BIR Curry Anyone?

Soldato
Yes it gives the spices a chance to settle and mellow!!!!

When you planning to cook up your curry?

Very true. I usually save some for the day after, as it tastes much better. Had a takeaway for the first time in ages last night. I was trying to work out the flavours and what made it taste the way it did. I might try and ask the chef if I can video and upload to youtube. I can't get mine that good yet, but I will grill him questions if he lets me into the kitchen.

Soldato
Not a BIR but I'm making a curry I do a lot tonight, no one else dare eat it, the sauce is made mostly of scotch bonnet including seeds and onion, some lemon juice and curry powder. Probably throw some tiger prawns in it tonight.

Caporegime
I used to routinely eat vindaloo or phall (occasionally), but maybe now because I'm older I find that a madras is about as hot as I like to go.

Associate
OP
Very true. I usually save some for the day after, as it tastes much better. Had a takeaway for the first time in ages last night. I was trying to work out the flavours and what made it taste the way it did. I might try and ask the chef if I can video and upload to youtube. I can't get mine that good yet, but I will grill him questions if he lets me into the kitchen.

Its worth a try and just remember to share with your good friends!!!!

Not a BIR but I'm making a curry I do a lot tonight, no one else dare eat it, the sauce is made mostly of scotch bonnet including seeds and onion, some lemon juice and curry powder. Probably throw some tiger prawns in it tonight.

Sounds spicy!! You might feel that one the next day!

Soldato
Its worth a try and just remember to share with your good friends!!!!

Sounds spicy!! You might feel that one the next day!

I love spicy food, but it had to be the spice from the chili not just a shovel load of chili powder.
I need to experiment with some Naga chili's might suit modifying a jalfrezi recipe.

Doing a Calcutta Prawn curry during the week I think.
I made a big mistake at Costco and accidentally got a 10kg bag of jadmija rice instead of basmati rice. I don't mind it being stick but no one else seems keen.

Associate
OP
I love spicy food, but it had to be the spice from the chili not just a shovel load of chili powder.
I need to experiment with some Naga chili's might suit modifying a jalfrezi recipe.

Doing a Calcutta Prawn curry during the week I think.
I made a big mistake at Costco and accidentally got a 10kg bag of jadmija rice instead of basmati rice. I don't mind it being stick but no one else seems keen.

Totally agree, although have you tried kashmiri chili powder? I find you can use a lot of that without overpowering the dish!

I think heat in general its always best to infuse heat at various stages so that it all blends in the final dish, for example you can add a few dried chilies while frying off the onions then remove them before serving.

Hopefully it goes well and you can post a few pics. I will be doing another curry next week, might make a full base etc!!!

I would love to get my hands on some good mutton, there are a few very good Asian food shops in Glasgow. I am lucky that way.

How is Manchester for Asian groceries?

Soldato
Totally agree, although have you tried kashmiri chili powder? I find you can use a lot of that without overpowering the dish!

I think heat in general its always best to infuse heat at various stages so that it all blends in the final dish, for example you can add a few dried chilies while frying off the onions then remove them before serving.

Hopefully it goes well and you can post a few pics. I will be doing another curry next week, might make a full base etc!!!

I would love to get my hands on some good mutton, there are a few very good Asian food shops in Glasgow. I am lucky that way.

How is Manchester for Asian groceries?
Pretty good, Bolton market has plenty on offer including goat.

Though for mutton I have always used
www.blackface.co.uk/product-category/blackface-mutton/

Last edited:
Caporegime
Base made, first attempt. Quite pleased with the taste.

Chicken thighs trimmed into strips with lemon rice, stir fry veg (celery, spinach, carrot) and, of course, the base sauce.

15wz1gi.png

Looking forward to making a curry to go with it next time.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Base made, first attempt. Quite pleased with the taste.

Chicken thighs trimmed into strips with lemon rice, stir fry veg (celery, spinach, carrot) and, of course, the base sauce.

15wz1gi.png

Looking forward to making a curry to go with it next time.

Hope you are happy with the result!

Caporegime
Yes, I am. Turned out better than I was expecting, and a day later it even seems to taste better. I'll leave it for a few days or so, and then I will start looking for a curry to make. :)

a lot of indian food tastes better a day later well the curry anyway not naans, rice, pakora, etc. it's probably when it's re-heated you expose and blend a lot of the flavours that were locked away especially if you are using bulk made spices which are powdered.

Associate
Pretty good, Bolton market has plenty on offer including goat.

Though for mutton I have always used
www.blackface.co.uk/product-category/blackface-mutton/

My Indian mother in law usually gets goat from the asian butcher next to Worldwide supermarket off curry mile. By the way, Indians use the word mutton for goat. That confused me initially. But if you ever see mutton in an Indian restaurant or recipe, it's very likely to be goat!

Caporegime
My Indian mother in law usually gets goat from the asian butcher next to Worldwide supermarket off curry mile. By the way, Indians use the word mutton for goat. That confused me initially. But if you ever see mutton in an Indian restaurant or recipe, it's very likely to be goat!

it's bhukra for goat

Back
Top Bottom