BitFenix Recon Owners

Associate
I think I read on this thread that it doesn't work yet & when testing, the fan speed doesn't change as instructed by the temp limit's I'd set.

That's interesting, there were some bugs with it in beginning but I use it exclusively now because how it works. Check on the advanced tab and see if the hysteresis settings are there. This prevents probe "flapping" since temperatures my sit on the edge of a degree and constantly go up and down. May your got set real high for some reason?

Associate
OP
I cannot stress enough how much I love this app. The ease of setting up, saving and applying profiles is amazing. Does 1.4 allow you to set the temps & corresponding fan speeds under auto?

I think it's been mentioned, but would it be possible to enter a "disable" option for channels which are not affiliated with a fan?

You mean say in preferences (or somewhere more appropriate) a checkbox to say "hey there is no fan connected to this channel" so that software auto setup dialogs and stuff don't show that channel as configurable?

Associate
OP
I was more referring to this:

oix1nd.jpg

I think I read on this thread that it doesn't work yet & when testing, the fan speed doesn't change as instructed by the temp limit's I'd set.

It should work. Umm, we can help debug this if it doesn't work for you (it might be easier via email though... check out the phoebetria forum for how to email us)

Associate
Have a little question. I'm running v1.4 and having a little trouble getting the fans to run at their minimum. The fans i have installed are rated 500rpm to 1800rpm but i cannot get them to use the min value?! They just turn off or set to 900rpm. any ideas?

Screenshot of my settings!

and also when the fans are off every minute they ramp to max and back down to eventually off :)

Associate
Have a little question. I'm running v1.4 and having a little trouble getting the fans to run at their minimum. The fans i have installed are rated 500rpm to 1800rpm but i cannot get them to use the min value?! They just turn off or set to 900rpm. any ideas?

and also when the fans are off every minute they ramp to max and back down to eventually off :)

I'm going to let n3mss take this one, your curve looks really strange :)

He wrote that part and I don't have a lot of expirience with it...

Associate
basically i want my setup to run on min rpm untill temps get a little bit higher (when gaming/stressing) and then start to increase the temps.

At the moment if i set it to 500rpm it turns off the fan so when the temp increases the fan resumes and starts at full speed then reducing to a lower rpm.

Associate
I've ordered one of these controllers, should be here Tuesday I'm guessing, I'll be using this software from day one, I've downloaded it but can't do anything with it because I don't have the controller yet.

I'd like to be able to assign which fans use which probe(s), I'm only planning on using 2 probes to control 5 fans, but it would be great if you could incorporate reading of CPU/GPU temps, then I wouldn't need to use any probes!

Associate
My controller came yesterday, to get started I taped one of the heat pipe on the graphics card, set all the fans to use one sensor, fired up Heaven to make sure it works, I had the fans set to be off until the temp was above idle, thinking that as soon as I start gaming the fans will come on, all went well, fans came on and sped up as the GPU heated up, stopped the test and the fans slowed as the GPU cooled, then turned off again when it was cool enough.

Today when I fired up Battlefield 3 the fans didn't come on, settings were all the same (profile had saved and was active), I think the sensor must have come off! The heat pipe isn't exactly an ideal place for it either, it's slow to react and the temp is around 12C lower than the core, so as mentioned above, a direct reading for the CPU and GPU would be an excellent addition.

Also, nothing to do with the software, the display on the controller is as good as useless, you can't see it properly unless it's at eye level, my case is on the floor so I can't see it easily at all!

Caporegime
Good luck with the controller Rob, cos you're sure gonna need it. If it wasn't for the great software these Aussie fella's created i would have ditched the controller after day 2 of owning it.

Associate
Is there any way you could stop the fans running at 100% when they first turn on?

The fans are off but set to come on at 30C, the probe reads 26-28C at idle, so more or less as soon as I start a game or something that uses the graphics card the fans start, but they shoot up to 100% for a while before dropping back down to where they should be.

The probe had come off the heat pipe, I've stuck it back on with a new bit of tape and put a cable tie around it to hold it on, also put one on a heat pipe on the CPU cooler but it's not much use at all.

Soldato
Is there any way you could stop the fans running at 100% when they first turn on?

The fans are off but set to come on at 30C, the probe reads 26-28C at idle, so more or less as soon as I start a game or something that uses the graphics card the fans start, but they shoot up to 100% for a while before dropping back down to where they should be.

The probe had come off the heat pipe, I've stuck it back on with a new bit of tape and put a cable tie around it to hold it on, also put one on a heat pipe on the CPU cooler but it's not much use at all.

They do that as it's a sort of self-test procedure plus most fans need the extra power jolt to get going.

Caporegime

No you cannot unfortunately. Annoying isn't it? You have to wait for windows to load and that is the earliest opportunity you get to control the fan speed. Its the main reason i switched to a basic but more expensive fan controller, this one to be precise. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-447-LL&groupid=701&catid=2331&subcat=189

It might not be as pretty as the recon but it gives you 100% control over fan speed and doesn't come with unreliable software that doesn't work either.

Caporegime
No you cannot unfortunately. Annoying isn't it? You have to wait for windows to load and that is the earliest opportunity you get to control the fan speed. Its the main reason i switched to a basic but more expensive fan controller, this one to be precise. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-447-LL&groupid=701&catid=2331&subcat=189

It might not be as pretty as the recon but it gives you 100% control over fan speed and doesn't come with unreliable software that doesn't work either.
Nice controller that, mind if i ask Matt, are the fan cables pre braided or basic black, red and yellow jobs? Looking to replace my akasa as the buzzing is doing my nut in. Looked at this lian li or this.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BB-000-LP&groupid=701&catid=2331&subcat=189

Aside from the buzz, the akasa is a nice unit, ability to turn the fans completely off would make for a system that is almost noiseless.

Associate
I'm not too bothered about when I first turn the computer on, it's when I'm in windows and the fans turn on because the heat is rising, instead of just starting at 900rpm then building up as the temp rises they shoot up to 2000rpm then slowly come back down to 900rpm, then speed up as the temp rises.

Not ideal as they tend to come on just as I start watching a video or playing a game.

I don't see why they need to self test every time they turn on, the cheapo chinese controller this has replaced didn't need any extra power to get them going, I always had them on the lowest setting when I turned the computer on and they came on just fine.

I only upgraded to this so I didn't have to manually adjust them when I needed the extra cooling, they would never turn off, with the slider right at the bottom they just went slower, and the LEDs would flicker now and then on the lowest setting, with this I can turn them off, I don't need to manually adjust them when things start heating up and the LEDs don't flicker at all, shame it's not as simple as it sounded, without being able to use the CPU/GPU built in sensors I can see it getting ditched!

Soldato
I'm not too bothered about when I first turn the computer on, it's when I'm in windows and the fans turn on because the heat is rising, instead of just starting at 900rpm then building up as the temp rises they shoot up to 2000rpm then slowly come back down to 900rpm, then speed up as the temp rises.

Not ideal as they tend to come on just as I start watching a video or playing a game.

I don't see why they need to self test every time they turn on, the cheapo chinese controller this has replaced didn't need any extra power to get them going, I always had them on the lowest setting when I turned the computer on and they came on just fine.

I only upgraded to this so I didn't have to manually adjust them when I needed the extra cooling, they would never turn off, with the slider right at the bottom they just went slower, and the LEDs would flicker now and then on the lowest setting, with this I can turn them off, I don't need to manually adjust them when things start heating up and the LEDs don't flicker at all, shame it's not as simple as it sounded, without being able to use the CPU/GPU built in sensors I can see it getting ditched!

Cheap controllers are probably nothing more than variable resistors. AFAIK all electronic controllers such as the Recon will always test the fan as soon as it activates one. During the tests I believe that it checks the max rpm. My NZXT Sentry LXE does the same self-testing.

Even the basic fan controller built in to my case belts 12v to the outputs on initial startup, regardless of the position of the physical switch (I use it to control the LED lighting in the case)

The ability to read the system derived temps, with the USB connected ones at least, comes down to the software.

I don't think there is a controller (outside the mainboard PWM system) that does control fans based on system temp readings. They all rely on their own temp probes. I could be wrong and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am.

Caporegime
Nice controller that, mind if i ask Matt, are the fan cables pre braided or basic black, red and yellow jobs? Looking to replace my akasa as the buzzing is doing my nut in. Looked at this lian li or this.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BB-000-LP&groupid=701&catid=2331&subcat=189

Aside from the buzz, the akasa is a nice unit, ability to turn the fans completely off would make for a system that is almost noiseless.

The wires are a light black colour setter. The controller also comes with three black extension wires for fans that can't reach the controller. However its quite possible you will need more so thats something to look out for. I get by on three but eventually i will need more i think. The controller itself is solid and silent and has blue leds that light up the higher you have the fan speed.

Cheap controllers are probably nothing more than variable resistors. AFAIK all electronic controllers such as the Recon will always test the fan as soon as it activates one. During the tests I believe that it checks the max rpm. My NZXT Sentry LXE does the same self-testing.

Even the basic fan controller built in to my case belts 12v to the outputs on initial startup, regardless of the position of the physical switch (I use it to control the LED lighting in the case)

The ability to read the system derived temps, with the USB connected ones at least, comes down to the software.

I don't think there is a controller (outside the mainboard PWM system) that does control fans based on system temp readings. They all rely on their own temp probes. I could be wrong and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am.

I guess this is why the Lian LI controller was so expensive then. You can start the fans on the lowest speed and that is silent. Its great no need to start at full speed all the time and then slow down.

Last edited:
Associate
Can you share any details of v2?

Can the firmware on these be changed? Some way of getting rid of the self test would be a massive improvement, not sure if there's enough interest for anyone to bother making a custom firmware though, even if it is possible.

Associate
Can you share any details of v2?

Can the firmware on these be changed? Some way of getting rid of the self test would be a massive improvement, not sure if there's enough interest for anyone to bother making a custom firmware though, even if it is possible.

Not a lot to share yet although it is coming along nicely but we still have a lot of work ahead of us. Some of the code we thought we could reuse may also have to be reworked to work with the new code. We are finding that its a pretty massive change to separate the application (GUI) from the controller service and probably more work than either of us expected :)

To my knowledge there is no way to change the firmware, if that were possible I would put most of our functionality directly into the controller. That way Phoebetria wouldn't have to be so complex :)

Associate
Not a lot to share yet although it is coming along nicely but we still have a lot of work ahead of us. Some of the code we thought we could reuse may also have to be reworked to work with the new code. We are finding that its a pretty massive change to separate the application (GUI) from the controller service and probably more work than either of us expected :)

To my knowledge there is no way to change the firmware, if that were possible I would put most of our functionality directly into the controller. That way Phoebetria wouldn't have to be so complex :)

I take it there's no way to eliminate the full speed fan test every time they come on in software alone? I'm not talking about boot up fan test, I can live with that, it's just the change from silent running to gaming/video.

If you need testers for v2 I'd be happy to give it a whirl.

Back
Top Bottom