Black ops 4 open beta (pc)

Soldato
After 3 or 4 decent games on decent teams it quickly starts throwing you into any/random game mode to fill slots where players have left on losing team. Therefore throwing you into a game where you have no idea what the objective is and you are losing 3-55. Same old garbage I’m afraid.

Soldato
How do people even still buy this. Isn't it still on a heavily modified quake 3 engine? It's utterly pointless becoming much good at it either as within no time, the next release is out and people have moved on.

Caporegime
OP
How do people even still buy this. Isn't it still on a heavily modified quake 3 engine? It's utterly pointless becoming much good at it either as within no time, the next release is out and people have moved on.

Its still on their rebuilt quake engine, apparently the BILLIONS they raked in from sales wasn't enough to warrant a new engine that was actually up to date so they just kept gaffer taping new features onto it. I loved the original COD as it was made by mostly the same people that made MOHAA (and the funny thing was if ea hadn't basically flipped those devs the bird their MOH franchise would likely be alive and cod never born, more on that if anyone wants to know the story behind it), back then it was 16 vs 16 and it felt like a team game. Now its just....crap and has been for some time. Last cod game i enjoyed was the original black ops.

Soldato
I feel like the COD name has been flogged to death now. A new release doesn't harbour excitement any more just a collective sigh and the question 'another one?' They must be selling enough to make it worthwhile though. My last was advanced warefare I think, I've had enough after that.

Associate
I have the nostalgia of playing the first CoD games, back when they were WW2 based and PC only, and had some fantastic clan matches and pub games. Now it's simply geared towards ADHD Xbox 12 year olds who aren't happy unless they're power-sliding and wall-walking.

Caporegime
OP
So anyone want to know why exactly COD came to be by the same devs that made MOHAA?

Well, classic tale of EA being money grubbing ********* and giving the developers little to no respect.

Back in the day the 2015 devs used to post on alliedassault.com, both during and after development. When the game was finished it was obviously a big success (bloody mp was still going near 15 years later so that says a lot even though it was a very late addition, originally it was SP only). Anyway 2015 were initially going to work on the expansion (Spearhead) then next thing we know they're dropped and its EA internally making it. According to one of the devs i spoke to EA were basically being incredibly tight with money and not giving 2015 any creative freedom. He likened MOHAA to making a big budget movie with a "made for tv" budget, 2015 wanted to put some of their own ideas into the game and EA wouldn't allow them.

So, soon after some of the key devs left 2015 to form infinity ward and the rest is history. COD was a massive success, EA internally kept trying to make sequels to allied assault like Pacific Assault and Airborne, both met with "meh to average" reviews (though airborne was much better than PA). They even talked about Pacific Assault having something like 200 devs working on the MP alone and it was more like a standalone game than simply a multiplayer component. There were a lot of rumours at the time that Pacific Assault was almost completed, then it was scrapped for being overly complex and the game restarted again, which is why it came out supposedly later than EA wanted, the tech demo below shows quite a few features, barely any of which made it into the final game, these are allegedly what was meant to be in the game before it was scrapped, simplified and restarted (having numerous ways to take on a level and not going along predetermined paths is a very obvious omission). They even shoehorned in a brothers in arms type command system at the last minute which barely worked properly.

Somewhat ironic that the most successful Medal Of Honour game wasn't even made by EA, suppose that says a lot about them on the whole. Had they let 2015 get on with the expansion and tossed some more money their way their franchise still might be alive today instead of being shelved around 5 years ago and COD might not ever have been made.

Man of Honour
Been watching it on twitch for a while, looks like it would be fun for a game or two but the arcadey gun play and movement just looks so bad. Don’t think it’s a threat to PUBG other than with kids

Back
Top Bottom