• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Blackwell gpus

its largely due to the fact that amd can no longer compete with nvidia and that the same gpu now has other more lucrative applications with demand far outstripping supply
It's also due to the fact that gamers ARE paying the ever-higher prices, the demand IS there so Nvidia will take full advantage of that for as long as they can because high-end GPU development and production is clearly a difficult and expensive task and the fact Nvidia seem to keep pushing the envelope with 50%+ performance increases over the previous generation of bleeding edge cards is objectively impressive. There will most likely reach a limit of some kind where even gamers with deep pockets say "nah" and sales drop considerably, but we are clearly not there yet.

Where things really suck nowadays is further down into the mainstream you go. That likely isn't going to change until AMD get their *** together.

It seems like it was when ray tracing was added to Gpu’s starting with the RTX 2000 series that the prices of them really jumped up

Not counting the Titan GPU’s which I think nvidia used to test if people would pay 1k+ for a gpu

It was the 2080Ti that started all of this. The first £1k+ card (supposedly £999 but in reality £1200).

In every objective way it was appalling value. Only 30% faster than a 1080Ti yet cost nearly twice as much and the RT support was useless at launch and for a good while after.

Yet people lapped it up and it was Nvidia's first lesson that people would pay these kinds of prices.

It seems like it was when ray tracing was added to Gpu’s starting with the RTX 2000 series that the prices of them really jumped up

Not counting the Titan GPU’s which I think nvidia used to test if people would pay 1k+ for a gpu

There was a bump and a hit forever more. As to do we really need lots of AI tech or server segment stuff on a gaming card is questionable.

The HU video recently showed since the 2000 series there is not really many games using RT properly which is a shame as its been six years, so maybe with the 5000 next year there will be some reason to really shout about it.

x670 motherboard launch prices were 5x that of x370 motherboards.. should have been a much bigger pr disaster than the 4080, but somehow it wasnt
Probably because you can still buy a £100 board and get pretty much the same performance as you do with a £500 board. If you could buy a GPU for £300 that offered the same performance as a £1200 4080 then the 4080 price wouldn't have been an issue.

Back in the era GPUs seemed much more value for money. My laptop still has a 1060 in use - rarely used it as a gaming laptop (7800XT in my main PC), but when I was buying it I decided to get one with a 1050Ti so it could do light gaming, and there was barely any increase to a 1060 so thats what I got. 90% of its use now is to watch TV in the bath on it.
Today's cards are enormous compared to those of yesteryear. Every generation is bigger and heavier with way more stuff. Just comparing my old 1080TI to my 4090 shows this, its like comparing a fun sized mars bar to the normal sized (albeit still quite small unless my hands have grown a lot) Mars bar.

It was the 2080Ti that started all of this. The first £1k+ card (supposedly £999 but in reality £1200).

In every objective way it was appalling value. Only 30% faster than a 1080Ti yet cost nearly twice as much and the RT support was useless at launch and for a good while after.

Yet people lapped it up and it was Nvidia's first lesson that people would pay these kinds of prices.
Yes sort of although I paid £1300 each for two Titan Pascals and ran them in SLI before replacing them with two 1080 TIs. They were the same speed as 1080TI pretty much just launched a few months earlier and had a hugely inflated price.

Last edited:
Probably because you can still buy a £100 board and get pretty much the same performance as you do with a £500 board. If you could buy a GPU for £300 that offered the same performance as a £1200 4080 then the 4080 price wouldn't have been an issue.
doubt that x670e has more pcie 5 lanes enabled compared to a b650.. its not the same thing, i would call that out as misinformation
and theres no such thing as motherboard performance, its a non-functional unit
another way to look at it:
if people are ready to pay 500 for a motherboard which is not a functional unit, i am sure they'd be willing to pay 1000 for a GPU which is actually functional

Last edited:
doubt that x670e has more pcie 5 lanes enabled compared to a b650.. its not the same thing, i would call that out as misinformation
and theres no such thing as motherboard performance, its a non-functional unit
another way to look at it:
if people are ready to pay 500 for a motherboard which is not a functional unit, i am sure they'd be willing to pay 1000 for a GPU which is actually functional

Take the motherboard out of your PC and you will quickly find it is a functional unit

I intend to buy a 5090 when they arrive. This is my hobby which I enjoy. Do I worry that I am getting good value for money? No, life is too short. Enjoy whatever you can afford.

PC gaming is still a relatively cheap hobby compared to a lot of other hobbies.

I've made this exact point several times.

To those info photography, golf, mountain biking etc, £1-2k for a GPU would seem cheap. My camera body and three of my lenses are each worth more than my 4090.

High-end GPUs are a luxury item and are priced as such.

They perform a function, yes
I think you mean performance related, but even then yes a motherboard can contribute to performance as z boards support over locking and B boards don't.
i was speaking in software parlance.. but the idea is to segregate parts by explicit functions, of course the screw holding the graphics card in place is also performing a function, a motherboards job is to connect other parts to the cpu, there are no explicit functions a motherboard performs (other than maybe onboard sound processing and ethernet)

if what you say about overclocking is true then it only strengthens my original argument about x670 pricing

I've made this exact point several times.

To those info photography, golf, mountain biking etc, £1-2k for a GPU would seem cheap. My camera body and three of my lenses are each worth more than my 4090.

High-end GPUs are a luxury item and are priced as such.

Your camera and glass will perform just as good 10 years from now. A video card won't. They will also keep their value better - especially good glass.

Back
Top Bottom