• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Blackwell gpus

Granted but all that means is the photography equipment is a better investment than the GPU.

Unfortunately the rate at which each depreciates doesn't really affect how much they cost to start with. They're both luxury items and, as I said, are priced as such.

Depending on what you're shooting, you would definitely get away with less than top end body and lens 99% of the time. But even as such, my Z6II if it holds 10 years, although more expensive than the 4080, it would cost very little overall / year of usage. 4080 on the other hand... The initial cost makes it makes it worth the investment (for the camera) - even more so since it was bought on a 0 interest 2 year credit card (so a bit cheaper considering inflation).

However, at the end of the day these are just hobbies and their worth is subjective. After all, is hardly "worth it" to drink or smoke, yet some people are throwing money that way happily.

I don't think it's really comparable to other hobbies.
Most other hobbies have entry level products that are cheap and more than good enough.

GPU's don't have the competition needed to drive down prices, there's pretty much only high end now.

Also they won't hold value for more than 2 years, it's pretty much a consumable

Well... gamers could also stay at 1080p at 60fps or even 30fps, since most argue that graphics don't matter. But when you want 1440p or 4k alongside 100fps + and high details... then pay the price. Easy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom