Blackberry Priv

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
£579, yep. Pre ordering shortly. Read a rumour that there's only 500k initial stock and long lead times on further... the reaction of the Android community has been hugely positive for this, I think BB are onto a winner.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Really want to see battery and camera performance before pre ordering :(

Camera is the only thing I'd worry about. BB cameras have always been crap but they've never made a big deal about it like they have with the Priv. Battery is massive and the Passport has truly exceptional life.

Associate
Camera on my Q10 was decent, definitely not crap.

Im hearing the camera on the Priv will be either 18mp or 21mp.
No way id pay £580 for it though!

Suspended
Wow this looks amazing, I love the elegance of BlackBerry phones, and that qwerty keyboard is fantastic, but with my favorite fully fledged OS Android? instant buy for me.

18 MP, Schneider-Kreuznach optics, optical image stabilization, autofocus, dual-LED (dual tone) flash, camera looks great.

Last edited:
Associate
The only thing holding me back on this (price aside, which I'm sure I'll soon man up over) is the uncertainty over Android updates... After my original Samsung Galaxy S (which I'm still rocking and is in dire need of replacement) I'm really rather concerned with lack of updates. For this reason, I'd put myself in a position of only considering Google devices or even leaving Android entirely and going for Windows Phone. Another option (at the other end of the spectrum) is the Wiley Fox range of phones that come with Cyanogen OS... At least they'll get updates for a long time yet.

I presume, too, that given the 'enhanced' security of this phone it will be somewhat more difficult for the development community to help to keep the phone up to date. (If some third party ROM can just be flashed on it does not really do the Blackberry security image any favours).

Blackberry + Android have no history and so it's a real gamble as to whether two years down the line you're stuck with an aged operating system. I mean it's going to ship with an OS which is already no longer the latest Android flavour so on the back foot to begin with...

Soldato
I'll be having one of these at some point as long as the battery is good. Couldn't give a rats behind about the camera so if its gash....so what!!

I need a hardware keyboard in my life again and this looks like it will fill the void!

Associate
Price from Blackberry is £559. Looks like it has wireless charging too.

Gu_Z3.png

• Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 processor with Adreno 418 GPU
  • Curved 5.43 inch 2560 x 1440 pixels resolution plastic AMOLED, 540 ppi, with Gorilla Glass 4
  • 3GB of RAM
  • 32GB of internal storage with microSD card slot
  • Rear 18 megapixel camera and front-facing 2 megapixel camera
  • 3410 mAh battery with Quick Charge 2.0 support
  • Integrated wireless charging supporting PMA and Qi

The smartphone will be shipped starting the week of November 9, 2015.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
I have to say, that does look like an incredibly smart device. Hopefully it doesn't feel cheap and plasticky.

It won't. You can say what you like about BB but their hardware design and production is absolutely top class. The Passport and Classic are phenominally well built phones that don't feel cheap at all despite not being full metal bodies.

Associate
I would love one of these. I didn't want to give up my old nokia n97 mini due to the fact it had a keyboard.... but £560? even if the build quality is top notch, its the fact Marshmellow isn't untill next year for this phone, with the fact security is the main focus surely being quicker on updates should be a must with that price tag.

Back
Top Bottom