Blackberry Priv

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
It's got a lot of encrypted hardware based stuff apparently, which will probably limit rooting and the like. The kernal is supposedly hardened but there's been some talk about that not being as strong as people have suggested.

Half tempted to ditch my iPhone 6 and get this.

Soldato
Anyone got their hands on one yet? Got an email from Shop BlackBerry and it just told me that orders will start shipping from the 9th. No email for me today though :(

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
I've had mine since saturday morning. Made an impulsive trip to Selfridges. Was going to go on friday but was too hungover.

Hardware is unbelievably good. Software is lacking compared to BB10, but with the ability to use mainstream apps natively.

If you want a supremely good android phone with a keyboard, this is perfect. If you want a BB10 replacement, it is not.

I'm keeping mine because BB10 is effectively dead and I may as well change now rather than more painfully later.

Issues I have with the phone: Hub is a shell of the bb10 version, camera is slow, battery life is worse than Passport (although 6h screen on time is apparently very good for Android?). I miss peeking at notifications, horribly (this will be fixed if they make the hub include Whatsapp)

Positives: Keyboard is good although takes a bit of getting used to. Hardware feels very solid, everything runs very quickly, google now is pretty cool. Camera quality is very good. Everything supports keyboard gestures nicely. The sliding mechanism is delightful. Some android apps are genuinely excellent.

Last edited:

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Just to note, BB have pushed another update for a lot of the apps on the phone and have made the camera a hell of a lot faster to process. There's talk of a big november update on a lot of review sites which will hopefully pull everything up to scratch. Here's hoping for hub integration for whatsapp, personally.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
6 hours on screen time is very good.

Is it? Fair enough then. It feels like it drains so so fast compared with my passport but I think some of that is the mental effect of having the battery percentage always onscreen. It's lasting me through the day easily enough, so I can't complain too much. Passport was just always alive the next day even if I forgot to charge it or couldn't..

Suspended
Was very excited about this when I first heard about but now I'm even more excited about their second upcoming Android phone, BlackBerry Vienna. Keyboard directly on the screen with this one which is more attractive for me than a slideout. Although the Priv does look like a beauty.. I'll decide when they are both out and when I can have a play with both.

blackberry_vienna_android.jpg

Soldato
Is it? Fair enough then. It feels like it drains so so fast compared with my passport but I think some of that is the mental effect of having the battery percentage always onscreen. It's lasting me through the day easily enough, so I can't complain too much. Passport was just always alive the next day even if I forgot to charge it or couldn't..

Bigger + more dense screen and smaller battery than the passport. Go figure :p

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Are BB fully ditching BB10 for new devices? Bit of a shame if that's the case :(

Seems that way. Is a real shame. Android/IOS are terrible at communications in comparison. the bb10 hub is unparalleled as an interface for actually getting things done.

Associate
Got mine today. Enjoying it so far but can't get Facebook into the hub. The hub is a fantastic bit of software though. A few niggles with the device and android but i'm fairly sure it's more my fault that the phone!

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Got mine today. Enjoying it so far but can't get Facebook into the hub. The hub is a fantastic bit of software though. A few niggles with the device and android but i'm fairly sure it's more my fault that the phone!

It's so bittersweet for me and other BB10 fans to hear that. The hub is amazing. On BB10. It's a shell of itself on Android at the moment. Needs Whatsapp integration desperately to be really a full time thing for me.

Soldato
Gave up on my shop BlackBerry order and just went into CPW warehouse and picked one up. Currently typing this out on the Priv PKB. Let's see if I can get back up to the speed I was on m 9900

So far I am finding the keys a little bit too small but I gues it's something I will have to get used to.

Associate
please explain this hub i hear so often

It pulls all notifications from various email accounts, facebook, twitter, calls and texts into one place, so you don't have to open all the individual apps to check/deal with things.

Its just a little timesaver but is pretty cool.

Apparently the hub in BB10 is better, but hopefully the android version gets updated to the same level at some point

Back
Top Bottom