Blackpool fined 25k

Soldato
Having looked into this a bit more, I still don't agree with the decision but I'm starting to see where the PL is coming from. Apparently when Wolves were fined the same amount for the same rule breach their fans had been chanting "Forty-two quid to watch the reserves." during the game.

However, it's still a bit of a fine line. Reserves are still highly paid professional footballers - it's not like they grabbed 10 players from down the local pub! Maybe if I had saved up for years to be able to go see one game I would be disappointed if the manager fielded 10 reserves, but surely the vast majority of supporters know how the game works and understand the need for tactical selections.

Does anybody agree with rule, looking at it from a paying supporter's viewpoint?

Caporegime
It's a device to keep the 'entertainment value' of the Premiership up; you can bet your brown button flaps Sky et al pushed for it, although it probably does make sense business-wise.

And it makes Manchester United Vs. [Anyone <4th] games more interesting.

I think you've pretty much nailed it.

Football is a business and the money men behind it want the bottom teams playing their best team possible for every match. Whereas the top teams playing weakened teams is okay because it gives closer games instead of thrashings.

Soldato
I don't agree with the fine at all. The squads are 25-man for a reason.

If the FA don't like it, reduce the squad size next season. Don't whinge when someone wants to use all their players.

Caporegime
So we are coming up to the last game of the season where Man UTD are likely to field a weakened/not full strength team against Blackpool, will the FA fine them too if they do not win and Blackpool avoid relegation as a result? I'll bet not.

Soldato
So we are coming up to the last game of the season where Man UTD are likely to field a weakened/not full strength team against Blackpool, will the FA fine them too if they do not win and Blackpool avoid relegation as a result? I'll bet not.

You need a basis for the fine. Man Utd made 8 or 9 changes for a CL semi final game, if that team plays in a PL game there is no basis for saying it is "weak" if it was good enough to play a game of that importance.

Permabanned

Turst me, Whelan would sue you/FA if he was not always licking Fergies behind

tbh Man United will want to win at home

Man of Honour

'Winners'' prerogative ;)

You need a basis for the fine. Man Utd made 8 or 9 changes for a CL semi final game, if that team plays in a PL game there is no basis for saying it is "weak" if it was good enough to play a game of that importance.

You can't compare though, the CL and EPL have different rules.

Caporegime

The basis is not playing what is perceived to be a full strength team which is more or less what Blackpool got fined for.

I didn't say it was a weak team I said it was weaker, which gives Blackpool a far greater chance of getting a result. Schalke were embarrassingly bad compared to most EPL teams and I don't believe UEFA punish teams for making full use of their squads unlike the FA.

Soldato
The basis is not playing what is perceived to be a full strength team which is more or less what Blackpool got fined for.

I didn't say it was a weak team I said it was weaker, which gives Blackpool a far greater chance of getting a result. Schalke were embarrassingly bad compared to most EPL teams and I don't believe UEFA punish teams for making full use of their squads unlike the FA.

That doesnt matter.

"percieved" is not factual, it is opinion. SAF "percieves" Fletcher as a first XI player - i dont. If i work for the FA can i fine SAF every time he picks him? Of course not.

You cannot enforce rules based on opinion which is why this is so daft.

Think about it.........If we dont play Berbatov we are dropping the leagues top scorer. Is that a "weakened" team? If we play him and drop Hernandez who is in the form of his life is THAT a weakened team? Its a judgement call.

Caporegime
This is the rule that Blackpool broke, E20.

Full Strength Teams

In every League Match each participating Club shall field a full strength team.

Pretty clear no?

btw I'm not against managers fielding weakened teams imo they can field whichever players they want as long as they are registered squad members... but it seems to me this rule is only being enforced on the struggling clubs with smaller squads which is unfair.

Last edited:
Soldato
So every time Gibson enters the field of play MU should get shafted really?

I think our team v Blackpool will be dire but we'll still win and thus avoid any fines.

Back
Top Bottom