• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Blackwell gpus

the rumors talk about 600watts and a 2-slot cooler, this is coming across as contradicting information
Think both could be true that the full chip usually used for the xx90/ti/titan could be a 600w monster but with AMD seemingly not bothering with halo products this gen Nvidia don't have to release that chip to us peasants and can keep it for Ai.

We might end up with the smaller chips being named xx90 as that's where they perform in the stack and probably can be cooled with a 2 slot cooler.

Worse case scenario for consumer if that is the case.

Last edited:
I just hope they don't make the 5090 smaller to save money on the heatsink because the best thing about the 4090 has been the over built coolers. In 23 months my Zotac Extreme Airo 4090 has never passed 70c and usually stays around 60c to 65c with a fan speed of 1000 to 1500rpm at 2830Mhz out of the box, even in my slightly airflow restricted Evolv X case.

Current cards are ridiculously massive but are so much quieter than they used to be because of it.

Does skyrim actually play well in VR? Any nausea? The video looks great and to be fair I'd not considered using VR in this way.
Modded skyrim is truly epic and basically the closest you will get to actually feeling like you are in an open world fantasy realm. VR sickness is also a very individual thing. Some people suffer from it and others don't and often if you do get it then it improves over time. However I don't think SkyrimVR causes VR sickness any more than any other game. I am more prone to vertigo and I get that when jumping or falling off of great heights in video games. :D

Also, what do you mean you 'hadn't considered using VR in this way'?

bottomline: its skyrim anyways, again casual content.. not so much in terms of engaging gameplay or storyline, doubt if VR is any kind of purchase driver for high end cards (the medium lacks any kind of respectable content), just the PC gamer ritual, once every 24 months - going to be the same this time around but only if nvidia feels obliged to launch the cards on time
bottomline: the amount of guff that spews forth from your keyboard is truly astonishing. :D

Last edited:
I don't consider the extra power "needs" of the supposed leaked info that important, just like the 4090, the 5090 is going to be running typically in games at much lower draws anyway, and once an undervolt is applied, that will be around 150watts less maybe more? My 4090 draws less power than the 3080 Ti FE did typically.
The thing is we don't really know everything yet. We don't know if that's chip or board power use or tdp or what else that is. We don't know how much it really use in games either.

However, looking at the supposed performance increase and pretty much same process, the only way to really speed things up is to add transistors and by that increase power use considerably. That's how GPUs evolved over time - more transistors and lower process to decrease power use (and even with that it creeped up recently) - we are at the edge of possible process improvements, so it's now mostly just more transistors and more power use.

That said, my 4090 in newest games uses 350W+ all the time, when 80% power limit. If I unlock power limit it will use up 100% of allowed power. I would have to limit FPS to drop the power use - my monitor can do 175Hz and I don't limit FPS below that aside drivers' vsync. Since my CPU can fully support it, 4090 just runs as fast as it can, using as much power as I can throw at it, in any new game I've tried (Wukong, Hellblade 2 etc.).

Last edited:
Modded skyrim is truly epic and basically the closest you will get to actually feeling like you are in an open world fantasy realm. VR sickness is also a very individual thing. Some people suffer from it and others don't and often if you do get it then it improves over time. However I don't think SkyrimVR causes VR sickness any more than any other game. I am more prone to vertigo and I get that when jumping or falling off of great heights in video games. :D

Also, what do you mean you 'hadn't considered using VR in this way'?

bottomline: the amount of guff that spews forth from your keyboard is truly astonishing. :D
I'm sitting here with a 4090 and an oculus quest and haven't even considered hooking it up to the PC!

I just hope they don't make the 5090 smaller to save money on the heatsink because the best thing about the 4090 has been the over built coolers. In 23 months my Zotac Extreme Airo 4090 has never passed 70c and usually stays around 60c to 65c with a fan speed of 1000 to 1500rpm at 2830Mhz out of the box, even in my slightly airflow restricted Evolv X case.

Current cards are ridiculously massive but are so much quieter than they used to be because of it.

Don't worry Asus will always look after customers that want the largest cards and they will make sure to charge double the MSRP of the founders edition on release and still sell like hotcakes .. AKA ASUS ROG STRIX.....

A 600W card is going to need more than a 2 slot cooler, unless they make it double the length and height, so will not fit in any normal sized or even enthusiast case.. or 2 slots with a water cooler/AIO part of the package, as AMD has done with some of their reference cards in the past. I don't see any 2 slot cooler doing these silly power requirements 2 slots 300-350W max back in the day.. and most cards then would do 250W max.

We have to wait and see, we heard all this before with the 4090s and ended up 450W and even then was 100W more than a 3090 and then the 3090 was 100W more than a 2080Ti... So if Nvidia is in a crazy mood again to add another 100W to a 5090 from a 4090 that will make it 550W..

I think we all need to send Nvidia our electric bill and Intel too with their CPUs..

Last edited:
the rumors talk about 600watts and a 2-slot cooler, this is coming across as contradicting information
Not if it's 4ft long....

image.png

Last edited:
Think both could be true that the full chip usually used for the xx90/ti/titan could be a 600w monster but with AMD seemingly not bothering with halo products this gen Nvidia don't have to release that chip to us peasants and can keep it for Ai.

We might end up with the smaller chips being named xx90 as that's where they perform in the stack and probably can be cooled with a 2 slot cooler.

Worse case scenario for consumer if that is the case

600watts is looking like liquid cooling territory, unless nvidia is going for a four slot founder's edition, but since we are already at 3 slots anything is possible.. though it would look comically out of proportion

600w is doable at 2 slots with hybrid or full AIO cooling. So depends what they're doing. With cheaper cooling methods like just sticking a fan on a small heatsink, that's probably not working at 2 slot without some breakthrough in technology on the cold plate and heatsink - or unless the heatsink is larger than we think because the card is longer, I.e maybe it's 500mm long, a 500mm long card can still be 2 slot lol

Last edited:
Air conditioner uses power to throw energy outside the flat. With it you pay double - once to burn by GPU and throw into the room then again to move it outside the flat. With 300W average in current games and 100W for CPU and then 100W for stuff like monitor etc. we have already space heater and in mild UK summer it's often unbearable, which stops me from gaming in a well insulated flat. Now imagine 600W card with all the other stuff and we have almost 1kW space heater in summer - my room would shoot up to 40C easily, I suspect (27C+ currently is normal with all windows open and 20C outside). There's no way I'd ever buy such GPU, no matter how fast, without installing aircon etc. first.
It's the humidity that makes it unbearable. I suffer the same crap every summer. My room is utterly insufferable.

Last edited:
I'm sitting here with a 4090 and an oculus quest and haven't even considered hooking it up to the PC!
So you basically have both an RTX4090 and a VR headset and haven't discovered PCVR yet? LOL dude that is hilarious! :D

There's a lot of very cool games/mods so happy to chat in another thread if you want tips! Steam catalogue here. https://store.steampowered.com/vr :)
It's the humidity that makes it unbearable. I suffer the same crap every summer. My room is utterly insufferable.
The irony is that air conditioning systems are on average usually 3-4x more efficient than heating systems as they ONLY run on electricity and they are removing heat from the air which is easier than adding heat to the air. With global warming, AC units are only going to increase in usage time while heating decreases in usage time.

Last edited:

RTX 5080 and 5090 designs will be finalised this month.

5090 550W or 600W TDP?
5080 350W or 400W TDP?

Hmmmm

Guess RTX 5080 and 5090 could launch at end of Sept or Oct or maybe at CES 2025.

Humidity is a bit tricky as it changes with temperature - warmer air can hold more water. So the hotter it gets the more it absorbs water even just from our bodies plus quicker evaporation - and so it gets humid fast. UK is a rather wet country, air can get humid fast indeed.

Back
Top Bottom