Black Summer (NetFlix)

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Looks good yeah agree we have had zombies pushed down our throats past few years they really do need to spin it different here to keep any interest going.

Associate
Watched whole season - Very minor spoilers below in mini review:

Watched the whole thing over a couple of evenings, it's decent, well worth a watch. They clearly listened to a lot of complaints about the Walking Dead in recent seasons and decided to have their own go at it.

The "zombies" are actually a credible threat and they focus more on small horror situations than the mundane overarching situations that many Walking Dead episodes fail from.

It still hasn't fully fallen into the 'humans are the real bad guys' theme like the Walking Dead either, nor the 'meek housewife turns into the ultimate badass who's a way better shot and much braver than anyone else for inexplicable reasons' trope either, but there are signs of both already.

A character that gets a lot of screen time who doesn't speak English nor is translated gives it a bit of a trite element as well, it smacks of the writers or director trying too hard to be 'cool'.

It's also very light on any preachy elements for a Netflix show which is refreshing, though there is still a good representation of diversity and it feels relatively believable.

As long as they keep the zombies the main threat and allow characters to actually be vulnerable, this could be better than the Walking Dead.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm liking this, mainly due to the zombies behaving more like "28 days later" than the shambling dolts they usually get played as, adds much more terror to it all :D

Associate
Watched the first 3 eps last night. Its pretty much character development at the moment. I found it watchable though think i'll stick with it.

Associate
I'm liking this, mainly due to the zombies behaving more like "28 days later" than the shambling dolts they usually get played as, adds much more terror to it all :D
Thats exactly the thought i was hoping for when watching it, "please don't be trotting zombies like TWD" to my surprise they are quite manic and just like 28 days later.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Intrigued now if these zombies are the scary ones from 28 days later or world war z then this has promise.

Many were saying around the net this was a prequel to Z nation but turned up false, Z nation has finished sadly but imo it ran its course a while ago.

Associate
Intrigued now if these zombies are the scary ones from 28 days later or world war z then this has promise.

Many were saying around the net this was a prequel to Z nation but turned up false, Z nation has finished sadly but imo it ran its course a while ago.

Yeah i would say after 3 eps in they are pretty much on par with 28 days later. Some of the acting goes a little skittish at times but i am willing to let that slide since they probably didn't get a massive budget.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
If people need more zombie fix give kingdom tv series a try, its an asian spoken tv series but very high budget samurai time period Japanese drama with crazy zombies to boot.

Caporegime
Might give this a go, especially if the zombies are a scarier threat. TWD got silly very quickly.

If people need more zombie fix give kingdom tv series a try, its an asian spoken tv series but very high budget samurai time period Japanese drama with crazy zombies to boot.

That’s a great series, I loved it despite generally hating zombies. Perhaps because I liked stuff like the Japanese film 13 Assasins - it had that sort of feel to it albeit with zombies!!!

Similar time period but Kingdom is actually Korean, though they do have cultural similarities with Japan.

Associate
Just got done with it. Nah wasn't for me the horror factor is pretty well thought (Prob bombed the budget out on this) out but the acting and dismal plots flip flopping the way they do just let it down.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Just got done with it. Nah wasn't for me the horror factor is pretty well thought (Prob bombed the budget out on this) out but the acting and dismal plots flip flopping the way they do just let it down.

Quite a few are saying similar in the acting and story line telling.... so important to nail those 2 elements first otherwise if either are missing its gonna get chopped. I think ill still give it a bash since I love zombie stuff.

Bit like Star trek tng, season 1/2 acting was quite wooden but by season 3-4 they really got use to living there characters and story line's were always good so the success continued despite its initial failings.

Associate
Watched the whole damn thing in one sitting yesterday. Thought it was refreshing in light of all the silly Walking Dead drama!

Can't wait for more..

Back
Top Bottom