• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Black Friday/cyber Monday - what would count as worth buying?

Soldato
Businesses bump prices up for 3 weeks at the end of Oct / start of November, purely to be able to "slash prices for Black Friday" marketing shenanigan's. Absolute scam.

Install the KEEPA extension and see how rainforest scammed people by selling black friday deals that were sometimes cheaper earlier in the year lol.

Cheaper after bf too... phone i wanted was more expensive on bf than after...:rolleyes: Same with 980 pro ssds cheaper after with samsungs cashback.. bf is a scam nothing more now..

Associate
TBF if the 4080 drops 800 i can see the XTX's dropping to 600-700 and XT under 500.

The prices we should have had from the start!
I was happy with my 7900XT at £699, but only just. (while the 4080 was >£1000)

If the 4080 hits £800, then XTX should be £725, and 7900XT £650 at most (as much as I love my card, DLSS vs FSR and (more widely supported/better) fake frames have some value)

Edit: please, Nv marketing people, ignore this post - 4080 should be £700, 4070ti = £575-600, 4070 =£450 :p ... also, moar vRAM plz!

Last edited:
Associate
Had XTX at £899 for a while now:

• SKU: GX-013-AK
  • EAN: 4710483941733
  • MPN: 90-GA3YZZ-00UANF

RX7900XTX PG 24GO, Core Clock: 2455MHz, Boost Clock: 2615MHz, Memory: 24576MB 20000MHz GDDR6, Stream Processors: 6144, DirectX 12 Support, Vulkan Support, RDNA3, Freesync 2 HDR support, 3yr Warranty

£999 (incl. VAT)
£870 (incl. VAT)
Might have been this one. But I've just seen there's more of these for £899 and even one for £850?

Even though I'd never buy one, these sub £900 7900XTX are among the better options right now. In the same way that sub £700 7900XTs, sub £500 7800XTs are worthwhile for folks who defo want to upgrade.
I've looked aroound at the Nvidia options but none of them seem to be at any reasonable prices IMHO. Not when there's these decent prices on competing (often better performing) AMD products.

Last edited:
Associate
Might have been this one. But I've just seen there's more of these for £899 and even one for £850?

Even though I'd never buy one, these sub £900 7900XTX are among the better options right now. In the same way that sub £700 7900XTs, sub £500 7800XTs are worthwhile for folks who defo want to upgrade.
I've looked aroound at the Nvidia options but none of them seem to be at any reasonable prices IMHO. Not when there's these decent prices on competing (often better performing) AMD products.
7800XT now is the smart choice and will tide over 1-2 gens. Then rebuy for £500-600 a card twice or three times as fast.

Associate
7800XT now is the smart choice and will tide over 1-2 gens. Then rebuy for £500-600 a card twice or three times as fast.
I wish that were likely to be the case going forward, but I don't have much hope about GPU pricing in the future.

Even when looking back at the past, when I bought a GTX 970, they averaged around £300 at the time (releasing at just above £300). A couple generations later, the equivalent priced cards were the RTX 2060 or RX5700 (the RTX 2070 was nowhere near under £400). Neither were consistently 2x the performance of the GTX 970, sure a few titles they managed that, but overall it was below 2x. Some might say this was still in the good old days before Nvidia started shafting folks on pricing, but to me the evidence is right there in even just the naming/pricing of parts. I remember the Brexit excuses for price hikes around even the GTX 1000 series, which is considered to be great value by many (maybe they were going off USD pricing).

Or a more recent comparison, look at AMD with the 5700XT back then, just under £400. Price wise in the current generation a few years later, the equivalents are RTX 4060ti and at a stretch, if one can find it below £400, the 7700XT. Neither the RTX 4060ti or 7700XT even get close to double the 5700XT. Even worse than the 970 vs 2060/5700 comparison.

Sure the performance does improve a bit over generations, but the closer to 'mainstream pricing' have less improvements gen-on-gen (i.e. single generation), compared to the top end, which admittedly has had price hikes to go alongside the performance improvements, thereby negating the price-to-performance a bit. Hence why a lot of folks have been buying previous gen parts this generation, for better value for money. Can't remember the post, but someone compared at the £200 price point the % performance improvement is less than 50%, whilst at the £1000 mark, the performance improvements are well over 100%. There hasn't been anything worthwhile at the mainstream £200 price-point for the average joe since the RX480. Very few spend more on their GPU like enthusiasts do.

If the RTX 5000 series and RX 8000 series aren't terrible, then Nvidia would be giving us an RTX 5070 (or who knows what they'd name it) with RTX 4090 performance and AMD would be giving us an RX 8800XT (or whatever naming) with RX 7900 XTX performance both at under £500-600. But I highly doubt that would be the case. We didn't get 6950XT performance from the RX 7800XT this time, so I have no faith things will improve really.

I'd happily buy something if I saw great value for money (or great price to performance improvement), especially compared to the previous generation. Last time I wanted to upgrade, the only good value for money was second-hand and it's the same case today. I see great value and pricing competition in CPUs nowadays, which is why I recently bought a 7800X3D. Alas we've not had the same AMD comeback for GPUs and it sounds like they are giving up next generation and letting Nvidia get away with silly pricing for the top end of the stack.

And it's stuff like this, which is why this whole thread even exists. Many folks are sick of the poor value of modern GPUs and some have just given up and gone to consoles/Steam deck to continue playing games.

Associate
I wish that were likely to be the case going forward, but I don't have much hope about GPU pricing in the future.

Even when looking back at the past, when I bought a GTX 970, they averaged around £300 at the time (releasing at just above £300). A couple generations later, the equivalent priced cards were the RTX 2060 or RX5700 (the RTX 2070 was nowhere near under £400). Neither were consistently 2x the performance of the GTX 970, sure a few titles they managed that, but overall it was below 2x. Some might say this was still in the good old days before Nvidia started shafting folks on pricing, but to me the evidence is right there in even just the naming/pricing of parts. I remember the Brexit excuses for price hikes around even the GTX 1000 series, which is considered to be great value by many (maybe they were going off USD pricing).

Or a more recent comparison, look at AMD with the 5700XT back then, just under £400. Price wise in the current generation a few years later, the equivalents are RTX 4060ti and at a stretch, if one can find it below £400, the 7700XT. Neither the RTX 4060ti or 7700XT even get close to double the 5700XT. Even worse than the 970 vs 2060/5700 comparison.

Sure the performance does improve a bit over generations, but the closer to 'mainstream pricing' have less improvements gen-on-gen (i.e. single generation), compared to the top end, which admittedly has had price hikes to go alongside the performance improvements, thereby negating the price-to-performance a bit. Hence why a lot of folks have been buying previous gen parts this generation, for better value for money. Can't remember the post, but someone compared at the £200 price point the % performance improvement is less than 50%, whilst at the £1000 mark, the performance improvements are well over 100%. There hasn't been anything worthwhile at the mainstream £200 price-point for the average joe since the RX480. Very few spend more on their GPU like enthusiasts do.

If the RTX 5000 series and RX 8000 series aren't terrible, then Nvidia would be giving us an RTX 5070 (or who knows what they'd name it) with RTX 4090 performance and AMD would be giving us an RX 8800XT (or whatever naming) with RX 7900 XTX performance both at under £500-600. But I highly doubt that would be the case. We didn't get 6950XT performance from the RX 7800XT this time, so I have no faith things will improve really.

I'd happily buy something if I saw great value for money (or great price to performance improvement), especially compared to the previous generation. Last time I wanted to upgrade, the only good value for money was second-hand and it's the same case today. I see great value and pricing competition in CPUs nowadays, which is why I recently bought a 7800X3D. Alas we've not had the same AMD comeback for GPUs and it sounds like they are giving up next generation and letting Nvidia get away with silly pricing for the top end of the stack.

And it's stuff like this, which is why this whole thread even exists. Many folks are sick of the poor value of modern GPUs and some have just given up and gone to consoles/Steam deck to continue playing games.
Oh dear I hadn’t realised that history doesn’t bode well for future gpu performance.

It’s very sad.

I told myself buying a 7800XT for £499 might mean I can then buy a 4090 level card in 2 gens (at 7800XT pricing) which would still have worked out cheaper than buying a 4090 now and keeping it for that length of time. Now I realise that won’t be possible.

Of side note I’ve managed to OC the 7800XT MBA to getting *almost* (within 5-10fps) of benchmarks in games of the 6950XT overclocked performance.

I guess the reason they left performance on the table was to avoid cannabilising 7900XT sales as once overclocked the 7800XT would be 15% away in terms of raw performance for £200 cheaper.

This is what this YTuber did and shows that maybe AMD did give us almost a 6950XT for under £500 (just!):

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom