Black Panther nominations

Soldato
I'm a massive Marvel Universe fan and thought the film was ok, but really?

Does this film really deserve to be up there for a best picture nomination, or is it a "We're not racist" kind of situation?

Soldato
With how bad the CGI got towards the end I'm surprised it's up for best picture, it was hardly the best marvel film to date and making loads at the boxoffice shouldn't give it a automatic best picture nod.

Soldato
I didn't even consider it a particularly good Marvel movie, there are at least 5 others I'd put above it, so I find the fact its up for Best Picture surprising.

Caporegime
/reverse racism.....activated! :D :p

Film was o'rate but not awards worthy, in fact I don't think any of the Marvel films have been quite THAT good in terms of performances etc.

Caporegime
I didn't even consider it a particularly good Marvel movie, there are at least 5 others I'd put above it, so I find the fact its up for Best Picture surprising.

Winter Soldier
Avenger
Ironman
Thor Ragnarok
Guardian of the Galaxy
Civil War
Infinity War

All of them I put above Black Panther, I found Black Panther quite a dull movie.

Permabanned

It isn't. The nominations for all categories won't be announced until January. No idea why everyone seems to think it's been nominated... Critics Choice Award nominees from yesterday perhaps...?

Even if it is nominated in the end, what does that matter? The general public has been whining for years that the Academy only ever seems to enrol movies about the industry itself or gay melodramas. People just like to complain.

Soldato
Another shameless reason to post my review -

Black Panther - 6/10 - A technologically advanced country has built a wall around itself to block any immigration from its surrounding poorer neighbours, keeping them impoverished whilst it refuses to help out. Their unelected ruler forces his people to work throughout the country, banned anyone leaving unless you agree to act as a spy for the regime whilst he personally hunts down and kills those who do not wish to return. He also restricts the internal movement of his people, preventing them from moving to the more affluent city's and instead leaving them stuck in the harsh outer reaches, either harsh dusty plains or on freezing mountains, where they serve as a border force preventing all illegal immigrants who are escaping repression and rape in their home countries from entering.

However, a brave man comes to challenge this appalling regime, to rip down the walls of oppression and share this countries wonderful technology with the world, yet he is despised by those who have benefited most from it, those who live like royals while the rest can only watch from outer reaches. Eventually the disparity between the haves and have nots erupts into Civil War when an attempted coup on the brave new leader occurs, led by the previous dictator and his SS-like personal guard force who show no mercy, even threatening to kill those they love for choosing a side which wants to open itself up to the world rather than remain in isolation, uncaring to suffering of their neighbours.

Eventually the dictator defeats of brave hero, killing him with a single knife thrust whilst our brave hero refuses to be saved, preferring to die as a free man rather than live as a slave.

I'm not surprised this has been nominated for the Oscars, it's a powerful political story with a real heart and warning about the risks faced when good people try to change a corrupt system.

:D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not an Oscar nominee in most categories, except maybe costume, let alone a winner in any but the hype about "Marvels first Black Superhero film" is strong, despite being completely and utterly wrong as that honour would go to the Blade Trilogy of films (which I love), grossing over 500 Million Dollars (adjusted for inflation), a set of films that people have decided to completely ignore so that instead they can feel good by harping on about Black Panther :rolleyes:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-first-marvel-movie-superhero-was-black

Back
Top Bottom