• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Blackwell gpus

Do they not? I thought the more I bought, the more I saved.
Well, higher clocks rather (even) bigger dies* = more heat.
So if you are using your GPU anyhow, that's "free" heating. And if you can convince yourself of that equation, there's no helping you!

* Except 5090 where rumours do point to a bigger die plus higher clocks. 2.9 might be the price in $1,000s rather than (just) the clocks in 1,000Mhz's.

Last edited:
Well, higher clocks rather (even) bigger dies* = more heat.
So if you are using your GPU anyhow, that's "free" heating. And if you can convince yourself of that equation, there's no helping you!

* Except 5090 where rumours do point to a bigger die plus higher clocks. 2.9 might be the price in $1,000s rather than (just) the clocks in 1,000Mhz's.
That's good to hear, this 4080 Super is very disappointing in that regard. It runs at 56 Celsius, a stronger CPU might push it to low 60s. But that isn't going to heat my room, unlike my AMD HD4850 which was "designed" to run at 95 Celsius and warmed my feet under the desk just nicely.

C'mon AMD, forget efficiency. Get a competing product sorted, I don't care if it's hotter than the sun, we're in a cost of living crisis :D

That's good to hear, this 4080 Super is very disappointing in that regard. It runs at 56 Celsius, a stronger CPU might push it to low 60s. But that isn't going to heat my room, unlike my AMD HD4850 which was "designed" to run at 95 Celsius and warmed my feet under the desk just nicely.

C'mon AMD, forget efficiency. Get a competing product sorted, I don't care if it's hotter than the sun, we're in a cost of living crisis :D
I don't think it matters that much how warm the GPU runs... If a card is 300W but runs at 50*C or at 90*C, the same amount of heat is dumped into the room since about all of that 300w is converted to heat...

I wonder how many 5090's Nvidia would sell this weekend, if they put up 5090 preorders for £2000, with no performance indicators or details or any kind.

I'm guessing 100,000+ :)

I don't think it matters that much how warm the GPU runs... If a card is 300W but runs at 50*C or at 90*C, the same amount of heat is dumped into the room since about all of that 300w is converted to heat...
They need to figure out a way to use a thermoelectric generator to convert GPU & CPU heat into electricity - stick a water turbine on the back of the case or something

They need to figure out a way to use a thermoelectric generator to convert GPU & CPU heat into electricity - stick a water turbine on the back of the case or something
Or use an AC. I've said it before, the cost of something like a 4090 compared to cheaper cards (even 4080), is not just the card itself... I don't think power usage will go down anytime soon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom