• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Blackwell gpus

Soldato
Well latest rumours have Arrow Lake on less power than Intel's current, so those who insist on using blue CPUs might have another 50W/100W in their power budget.

However if Blackwell is still on 4NM or an equivalent TSMC process AND transistors increased AND clocks increase then unless GDDR7 is super efficient I can only see power going up. And efficiency at default clocks? I wouldn't expect miracles.

Still x90 buyers don't care about power usage, do they!

Associate
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Adding a new PSU to an already-expensive purchase may be a deal-breaker in a few cases. Plus, for those who aren't too confident with their screwdriver skills, a PSU swap (which usually comes with a load of recabling) is a much more intimidating prospect than a simple GPU swap.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yeah power usage from GPU matters because it is directly related to fan noise and heat generated. An undervolt/power limit brings that way down, whilst at the same time increases fps by up to 10.

Associate
but efficiency is not power consumed in isolation.. its supposed to be output per unit of energy consumed (fps/watt or frames/watt hour), so i guess it will be slightly higher even in the worst case scenario

Last edited:
Soldato
Well latest rumours have Arrow Lake on less power than Intel's current, so those who insist on using blue CPUs might have another 50W/100W in their power budget.

However if Blackwell is still on 4NM or an equivalent TSMC process AND transistors increased AND clocks increase then unless GDDR7 is super efficient I can only see power going up. And efficiency at default clocks? I wouldn't expect miracles.

Yet it has happened before just look at Maxwell/980ti

same 28nm (old at that time) process, but higher clock, similar shader count, twice as much vram but less power with a little bigger die but 30-40% more performance vs the GTX 780/780ti

Just from a new architecture

Soldato
but efficiency is not power consumed in isolation.. its supposed to be output per unit of energy consumed (fps/watt or frames/watt hour), so i guess it will be slightly higher even in the worst case scenario
The worst case scenario may be stock of AIB cards?

Best case is probably underclocked where wide but slower could work wonders. Hard to justify a £2k GPU and then lose 10% to 15% performance even if that gives legendary efficiency.
Yet it has happened before just look at Maxwell/980ti

same 28nm (old at that time) process, but higher clock, similar shader count, twice as much vram but less power with a little bigger die but 30-40% more performance vs the GTX 780/780ti

Just from a new architecture
Kepler versus Maxwell had a lot of low hanging fruit in terms of culling and taking inspiration from tile-based rendering. Plus wasn't it Audi when Nvidia started diverging gaming and the big compute cards?

EDIT: last paragraph should have had "had" instead of "has". The phone's autocorrect is far too fond of "has"!

Last edited:
Associate
The worst case scenario may be stock of AIB cards?

Best case is probably underclocked where wide but slower could work wonders. Hard to justify a £2k GPU and then lose 10% to 15% performance even if that gives legendary efficiency.

i would guess that the average efficiency of rtx 5090 at rated peak utilization will be greater than that of rtx 4090 (worst case it will be slightly greater - 0.6 fps per watt), and it could even perhaps come in spitting distance of rtx 4080 (best case - 0.7 fps per watt), and then you could further unlock efficiency by limiting power supply

nvidia regressing efficiency with the rtx 50 series is a low probability event, they are not making any big bets like they did with samsung in 2020

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes... Some I keep, some I give away to family, some I sell, no biggie. The only instructions I am given are to "just recycle them, we're sure you can find ways". So yes, I can do what I want with stuff that is now my property :p

It's glorious isn't it? :cry:

I've a small stockpile of products from reviews that im pondering on selling to fund the next upgrade.

• Love
Reactions: mrk

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I am currently deciding what to do with this 48,000mAh power bank that outputs a total of 300 watts after it's done with reviewing, it's too good to move on, something like this could be used via a solar panel and then just charge my portables day in day out without ever being plugged into the wall socket :cool:

38tngwN.jpeg

The one on the left is only 10,000mAh but outputs 100W PD fast charging
:D

Might be useful for powering an RTX 5090 maybe....

Last edited:
Soldato
You do reviews?

Links!!!

We started doing them last month, not extensively but it's mostly all written reviews.

We did one for Streacom recently that's live on their website now that links back to our site.

Link to review is at the bottom:

Working on the July stuff at the moment as we got sent a bunch of memory modules, also a board and a gpu from MSI that's going into a build.

Reactions: TNA
Soldato
I am currently deciding what to do with this 48,000mAh power bank that outputs a total of 300 watts after it's done with reviewing, it's too good to move on, something like this could be used via a solar panel and then just charge my portables day in day out without ever being plugged into the wall socket :cool:

38tngwN.jpeg

The one on the left is only 10,000mAh but outputs 100W PD fast charging
:D

Might be useful for powering an RTX 5090 maybe....

I'd keep it!

Reactions: mrk
Soldato

:rolleyes:

Soldato
Customers definitely will agree. They will just jack the prices up to counter and continue making the same revenue.
Customers of those customers however... I'm not sure we will be quite as amused.

Soldato

Alternative headline: Drug dealer raises prices by 10%, customers seemingly agree to pay new price

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm sitting things it for a while and see what happens, other priorities for my money. I'm still hoping for some decent midrange competition but it's not looking too promising right now.

Soldato

10-15% increase on the 50 series cards then, definitely be seeing a 1.9-2k 5090 FE then if that's the case.

Edit: that's before retailers start talking about inflation BS ontop.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom