• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Blackwell gpus

Associate
I didn't think I'd be here saying what I''m about to say, but I guess this just fell into my lap :cry:

I was in Curry's yesterday helping someone find a DisplayPort cable (they needed it same day, hence buying cheaper online).
We started talking to the nice staff member who helpd us find the cable, who made a joke about buying up the remaining stock of cables and scalping them, which naturally lead to GPU discussion.

While he didn't give away too many details, he mentioned about getting in stock for the 5000 series and pricing-wise he mentioned that the 5060 was the only reasonably priced one, while the others are just unaffordable.
No surprises there...

But what was interesting to hear was the stock situation, it sounds like the suppliers don't trust retailers to have them in store and initial stock sounds to be online only.
They made it sound as though there was a concern with leaks, early sales in-store, etc.
Otherwise, it almost makes it sound as though launch will probably be with low stock, as usual.

Still surprising to hear that there's already 5060 in the works, might not be quite as far off as the other cards in the lineup.
The concern with leaks makes me think that they won't be as great as folks want them to be, like they don't want to lose sales from people finding out the performance.

Associate
While he didn't give away too many details, he mentioned about getting in stock for the 5000 series and pricing-wise he mentioned that the 5060 was the only reasonably priced one, while the others are just unaffordable.
That boy has a stronger imagination than Charles Dickens. ;)

Associate
I didn't think I'd be here saying what I''m about to say, but I guess this just fell into my lap :cry:

I was in Curry's yesterday helping someone find a DisplayPort cable (they needed it same day, hence buying cheaper online).
We started talking to the nice staff member who helpd us find the cable, who made a joke about buying up the remaining stock of cables and scalping them, which naturally lead to GPU discussion.

No surprises there...

But what was interesting to hear was the stock situation, it sounds like the suppliers don't trust retailers to have them in store and initial stock sounds to be online only.
They made it sound as though there was a concern with leaks, early sales in-store, etc.
Otherwise, it almost makes it sound as though launch will probably be with low stock, as usual.

Still surprising to hear that there's already 5060 in the works, might not be quite as far off as the other cards in the lineup.
The concern with leaks makes me think that they won't be as great as folks want them to be, like they don't want to lose sales from people finding out the performance.

Firstly Currys hardly has any stock of anything at the best of times, and secondly as to the claim they are simply unaffordable, Currys prices are 25% higher than anywhere else

Caporegime
No surprises there...
Guy was BS'ing you to the Moon, knows nothing. Only way they get to impress non-techies I suppose & get a kick out of it.

Associate
i just caught on some news from kopite, looks like the next batch of leaks will be available in august.. i believe benchmarks will start leaking around 45 days before launch, given that gb202 has been taped out 4 months ago, whats the best guess on launch dates?

Associate
i just caught on some news from kopite, looks like the next batch of leaks will be available in august.. i believe benchmarks will start leaking around 45 days before launch, given that gb202 has been taped out 4 months ago, whats the best guess on launch dates?
Well, I've just had a chat with some kid on the staff at Curry's and he said Oct. 12th 2024 for the 5090. He also said it costs more than his annual salary. *

* Only one of these things may be true. ;)

Man of Honour
Well, I've just had a chat with some kid on the staff at Curry's and he said Oct. 12th 2024 for the 5090. He also said it costs more than his annual salary. *

* Only one of these things may be true. ;)

For the record I work in the backend of retail distribution, or at least adjacent to it, there is no way anyone at Curry's knows through work yet.

Soldato

Soldato
And the mad rush to use ever more power continues.
I guess while GPUs are crazily parallel, new nodes are too expensive for consumer GPUs.
Efficiency really suffers for that last 10% (or sometimes only 5%) of performance.
I think it is only a matter of time until governments step in, as otherwise halo cards will end up using a KW all by themselves.

About the only thin holding them back is that cooling becomes plus PSUs must be ready - didn't mention PSU manufacturers rubbing their hands in glee earlier in this thread!?

Associate
Not without losing my job.

lol .. a univ friend works at nvidia too said something along these lines when i was trying to source a 3080 back in 2020, but this was post launch
they have an internal employee benefits portal but the latest stuff has never been available to buy
reviewers are the real gods

Associate
For the record I work in the backend of retail distribution, or at least adjacent to it, there is no way anyone at Curry's knows through work yet.
Yes, that was the point I was making to the OP. Nvidia don't even finalise pricing until a few weeks before shipping, so the idea that some no-name at Curry's UK has final pricing months before launch is laughable. :D

Associate
Rtx 5070 at 220w sounds quite good.. I’ve become a stickler for power consumption lately hence undervolting my 3080… if the 5070 can be a good 50% faster than my 3080 whilst using approx 250 watts it’ll be my next card to drive 1440p 170hz

Associate
And the mad rush to use ever more power continues.
I guess while GPUs are crazily parallel, new nodes are too expensive for consumer GPUs.
Efficiency really suffers for that last 10% (or sometimes only 5%) of performance.
I think it is only a matter of time until governments step in, as otherwise halo cards will end up using a KW all by themselves.

About the only thin holding them back is that cooling becomes plus PSUs must be ready - didn't mention PSU manufacturers rubbing their hands in glee earlier in this thread!?
4090's tdp was 450 watt which means 5090 is rated 11% higher, and i would reasonably assume a performance improvement much greater than 11%, so i think its still turning out to be a very efficient card.. you can always cap fps or use vsync if you are only interested in limiting absolute power consumption, still early days but initial readings are turning out to be quite positive for nvidia

Associate
4090's tdp was 450 watt which means 5090 is rated 11% higher, and i would reasonably assume a performance improvement much greater than 11%, so i think its still turning out to be a very efficient card.. you can always cap fps or use vsync if you are only interested in limiting absolute power consumption, still early days but initial readings are turning out to be quite positive for nvidia
4090 with 100% power setting is very inefficient when you compare it to around 80% power setting. It's exactly just last few % of performance squeeze by a lot of added power. Likely why they never pushed for initially planned much higher power use - performance increase just wasn't worth it anymore.

Last edited:
Caporegime

No surprises there...

And the stench of stale pish emanating from his vicinity wasn't an obvious clue he was full of it?

Back
Top Bottom