Ul3PIqlBRSSTxE58jIdI1thg3tgNuZsTL8oEIuvicEK6oiuohHp9ntgm24thNm7NVC9BMd8KbQ_sNb7-seeq14-pzTcRpldc24yRuGVR48GdVYxQeY2Oigf1sbBYoY1TOlTsvCnG_sm4s5CWKsoT7bB1q8bojIeHWHSpej0LnRpwpk-SsXtlzTdOpbwHcwKibiVje4VGepYX5WCVKZvHIOCSEI4htk_lXuGG3CANcX7dyQdtoY-mip-E5jUE9aKIhGcn0-eEwnTJ1V2yZZtYRSpaz06ScToE=w621-h463-no

Going to try Rogan Josh next.

Was this from Dan Toomb's base and curry? Colour is very good, cheeky bit of food colouring? Looks very good, takeaway quality for sure.

Soldato
Was this your own idea?

Was this from Dan Toomb's base and curry? Colour is very good, cheeky bit of food colouring? Looks very good, takeaway quality for sure.

Yes chicken stock was my own idea, i wasn't about to waste all the skin and bones from the thighs that made the chicken tikka.

Esjvnh33WwEiekYcNN5-aj3C8vKyC1rsuxEnhHRXWOBNA2VH83eP3lSU8iUWkKniU6_6WkOoPNhKmwt6lSG8jpRTRf4JwpY__eg-LHu2IbSKvP7V01pAEPkg-dymzksNkPV0zd12kbIUj9ALhCvu_kwAthHrjn6TxniU4R2ecCTJcN3OvIAe-r2s5aAVcEvGpXd90MY74Jmmmq3fDeFCHGji0ebvpxymN5FxFxTj985A8D9RVCoe5psCTakjS6pgxRZa6t-eOfbQ14AFsTNVXAUPJSiv8IxJT7gvikJOrQP0N9sJx8BISQvH9ywnRMYQEvZfwzmCAZUb5uv3i6zvTvYhSMfbg4hYx6qiBr6N5TCjQF6AbEfxpots4QqOiGjIGtbD-1o9ra0mq_cjqP7RCIUAqoUv9J0ipFuFyI_BOvtuu1e3lVBSquQE4IzaGQoVappLFUvE3nIeeWwMcJTeD11xVtzJ2MsiMZr-XaRotBsQrlVcB2zgDn1mOv6XJ-1z3tUoIg7yo5yipbS0wXaCOqB_5YVUVO9gAYpZQELaNFRiiMDO1tpCy4sP7fSbKEenHGKlej49fcELw6Z-f1Hi6C7-r5xazKmooeXzjfY=w293-h220-no

The recipe was indeed from Dan Toombs base and curry. Got hold of a tub of red colouring powder, not sure i would use it again, made a right mess staining the work surface. Need a splash guard for my pan next.

Associate
OP
Yes chicken stock was my own idea, i wasn't about to waste all the skin and bones from the thighs that made the chicken tikka.

The recipe was indeed from Dan Toombs base and curry. Got hold of a tub of red colouring powder, not sure i would use it again, made a right mess staining the work surface. Need a splash guard for my pan next.

Pretty similar to what I make with my gravy then. The bones stock will add I real richness to the gravy. Did you notice a real difference?

I personally don't use food colouring's but I do understand why you might want to, as most takeaways places will use colouring's.

I will check out Dan's recipe for tikka masala.

I hope to make something this weekend. I have just been busy but hopefully get a curry posted up this weekend. You have put me in the mood now mate.

Soldato
Cant say if i noticed a difference, as its the first time i made the curry. But it surely must as opposed to using just water. I have everything i need to do Rogan Josh at weekend as well so see how that goes.

Im going to make my own base next time round as well, pretty sure im going to roast the onions and peppers and not really add anything else, not going to add any spices.

Associate
OP
Cant say if i noticed a difference, as its the first time i made the curry. But it surely must as opposed to using just water. I have everything i need to do Rogan Josh at weekend as well so see how that goes.

Im going to make my own base next time round as well, pretty sure im going to roast the onions and peppers and not really add anything else, not going to add any spices.

Fair point. The place I order from add bones to their gravy, I have found very small bits of chicken in their basic curry sauce which I think in most places is just the base heated up.

I have said before I think roasting the veg could work, just bear in mind not to roast the curry when cooking it otherwise it may become to sweet and less savoury.

Soldato
I cooked my first 2 BIR dishes tonight. Chicken dopiiaza (pre stewed chicken) and Aloo Gobi (taters cooked in the spiced chicken stock).

Now the 2 dishes were delicious even the wife said the dishes had more layers of flavour than my usual v enjoyable efforts. I like the use of the base sauce it seemed to be a really pull everything together.

Bloody hell it was a faff though I cooked chicken and base sauce night before. The cook needed me to separate all the spices and pastes into tubs before I started because first time round it’s all a bit involved.

Still well worth it, got loads left over for tomorrow. And more base sauce for next go.

Associate
OP
I cooked my first 2 BIR dishes tonight. Chicken dopiiaza (pre stewed chicken) and Aloo Gobi (taters cooked in the spiced chicken stock).

Now the 2 dishes were delicious even the wife said the dishes had more layers of flavour than my usual v enjoyable efforts. I like the use of the base sauce it seemed to be a really pull everything together.

Bloody hell it was a faff though I cooked chicken and base sauce night before. The cook needed me to separate all the spices and pastes into tubs before I started because first time round it’s all a bit involved.

Still well worth it, got loads left over for tomorrow. And more base sauce for next go.

Thats great, always good to hear someone getting good results!

I am really looking forward to doing a curry again, the whole thing seasoned oil, base, ginger/garlic paste and magic sauce.

Back
Top Bottom