Blackberry Priv

Soldato
I would love one of these. I didn't want to give up my old nokia n97 mini due to the fact it had a keyboard.... but £560? even if the build quality is top notch, its the fact Marshmellow isn't untill next year for this phone, with the fact security is the main focus surely being quicker on updates should be a must with that price tag.

I've not looked to see if there's a date, but next year is only a couple of months away and the phone isn't even out yet.

I'm not in for this one, given it's their first Android flagship and I've just got a 6P, but I would have been tempted if it lives up to the promise.

The keyboard wouldn't bother me (I'm sure I'd use it occasionally though) but the rest looks very strong. Excellent screen-to-body ratio, so decent screen size in a surprising small phone, front-facing speaker (lack of stereo wouldn't put me off) and strong battery size (somehow given the space needed for the keyboard).

The only question marks for me are software support and the camera. The next Priv might tempt me.

Associate
I've not looked to see if there's a date, but next year is only a couple of months away and the phone isn't even out yet.

I'm not in for this one, given it's their first Android flagship and I've just got a 6P, but I would have been tempted if it lives up to the promise.

The keyboard wouldn't bother me (I'm sure I'd use it occasionally though) but the rest looks very strong. Excellent screen-to-body ratio, so decent screen size in a surprising small phone, front-facing speaker (lack of stereo wouldn't put me off) and strong battery size (somehow given the space needed for the keyboard).

The only question marks for me are software support and the camera. The next Priv might tempt me.

Went on sale in the US today. And they've set it for next year but as we know that really means Q2-3 2016 once its avail. And then if they don't shift many they might not even bother and use it as a reason for people to buy the next priv.

Associate
Torn between this and the 950/XL

I love Windows Phone 8 & 10 is shaping up to be really cool. But the lack of apps still plagues the platform and although WP8.1 still does most of what i want it to, it'd be nice to not be pessimistic about apps availablilty. Also, the Onedrive changes have annoyed me.

I guess it will come down to the cost in Dec when i'm due to upgrade

Associate
I played with this in CPW and thought BB are now clutching onto past glories. The keyboard for which they were famed for was awful. Didn't seem robust and felt odd with such a big display. You can probably type faster on Phablets anyway.

Caporegime
I played with this in CPW and thought BB are now clutching onto past glories. The keyboard for which they were famed for was awful. Didn't seem robust and felt odd with such a big display. You can probably type faster on Phablets anyway.

Funnily enough I have to disagree with u, I played with one as well and thought as per usual the keyboard was the best bit about the phone. It's not top heavy or anything and sliding mechanism is super smooth. Maybe the one you played with was knackered but I thought it was a very well made phone.

Might actually get one now, I'm not a fan of sliders but this has me thinking. Plus seeing as I bought the missus a brand new iPhone 6s the other month. It's time I treated myself although I'm loathed to give up my passport.

Associate
The one I tested was just a dummy so maybe the actual handset is a lot more sturdier. The last BB I had was a Curve and do remember thinking it the best thing ever. Maybe BB should have jumped to Android sooner?

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Got mine this morning from the Selfridges BB flagship CPW. Love the hardware, adapting to android. Keyboard feels small after the passport, but the passport felt huge after the Q10. Will adapt in time, I'm sure.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Not coming from a BB system before what's so good about their Privacy/Security??

The lack of rapid software updates isn't impressive, considering the price of the device.

the company has confirmed to us that a Marshmallow update is in the works and should be made available within the next six months.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
I mean with its Dtec system or just the whole BB system in general how much secure is it compared to android/google?

It's got a lot of encrypted hardware based stuff apparently, which will probably limit rooting and the like. The kernal is supposedly hardened but there's been some talk about that not being as strong as people have suggested. Time will tell.

Dtek is pretty useless with 5.1 as it purely informs you of what is being accessed rather than stopping it. With 6 it will likely become a better feature.

Is slightly concerning to see FB pulling location 400 times in 48 hours when I've not even posted a status

Man of Honour
Lets face it it doesn't matter how great this device is and from what I've seen it really does look like a great bit of hardware and paired with Android it should be a great phone all round, BB is just no longer an in demand brand when it comes to phones and I think they're going to struggle to fix that.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Lets face it it doesn't matter how great this device is and from what I've seen it really does look like a great bit of hardware and paired with Android it should be a great phone all round, BB is just no longer an in demand brand when it comes to phones and I think they're going to struggle to fix that.

Chen has on record said that things look good post Priv launch for BB continuing their hardware division. He said they needed to sell 5mil handsets this year (bb10 and Priv) for this to be the case. I think there's a bit more demand than you think.

The big US carriers haven't fully launched yet, either.

Associate
Chen has on record said that things look good post Priv launch for BB continuing their hardware division. He said they needed to sell 5mil handsets this year (bb10 and Priv) for this to be the case. I think there's a bit more demand than you think.

The big US carriers haven't fully launched yet, either.

The exclusivity with CPW for the Priv launch is annoying though. However, there are rumors that its only for 2 months and then carriers can then sell the priv.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Possibly due to UK carriers not picking up the device tbh. Voda have confirmed they will but it's not out of the realms of possibility nobody else wants it until they see how it sells in the US or the like.

Back
Top Bottom